Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maestro267

Lajtha: Symphonies Nos. 5 & 6
Pécs SO/Pasquet

Biffo

Dvorak: Symphonies & Concerto - Czech Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Jiri Belohlavek . Symphony No 7 from this cycle was chosen as the version on BBC R3 Building a Library. As the box set was so cheap from Amazon UK I bought the lot.

André

I cross my fingers that this one doesn't get lost, or canceled... :o

vandermolen

Quote from: arpeggio on October 14, 2020, 04:01:54 PM
I have mixed feeling toward the film music of Basil Poledouris.  At times it is interesting.

The exception is the music he wrote for Conan.

I was going to purchase the movie, which is not high on my list, just so i can listen to the music.

With this CD set I can listen without having to deal with the dreadful Arnold dialogue.  I think it sounds better than the original soundtrack.

It is cheaper to buy it directly from Tadlow.  I purchased El Cid through Amazon for $180 when I could have purchased it from Tadow for only $39.
I bought it relatively inexpensively - a great album. I like the film but especially for the music. It has a peculiar appeal - like Mad Max 2, which also has good music.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

The new erato

Arrived in the mail today:

vandermolen

Quote from: The new erato on October 20, 2020, 06:33:41 AM
Arrived in the mail today:

I'm very tempted by this one as well.

Just ordered this:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on October 20, 2020, 10:43:08 AM
I'm very tempted by this one as well.

Just ordered this:

If my memory serves the 4th Symphony incorporates Rock rhythms and a very cool part for drumkit.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on October 20, 2020, 05:44:20 PM
If my memory serves the 4th Symphony incorporates Rock rhythms and a very cool part for drumkit.

That's what I'm hoping for Cesar.  :)

I'd forgotten just how good the 5th Symphony is and played it through twice last night.

Madiel

Quote from: JBS on October 20, 2020, 05:13:11 PM
Just now

Rather more London, a little less Mozart. But interesting all the same.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

JBS

Quote from: Madiel on October 21, 2020, 01:38:48 AM
Rather more London, a little less Mozart. But interesting all the same.

The Sturm and Drang series they are now doing (so far 2 of a planned 7) is good. Same concept of mixing vocal and orchestral from several composers but focused on Haydn and Gluck in Vienna.

JBS

arpeggio

Ordered following out of print from Presto:

I just received and listened to.

Maestro267

Antheil: Ballet Mécanique; Serenade for strings no. 1; Symphony for 5 instruments; Concerto for chamber orchestra
Philadelphia Virtuosi Chamber Orchestra/Spalding

Pärt: Tabula Rasa; Symphony No. 3
Ulster Orchestra/Yuasa

vers la flamme

Quote from: Maestro267 on October 22, 2020, 08:36:19 AM
Antheil: Ballet Mécanique; Serenade for strings no. 1; Symphony for 5 instruments; Concerto for chamber orchestra
Philadelphia Virtuosi Chamber Orchestra/Spalding

Pärt: Tabula Rasa; Symphony No. 3
Ulster Orchestra/Yuasa

That Yuasa Pärt is great! Enjoy.

Irons

Took a chance on this. Any thoughts?
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

André

Violin concertos by Pfitzner, Hartmann (Funèbre) and Bernd Alois Zimmermann.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on October 23, 2020, 06:33:48 AM
Took a chance on this. Any thoughts?

I have the LP and CD but it's a long time since I heard it. I like his film music and TV music very much ('The Great War') but his concert music, as far as I recall, is a tougher nut to crack but worthwhile. I was just thinking that I must give another listen to his music. David Measham was a fine conductor who died too young.

Rock Symphony/Garbage Symphony

Scion7

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

vandermolen

Quote from: Scion7 on October 24, 2020, 02:51:35 AM

Were you aware of this release?

https://www.amazon.com/Wilfred-Josephs-Adelaide-String-Quartet/dp/B015RKXMRK

I've just been listening to Symphony No.5 'Pastoral' in the car and it's a more memorable work than I recall. The first movement reminded me a bit, in its grave intensity, of Karl Amadeus Hartmann. The slow movement has a grave beauty which is very appealing. I didn't get beyond that as I had be the arrived at Waitrose with a list of shopping but hope to listen to the rest later: