Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que, akebergv and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Brian

Quote from: Irons on January 25, 2021, 08:06:59 AM
Many Heidsieck posts the past week or so. I have waited and expected someone to mention that Eric is a member of the family that produces the famous Heidsieck champagne. Well aware probably common knowledge but needed to get it off my chest. :P   
Haha! I only found out a couple years after listening to his Beethoven. But the pianist and his drink do make a natural pairing.  :)

Papy Oli

Olivier

bhodges

Quote from: Brian on January 23, 2021, 07:31:48 AM
Seeing Trifonov encore the Cinderella gavotte live (with GMG's own Bruce!) (Hey Bruce, do you know about this album??) was one of the coolest and best encores of my concert experience.

Hey, Brian, just happened to be scrolling through this thread at the right time! No, hadn't seen the Trifonov album, not for any good reason other than it got mixed into the ongoing flood of new releases. But am adding it to the enormous queue. And thanks for citing that concert, which was great. Given the past year, now it seems like it happened during another lifetime.

--Bruce

T. D.

Quote from: Brian on January 25, 2021, 08:23:48 AM
Haha! I only found out a couple years after listening to his Beethoven. But the pianist and his drink do make a natural pairing.  :)
Quote from: Irons on January 25, 2021, 08:06:59 AM
Many Heidsieck posts the past week or so. I have waited and expected someone to mention that Eric is a member of the family that produces the famous Heidsieck champagne. Well aware probably common knowledge but needed to get it off my chest. :P   

I recognized the name and found out about it before purchasing the Beethoven recordings.

There's some interesting US history with the family:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Heidsieck

The new erato

Well I guess I have to open one of my bottles of Heidsieck Cuvee Millenaires when I receive the set.

Brian

Quote from: Brewski on January 25, 2021, 09:00:40 AM
Hey, Brian, just happened to be scrolling through this thread at the right time! No, hadn't seen the Trifonov album, not for any good reason other than it got mixed into the ongoing flood of new releases. But am adding it to the enormous queue. And thanks for citing that concert, which was great. Given the past year, now it seems like it happened during another lifetime.

--Bruce
Gosh, it does. :( We were planning to return to NYC for a weekend in fall 2020. Would be nice if we could in fall 2021! But even that may not be guaranteed...

Daverz

I've gotten into the habit of generating the spectrogram (showing the frequency response in time) of downloads.  Something went really wrong with this download of this CPO album from Presto:

The spectrogram shows the frequency response cutting off abruptly at about 15 kHz.  This is roughly the response of a 96 kbps MP3 file.  CPO CDs and 16/44 downloads typically have a frequency response that cuts off close to the limit of 22 kHz.

Harry

Quote from: The new erato on January 25, 2021, 01:27:06 PM
Well I guess I have to open one of my bottle of Heidsieck Cuvee Millensires when I receive the set.

Do not forget to invite me, you can't possibly drink this bottle all on your own. :laugh:
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

The new erato

Quote from: "Harry" on January 25, 2021, 11:36:29 PM
Do not forget to invite me, you can't possibly drink this bottle all on your own. :laugh:

Hehe. I have a wife who loves Champagne!

vandermolen

Second hand:

New £12.00 (5 x CD)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

The Tower of Babel:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Todd

Stacked up physical media pre-orders.  Now discs will arrive sort of out of the blue, something I rather enjoy. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

Ran across a wholesale lot of Ensemble Villa Musica's Hindemith series Complete Sonatas, Vols. 1-7 on eBay, so I snagged it while I could:

There are some other recordings of Ensemble Villa Musica's Hindemith outside of these volumes that I'll probably have to buy as downloads since they're quite difficult to come by as I believe they're all OOP.

Edit: I ended up buying the remain three volumes via downloads since they are so difficult to track down for decent prices -

DavidW

Since I had been listening so much to V-L's wartime symphonies thought I would be supportive and buy the recording and not just stream it.

[asin]B00B28D5TC[/asin]

Mirror Image

Todd

The exclusion of Venezia e Napoli is offset by the $9 hi res download price.  ($7 for redbook.)

$8.70 for the download.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Stocked up on some more Hindemith:

DaveF

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 27, 2021, 05:15:54 PM
Ran across a wholesale lot of Ensemble Villa Musica's Hindemith series Complete Sonatas, Vols. 1-7 on eBay, so I snagged it while I could:

You did well there - as you say, they are rare and expensive.  I got mine cheap from an Amazon MP seller whose listing was almost impossible to find, it was so mis-spelled.  I've fallen especially for all the violin and cello sonatas and the one for trumpet, but they're all enjoyable and well-played.  Only 2 complaints: the 7 discs include all the accompanied and solo (piano, organ, harp) sonatas except for the ones for viola solo (perhaps the Villa Musica's violist couldn't play them), and the althorn sonata is played on the French horn ???  Real Hindemith completists need Alexander Melnikov's Sonatas for... disc, where it's done on the right instrument.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

ritter

My Florent Schmitt listening spree last night led me to buy this (used, as it's OOP):

I already own Marek Janowski's recordings of La tragédie de Salomé and of the Psalm 47, but this is the only way of getting the only recording of the wartime string symphony Janiana (unless one wants to buy the big Jean-François Paillard box, which I definitely do not).