Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz

Quote from: Judith on February 20, 2021, 08:00:01 AM
After debating, having a think, and asking, have gone ahead and ordered
Bruckner Symphonies 4 and 6

Riccardo Muti
Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra

Muti never lets me down🎼🎼

The Muti Bruckner 6 with Berlin is lovely. 

Once you get a feel for these works, you might want to check out Hurwitz's videos on recordings: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=935BpWUU1ec&ab_channel=DavidHurwitz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UsYoFRApHU&ab_channel=DavidHurwitz

(Yes, I know the GMG opinion of him ranges from delight to mild annoyance to loathing.  I enjoy his Bruckner surveys if he doesn't spend too much time bagging on Bill Carragan.)

TD: Filling in some Knudåge Riisager chamber music from Amazon Marketplace:

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on February 20, 2021, 08:08:30 AM
WAIT!!! WHAT!!!!  You listen to Berlioz!?!?!  I thought you didn't listen to anything pre-Schoenberg!

Sure, I love Berlioz and, believe it or not, I've been known to slip in some Beethoven from time to time. ;)

vandermolen

Quote from: André on February 20, 2021, 05:25:33 AM

I have all the VW, Szymanowski and Dutilleux works, but only a fraction of the rest. Nice compilation, nice price too.

Mozart 25, Beethoven 5 and Brahms Deutsches Requiem.
Interesting André. I have the VW CD from that set and greatly enjoy the interesting and unusual combination of works.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Wanderer

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 20, 2021, 07:44:31 AM
Very nice! I haven't even begun to dig deep into this set, but I have enjoyed what I've heard so far immensely.

I've been listening to this set extensively (21st century sampling, thy name is streaming) and I can concur that the contents are great (including an excellent performance of a particularly apt for 2021 rarity: La Révolution Grècque). I already have some of the included renditions and I have abstained from buying some individual performances in the past (e.g. Nelson's Les Troyens) in anticipation of buying the set. In fact, the only purchases I don't/can't thoroughly sample/stream first nowadays are Hyperion releases - there one still samples the old way.

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 20, 2021, 07:44:31 AM
It's also a gorgeously laid out set (similar to the Debussy and Ravel sets, but also the upcoming Stravinsky, which I have on preorder).

That's good to hear. I expect it'll look nice in the boxset frieze on top of the main library.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Wanderer on February 21, 2021, 12:49:16 AM
I've been listening to this set extensively (21st century sampling, thy name is streaming) and I can concur that the contents are great (including an excellent performance of a particularly apt for 2021 rarity: La Révolution Grècque). I already have some of the included renditions and I have abstained from buying some individual performances in the past (e.g. Nelson's Les Troyens) in anticipation of buying the set. In fact, the only purchases I don't/can't thoroughly sample/stream first nowadays are Hyperion releases - there one still samples the old way.

That's good to hear. I expect it'll look nice in the boxset frieze on top of the main library.

Very nice. I actually got this Berlioz set for free because I thought it was 'lost in the mail' only for it to show up a month later and I had already been refunded.

DavidW

Well I put Nelson's Requiem on my to listen list so I'll be checking that out.

T. D.

Quote from: André on February 20, 2021, 05:25:33 AM

I have all the VW, Szymanowski and Dutilleux works, but only a fraction of the rest. Nice compilation, nice price too.

That looks good! I've had excellent experience with low-priced Capriccio releases.

André

Quote from: T. D. on February 21, 2021, 07:32:55 AM
That looks good! I've had excellent experience with low-priced Capriccio releases.

Indeed. I have a couple and they not only feature well chosen programs, but the presentation is excellent, too - with original art covers in a space saving box. The one I like best is that of Schnittke's film music. That one can't be beat.  :)

Todd

I so enjoyed Ivo Kahánek's take on some piano music of Miloslav Kabeláč that I figured I should try some more works by the composer.  And heck, by Kahánek, too.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

Glad you liked Kahanek as I did - I have that cello album and his Dvorak/Martinu concertos. Gonna be interested to hear composer-pianist Lowell Liebermann's take on the complete (not excerpted) 8 Preludes, out this month.

flyingdutchman

Today, I bought this

An album I bought almost 30 years ago (or should I say my children bought it for me as a Christmas present). When CDs hit, I got rid of it to kick myself later as this set on vinyl were so much nicer. I am looking for the set to come to me from Germany.  Glad to have it back again. I've been looking for it for years.

vandermolen

Quote from: flyingdutchman on February 21, 2021, 08:37:52 PM
Today, I bought this

An album I bought almost 30 years ago (or should I say my children bought it for me as a Christmas present). When CDs hit, I got rid of it to kick myself later as this set on vinyl were so much nicer. I am looking for the set to come to me from Germany.  Glad to have it back again. I've been looking for it for years.
Looks like a great and attractively designed set.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Todd on February 21, 2021, 02:19:34 PM

I so enjoyed Ivo Kahánek's take on some piano music of Miloslav Kabeláč that I figured I should try some more works by the composer.  And heck, by Kahánek, too.
'Sinfonia Pacis' (Symphony No.2) is a great work and that's the best recorded performance of it.

flyingdutchman

Quote from: vandermolen on February 22, 2021, 03:49:06 AM
Looks like a great and attractively designed set.
It is a great set and back in 1992-93 my kids gave me the set for Christmas. When CDs on Olympia came down, I bought them and got rid of the set. Wrong move. I hope this set is in as good shape as that one was. Of course, I should never have gotten rid of a gift like that in the first place.

DavidW

Arrived in the mail today.

SonicMan46

Quote from: DavidW on February 22, 2021, 03:33:27 PM
Arrived in the mail today.

Enjoy David - has been in my collection for a while, along w/ Ronald Brautigam - have not done any A:B comparisons, so no comments -  :laugh:  Dave

Daverz

Quote from: flyingdutchman on February 22, 2021, 02:21:32 PM
It is a great set and back in 1992-93 my kids gave me the set for Christmas. When CDs on Olympia came down, I bought them and got rid of the set. Wrong move. I hope this set is in as good shape as that one was. Of course, I should never have gotten rid of a gift like that in the first place.

Poor transfers on Olympia?  I wonder why we haven't gotten modern transfers of these recordings.  Well, there is lots of Rozhdestvensky still languishing in some Russian archive somewhere.  I had a disc with, IIRC, Symphony No. 4 on the Zyx label, but it was an unplayable CD.

In the absence of these Rozhdestvensky recordings for comparison, I'd say the set to have is Serebrier.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on February 22, 2021, 03:50:33 AM
'Sinfonia Pacis' (Symphony No.2) is a great work and that's the best recorded performance of it.

You're talking about Kalabis, Jeffrey, but the post is about Kabelac.  ;D
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

André

Choral (a capella) music from Gorecki, Poulenc and other French composers. Suitable fare for Lent  0:).

G&S with real singers. :)