Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Quote from: "Harry" on January 21, 2021, 01:34:53 AM
Of course I tried that too, but resistance is futile, cutting down you will, but not on buying CD'S, addiction is stronger! :laugh:

I have been somewhat successful in reducing classical music purchases. It helps that my ability to enjoy classical music has deteriorated from what it used to be some 20 years ago. I also feel I already have "enough" classical music in my collection even if my collection is pathetic compared to people like you Harry.  ;D Nowadays I get more excited about simpler forms of music such as popular music. Perhaps I want simple music to balance out the complexities and chaos in the World we experience nowadays? Anyway, reduction in classical music purchases mean increase in purchases of other kind of music and reduction in music purchases mean increase in Blu-ray purchases (movies). In that sense resistance is futile for me.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

steve ridgway

Quote from: 71 dB on January 22, 2021, 02:48:47 AM
Perhaps I want simple music to balance out the complexities and chaos in the World we experience nowadays?

Download all the Ambient Collective albums on archive.org then. I find Avant-Garde Classical takes my mind to a clear, airy place - maybe the future that some people dreamt of fifty or sixty years ago.

Que

Traverso

Todd

I can't believe I did not buy this on the day it was released.  I am so ashamed.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

Quote from: Todd on January 23, 2021, 06:43:14 AM
I can't believe I did not buy this on the day it was released.  I am so ashamed.
Seeing Trifonov encore the Cinderella gavotte live (with GMG's own Bruce!) (Hey Bruce, do you know about this album??) was one of the coolest and best encores of my concert experience.

T. D.

From Berkshire Record Outlet, some relatively obscure recordings:

(plus 2 jazz recordings, OT, omitted)

JBS

Quote from: T. D. on January 23, 2021, 05:56:43 PM
From Berkshire Record Outlet, some relatively obscure recordings:

I didn't know about that Tharaud CD.  I can't say I'm a fan of the composer (the little I've heard from him hasn't motivated me to look for more) but I'll be interested in your opinion of the CD once you listen to it.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

T. D.

Quote from: JBS on January 23, 2021, 06:21:48 PM
I didn't know about that Tharaud CD.  I can't say I'm a fan of the composer (the little I've heard from him hasn't motivated me to look for more) but I'll be interested in your opinion of the CD once you listen to it.

I'm somewhat of a fan of Kagel; I find much of his "radio play"-like work (for instance ...,Den 24. XII. 1931) outstanding, even brilliant, but his instrumental pieces are all over the map, hits and misses.
Don't have super high expectations here, but want to hear Tharaud.

FWIW, the following reviewer of the disc in question seems to have a good handle on Kagel's work and indicates what one might expect:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2003/may03/KAGEL.htm

Harry

Ordered some CD'S at JPC, long overdue. My first order in 2021.

I especially look forward to Leon Berben's Complete recording of Weckmann's organ works on two beautiful old organs.
The Joseph Lauber is also a long anticipated disc. All first recordings.
The Novak disc is a recommendation by Jeffrey
The Constanzi disc Sinfonie per Cello is some extra ordinary fine music unknown to me.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Part two.

The second Novak disc sounded just fine, so I ordered it because of this.
The David disc I missed somehow, so that is fixed now.
The Karayev I seemed to have missed too, so also fixed.
The Vladigerov the same.

Harry

Part 3.

Both the Graener and Weigl discs I missed when they were released, so that' fixed too.

Florestan

Quote from: "Harry" on January 24, 2021, 02:24:48 AM
Part 3.

Both the Graener and Weigl discs I missed when they were released, so that' fixed too.

The Graener is excellent, especially the Flute Concerto: written right in the middle of the German 1945 debacle, it's a melodious, cheerful, happy-go-lucky work. Papageno contra Wotan --- and more power to Papageno!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

ritter

Could not resist (and the price seemed right on Amazon.es):

Brian

My Heidsieck box arrived Wednesday. I have really enjoyed the Mozart concertos and Faure nocturnes so far (to my surprise did not enjoy the heavy cello playing of Paul Tortelier).

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Florestan on January 24, 2021, 06:25:58 AM
The Graener is excellent, especially the Flute Concerto: written right in the middle of the German 1945 debacle, it's a melodious, cheerful, happy-go-lucky work.

The Flute Concerto is indeed a delectable piece. I was taken by the Violin Concerto the most, though.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Todd

I've got some Berlinskaya.  I've got some Ancelle.  Why not get both, especially at clearance price?
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

André

German composers from the second part of the 20th century

JBS

Quote from: ritter on January 24, 2021, 07:30:09 AM

Thank you for the reminder: I just ordered it from IDeals on Amazon US MP.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Irons

Quote from: ritter on January 24, 2021, 07:30:09 AM

Many Heidsieck posts the past week or so. I have waited and expected someone to mention that Eric is a member of the family that produces the famous Heidsieck champagne. Well aware probably common knowledge but needed to get it off my chest. :P   
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.