Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brass Hole

Quote from: amw on January 10, 2021, 03:15:48 AM
Eschenbach's recordings of D959 and 960, Schwanengesang (w/Goerne), and the four-hand piano music, but I would not recommend those to you either based on your stated preferences here.

I replaced Eschenbach's with Kovacevich as my 4th MI D959 a while back. I listen to D960 more rarely every passing year...

Brian

Quote from: amw on January 10, 2021, 01:33:05 AM
Sampling works well for me but only up to a point. I can almost always tell whether I will like or dislike a recording within 30 seconds, & have not yet been wrong. But actually getting a measure of its objective quality requires listening to the whole thing.
Relatedly - sampling obscure/unfamiliar music helps me but only up to a point. A 30-second sample of many, many unfamiliar pieces is enough to convince me I won't like the rest. A couple months ago there was a big CPO sale so I opened like 50 tabs of sample clips, listened to 10-15 seconds each, and closed 45 of the tabs instantly. But on the other hand, sometimes the bit in the sample clip turns out to be the most interesting part of the whole thing, like when the piece has an arresting opening followed by wandering around in circles, or when Hurwitz posts a clip of his favorite part. (One of the CPO albums I did buy based on short clips turned out to be much boringer than expected.)

Papy Oli

Two more used copies for the forthcoming Fauré exploration:

Olivier

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 11, 2021, 07:24:16 AM
Two more used copies for the forthcoming Fauré exploration:

You are in for a treat. These are outstanding in every way.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Papy Oli

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 11, 2021, 07:26:47 AM

I have already bought the Rogé twofer of those works but I thought I'd get those two as well (very cheap £2.50 each approx, hard to pass really) as they were highly praised in the Fauré thread.
Olivier

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 11, 2021, 07:31:24 AM
I have already bought the Rogé twofer of those works but I thought I'd get those two as well (very cheap £2.50 each approx, hard to pass really) as they were highly praised in the Fauré thread.
Oh wow! You are cornering the market on great performances! Those are superb as well.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Florestan

Wholeheartedly seconded.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

vers la flamme

Quote from: Florestan on January 11, 2021, 10:21:07 AM
Wholeheartedly seconded.

Thirded. Love those Domus Ensemble Fauré discs. Especially the quintets.

Madiel

Fourthed while pounding the table with profound vigour.

The quintets disc is one of my favourite things ever.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

ritter

From musicexport, an Amazon MP seller based in Greece that in my experience, has excellent service and competitive prices. All these appear to be now OOP, and I thought I'd grab them before they become unavailable.

I finally discovered Vierné's music last year (I had put it off for a long time because I really don't care for organ music, and that represents the bulk of his output). I was very favourably impressed by what I heard (the piano pieces, the Piano Quintet and the String Quartet, some songs), so I thought I'd go for his orchestral music--AFAIK, this is the only recording available--and the rest of his chamber works.

I was alerted to Antoine Mariotte by Mandryka's post in "The French Music Exploration Thread". His description (and the samples I listened to) sounded interesting. I do remember seeing years ago the Accord recording of his setting of Oscar Wilde's Salomé in the original French (work that created all sorts of copyright problems with Richard Strauss and his publishers), but that seems to be completely unavailable now.

Now this is really obscure (it came up as a suggestion from Amazon when looking at the Mariotte above--for once Amazon gets it right in that respect). Jean Cartan (member of a distinguished family of mathematicians) died in 1932 at the age of 25. Again, the samples ad YouTube videos of his music sounded very interesting.

Mirror Image

A mini Schoenberg haul:

I've read some good reviews of both of these recordings via MusicWeb, so I figured I'd hear what all the fuss was about. I do like Gardner's conducting, but he's had some misfires. I'd say he does better in Modernist music like Lutoslawski and Szymanowski for example. I'll be curious to see how he does with Arnie.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: ritter on January 12, 2021, 07:20:17 AM
From musicexport, an Amazon MP seller based in Greece that in my experience, has excellent service and competitive prices. All these appear to be now OOP, and I thought I'd grab them before they become unavailable.

I finally discovered Vierné's music last year (I had put it off for a long time because I really don't care for organ music, and that represents the bulk of his output). I was very favourably impressed by what I heard (the piano pieces, the Piano Quintet and the String Quartet, some songs), so I thought I'd go for his orchestral music--AFAIK, this is the only recording available--and the rest of his chamber works.

The Vierne Piano Quintet is superb but I found the Symphony surprisingly disappointing - the former very individual and heart-felt the latter rather too formulaic I thought.....

Mirror Image

Just bought:

I already own The Fiery Angel, Love for Three Oranges and Betrothal in a Monastery in single issues from this set, but the other three operas have become difficult to track down in their original incarnation for good prices, so it was cheaper just to buy this set.

Madiel

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 12, 2021, 08:53:16 PM
Just bought:

I already own The Fiery Angel, Love for Three Oranges and Betrothal in a Monastery in single issues from this set, but the other three operas have become difficult to track down in their original incarnation for good prices, so it was cheaper just to buy this set.

I have considered buying that set a number of times, but I think it doesn't have the librettos. How much people care about that varies of course.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on January 12, 2021, 11:57:07 PM
I have considered buying that set a number of times, but I think it doesn't have the librettos. How much people care about that varies of course.

Yes, that's correct. There are no librettos, but if I'm curious at all about the text, then, hopefully, they'll be available online. I do have the libretti to the afore mentioned operas that I own in separate issues.

Todd

A new personal record for longest delivery.  I ordered this on Halloween and it just arrived today.  It passes the Casadesus longbox order in 2003 that took two months to arrive from Amazon France since they charged me normal shipping for a 29 disc box and ended up sending via boat.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Pohjolas Daughter

+1...for the quintets.  I don't know his quartets alas.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Que

Just ordered at Presto Music:

Trying to get used to Brexit. Instead of orderering all the items I want, I have to create small batches with a value, including shipping, of under €22. Basically a small set like this, or two single discs. The deduction of VAT by Presto makes up for the increased shipping costs.
So I don't pay taxes in the UK anymore, but spend it instead on postage.

And spend less in generall - because the time of larger box sets, or basically anything else I used to order from the UK, is over...

Q

Papy Oli

A few birthday gifts received yesterday - more French stuff  ;D

(and belated Happy Birthday to fellow birthday boy Jan/Traverso for yesterday too !)

Cherry on the cake : The Bavouzet/Debussy set I had on order with Presto was delayed by a few days but still landed on Friday. Dead chuffed  8)

Guess I am starting the exploration of the Big French Three next week !!
Olivier

Madiel

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 17, 2021, 02:23:36 AM
A few birthday gifts received yesterday - more French stuff  ;D

(and belated Happy Birthday to fellow birthday boy Jan/Traverso for yesterday too !)

Cherry on the cake : The Bavouzet/Debussy set I had on order with Presto was delayed by a few days but still landed on Friday. Dead chuffed  8)

Guess I am starting the exploration of the Big French Three next week !!

Oh, there'll be some good things in there...