Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 22, 2021, 04:11:10 PM
Enjoy David - has been in my collection for a while, along w/ Ronald Brautigam - have not done any A:B comparisons, so no comments -  :laugh:  Dave

If it is anything like his Haydn and Mozart, that Brautigam set is probably also excellent.

Mirror Image

Placed a small order with JPC:

And this DVD with a performance and documentary on Schoenberg's Pierrot Lunaire:

André

Quote from: DavidW on February 23, 2021, 08:53:46 AM
That is an excellent recording!

Good to know, thanks. It's not the kind of music I normally enjoy (a capella singing is kind of synonymous of boredom to me  :-X). Hearing you recommend it means a lot  ;).

Brahmsian

Quote from: André on February 23, 2021, 07:39:01 AM

G&S with real singers. :)

Aha! My local orchestra, André.  :)

André

Quote from: OrchestralNut on February 23, 2021, 10:06:18 AM
Aha! My local orchestra, André.  :)

Yes ! And Bramwell Tovey is a seasoned hand, a really good conductor. I very much look forward to hear them all in this repertoire.

Mirror Image

Just bought:

A rarer, OOP recording of one of Martin's early masterpieces. This recording has the man himself supervising and even playing the piano in the performance. The fidelity is far from superb, but the performance from what little I sampled on YouTube, was downright mesmerizing. Also, I found this review to be helpful:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R60EJ6V452A1Q/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B000R30ANC

I really wish this reviewer would join GMG.

André

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 23, 2021, 05:24:39 PM
Just bought:

A rarer, OOP recording of one of Martin's early masterpieces. This recording has the man himself supervising and even playing the piano in the performance. The fidelity is far from superb, but the performance from what little I sampled on YouTube, was downright mesmerizing. Also, I found this review to be helpful:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R60EJ6V452A1Q/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B000R30ANC

I really wish this reviewer would join GMG.

Indeed, an extraordinary performance of an extraordinary work.

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on February 24, 2021, 06:04:26 AM
Indeed, an extraordinary performance of an extraordinary work.

8) Yeah, I've heard this work probably about 10 years ago, but I never followed-up in actually buying the recording. There are several recordings of Le vin herbé now, but this Amazon reviewer who I view as a Frank Martin 'expert' of sorts mentioned that this recording is the only performance that has stayed true to the score and I found this fascinating.

Biffo

Quote from: Todd on February 21, 2021, 02:19:34 PM

I so enjoyed Ivo Kahánek's take on some piano music of Miloslav Kabeláč that I figured I should try some more works by the composer.  And heck, by Kahánek, too.

I have ordered the Kabelac symphonies, due early March.

Mirror Image

Just bought:

This performance sounded so much better and nuanced than the McCabe performance I own on Hyperion.

André

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 24, 2021, 06:38:53 AM
8) Yeah, I've heard this work probably about 10 years ago, but I never followed-up in actually buying the recording. There are several recordings of Le vin herbé now, but this Amazon reviewer who I view as a Frank Martin 'expert' of sorts mentioned that this recording is the only performance that has stayed true to the score and I found this fascinating.

For more about the work, its interpreters, rare photos etc René Gagnaux' website is a treasure trove. For everything swiss, actually. That's where I found the link for the recording many years ago.

https://notrehistoire.ch/search?scope=media&query=Frank+martin&author_id=&gallery_id=&location%5Blatitude%5D=&location%5Blongitude%5D=&location_name=&location%5Bradius%5D=1000&document_date=

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on February 24, 2021, 10:40:09 AM
For more about the work, its interpreters, rare photos etc René Gagnaux' website is a treasure trove. For everything swiss, actually. That's where I found the link for the recording many years ago.

https://notrehistoire.ch/search?scope=media&query=Frank+martin&author_id=&gallery_id=&location%5Blatitude%5D=&location%5Blongitude%5D=&location_name=&location%5Bradius%5D=1000&document_date=

Thanks a lot, Andre!

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on February 22, 2021, 03:49:06 AM
Looks like a great and attractively designed set.

Eurodisc are nice clean pressings too.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Brahmsian

Got these 8 individual discs a few days ago at a local used CD shop for $21!  Including the Franck which was still unwrapped.  All of these are works I've never heard before, except for Bruckner's 4th and Bizet's Symphony in C.

arpeggio

Let us know what you think of the new works in the "Pieces that have blown you away recently" Thread.

Brahmsian

Quote from: arpeggio on February 25, 2021, 09:43:19 AM
Let us know what you think of the new works in the "Pieces that have blown you away recently" Thread.

I will indeed, as I already have one work in particular that has (I've only listened to two of the CDs thus far).  :)

vandermolen

Quote from: OrchestralNut on February 25, 2021, 07:56:46 AM
Got these 8 individual discs a few days ago at a local used CD shop for $21!  Including the Franck which was still unwrapped.  All of these are works I've never heard before, except for Bruckner's 4th and Bizet's Symphony in C.

What a great bargain! I'm jealous that you still have 'CD shops' where you are. That Popov Symphony is especially good - great CD choices.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Bought the oop of Glazunov/Jarvi. So happy.

aligreto

Bach Complete Chamber Music for Flute [Borgstede/Wentz]

André

Nothing to do with the opera. This is Ernesto Halffter's music to Jacques Feyder's silent film based on Mérimée's novel.