Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 08, 2021, 06:22:53 AM
Very cool, Jeffrey. Did you have yours done by an internet-based company or did you buy the photograph and take it to a place to have it framed?
Internet company John. I like the photo.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on March 08, 2021, 10:47:09 AM
Internet company John. I like the photo.

Excellent and you probably saved some money by going that route. I paid $59 for both the Ravel and this new Debussy (w/ free shipping of course). It'll cost you much more if you had to buy the photo and then go to have it framed.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 08, 2021, 10:51:57 AM
Excellent and you probably saved some money by going that route. I paid $59 for both the Ravel and this new Debussy (w/ free shipping of course). It's cost you much more than this to have it done if you had to buy the photo and then go to have it framed.
As far as I recall it was about £20-£25 John. My late dad was a portrait artist in a hotel in his last years and I got him to do a drawing of Vaughan Williams for me when I was about 18. It is on the wall alongside Miaskovsky! That one I had framed but framing pictures that way is now prohibitively expensive. I have a nice framed large Tintin poster which a Dutch friend gave me as a wedding present!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on March 08, 2021, 10:55:42 AM
As far as I recall it was about £20-£25 John. My late dad was a portrait artist in a hotel in his last years and I got him to do a drawing of Vaughan Williams for me when I was about 18. It is on the wall alongside Miaskovsky! That one I had framed but framing pictures that way is now prohibitively expensive. I have a nice framed large Tintin poster which a Dutch friend gave me as a wedding present!

That's great, Jeffrey. Also, that's quite a nice memento about your dad. It's good to have photographs that have some good memories attached to them that meant a lot to you.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 08, 2021, 10:45:16 AM
Just customized another photo of Debussy for my wall as the last framed photo of Debussy I own doesn't quite sit well with me and I just like this photo better. I believe I've even used this photo as my avatar at one point in time:

One reason why I went with a darker mat and a black frame is because of this Poe-inspired quote from Debussy: "The colour of my soul is iron-grey and sad bats wheel about the steeple of my dreams." 8)

André

Harry

Ordered today at JPC de.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

JPC II

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 08, 2021, 11:23:44 AM
That's great, Jeffrey. Also, that's quite a nice memento about your dad. It's good to have photographs that have some good memories attached to them that meant a lot to you.
I very much agree John.

Brahmsian

Quote from: ultralinear on March 09, 2021, 04:45:47 AM
Found myself an almost-but-not-quite-totally-knackered copy of this:

I just listened to this a couple of weeks ago on YouTube, thanks to Bruce (Brewski). I quite enjoyed it.  :)

It was part of a group of opera performances made for a televised series. I think one can get a DVD/Blu-ray box set of this series (or most of the operas in this series).

ritter

Quote from: ultralinear on March 09, 2021, 05:09:22 AM
Yes, I also watched Bruce's YT link, but when I then looked for a hard copy, all I found were CDs costing $$$, and this affordable DVD misleadingly described as "in good condition" - by which I assume the seller meant "still circular (mostly)" - rather than "has previously been baked in yoghurt."

I'd be interested in any details of that box set.
I don't know thw whole box set, and only have the (OOP and now very hard to find AFAIK) CD version of the Pendercki opera, but just wanted to say that the Wozzeck from that series (conducted by Bruno Maderna, and with Toni Blankenheim and Sena Jurinac in the leades) is outstanding. My comments when I first saw it here.

I also saw (projected in a cinema, many, many years ago) the Meistersinger conducted by Leopold Ludwig (also from this Hamburg opera on film series). I've since watched some bits of it on YouTube. Giorgio Tozzi is s very good Sachs, there's some other good portrayals--Gerhard Unger as David, Blankenheim as Beckmesser--, but Arlene Saunders and Richard Cassily are not particularly noteworthy IMHO as the young lovers. The staging is old-fashioned and not particularly brilliant, but the main problem is that the score is heavily cut (the whole procession of he guilds in Act III is missing).

Brahmsian

Quote from: ultralinear on March 09, 2021, 05:09:22 AM
Yes, I also watched Bruce's YT link, but when I then looked for a hard copy, all I found were CDs costing $$$, and this affordable DVD misleadingly described as "in good condition" - by which I assume the seller meant "still circular (mostly)" - rather than "has previously been baked in yoghurt."

I'd be interested in any details of that box set.

Here is the link to the DVD set I found the info on ArkivMusic.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/Drilldown?name_id1=9281&name_role1=1&bcorder=1&comp_id=246394

steve ridgway

I'm currently downloading a pile of Mauricio Kagel albums found on archive.org. £0.00 is cheap enough not to annoy my wife. :-*

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on March 08, 2021, 10:55:42 AM

Which Tintin poster? I bought Tintin aux pays des soviets as a present but the seller sent me the English version with a different design. They rectified matters and sent me the correct one and allowed me to keep the first copy. I have no idea how much the frames cost but suspect it was a lot more than the original print.

Mirror Image

Just bought:

This will be my first foray into Busoni's solo piano music and, honestly, I don't know what to expect, but I've heard good things about Jacobs' performances (I already know, and love, his Debussy, Schoenberg and the little bit of Ravel I've heard from him). There are some other works featured here from Stravinsky, Bartók and Messiaen, so this should be an interesting compilation.

T. D.

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 09, 2021, 01:03:59 PM
Just bought:

This will be my first foray into Busoni's solo piano music and, honestly, I don't know what to expect, but I've heard good things about Jacobs' performances (I already know, and love, his Debussy, Schoenberg and the little bit of Ravel I've heard from him). There are some other works featured here from Stravinsky, Bartók and Messiaen, so this should be an interesting compilation.

Strange, no image appeared in your post, but when I copied/pasted the link (from the "quote" template) I was able to see it.
You haven't heard any of Busoni's Bach piano transcriptions? Probably better known (esp. the Chaconne in D minor) than his solo piano compositions. I like and often listen to them, but if I think about it too much they seem a little crude and flashy in some higher sense.
I enjoy what little of the piano music I've heard, but would rate it "interesting rather than great".

Mirror Image

Quote from: T. D. on March 09, 2021, 01:24:26 PM
Strange, no image appeared in your post, but when I copied/pasted the link (from the "quote" template) I was able to see it.
You haven't heard any of Busoni's Bach piano transcriptions? Probably better known (esp. the Chaconne in D minor) than his solo piano compositions. I like and often listen to them, but if I think about it too much they seem a little crude and flashy in some higher sense.
I enjoy what little of the piano music I've heard, but would rate it "interesting rather than great".

Indeed, strange that the image doesn't appear. Anyway, no I haven't heard any of Busoni's Bach transcriptions --- FYI, I don't really listen to Bach or anything before the 19th Century, although I do listen to Beethoven and Haydn on occasion, but not too often. I'm honestly most interested Busoni's Piano Sonatas.

vandermolen

Harry

I ordered a few other things at JPC, primarily, Ricerar, Supraphon, and a lost one with Nino Rota.