Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Quote from: ultralinear on April 13, 2021, 03:48:14 AM
It's disappointing that JPC still haven't sorted this out:

Yes the ordering process worked fine with Paypal - which (speaking as a programmer) has a robust interface that is a doddle to code for - but meant I incurred currency conversion charges, which is irritating when you have a zero-charge credit card specifically for these kinds of things. >:(

JPC people are thickheaded I have learned that over the years. They claim not to be responsable for the financial part of the business, that's out of their hands. I know this to be, for I once was part and parcel of them.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

akebergv

Quote from: ultralinear on April 13, 2021, 03:48:14 AM
It's disappointing that JPC still haven't sorted this out:

Yes the ordering process worked fine with Paypal - which (speaking as a programmer) has a robust interface that is a doddle to code for - but meant I incurred currency conversion charges, which is irritating when you have a zero-charge credit card specifically for these kinds of things. >:(

Actually it's possible to change who does the conversion right before hitting the pay button on Paypal so that the credit card does it instead of Paypal. I do it all the time for exactly the reason given, having a zero-charge card. You select paying in the currency used by the vendor instead of in your own.

The new erato

I tried to order yesterday with jpc, no luck. And I don't want paypal for several reasons.

André

They still haven't sorted out how to resume shipping to Canada. They blame their delivery partner DHL but won't do anything other than say the situation is « unacceptable » (I'm quoting their answer). I've given up on JPC and deleted their site from my favourites.

Maestro267

Bought Adams' Doctor Atomic and Marsalis' Violin Concerto yesterday.

Mirror Image

Placed a small order with JPC:

Also bought via eBay:

This is all Jan's (Traverso) fault! :P I have so much Messiaen already, but I got this for a good price, so I couldn't pass it up.

Also, certainly a related purchase:

[asin]0714837946[/asin]

Karl Henning

Cross-post from Chez Stravinsky

As my appetite was whetted by the images Rafael was posting on the Stravinsky anniversary, this looked too good not to fetch in.  It has landed, in all its magnificence.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 13, 2021, 01:11:13 PM

As my appetite was whetted by the images Rafael was posting on the Stravinsky anniversary, this looked too good not to fetch in.  It has landed, in all its magnificence.

Congratulations, Karl! That is a magnificent box set. I love how all of the LP artwork has been duplicated. A treasure trove of amazing performances in unbelievably superb fidelity. I'll go further with my comments in that I seriously believe that anyone with an interest in 20th Century music needs this box set in their collection. I don't even care if someone doesn't like Stravinsky, this set is gorgeous and an astonishing achievement.

Traverso

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 13, 2021, 01:11:13 PM

Congratulations Karl,enjoy your purchase  :)

Traverso

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 13, 2021, 08:05:18 AM
Placed a small order with JPC:

Also bought via eBay:

This is all Jan's (Traverso) fault! :P I have so much Messiaen already, but I got this for a good price, so I couldn't pass it up.

Also, certainly a related purchase:

[asin]0714837946[/asin]

You didn't have the four last songs with Schwarzkopf..... :o

Harry

A few more from the Ondine sale on JPC, they have about 261 titles for 5,99€, so worth browsing through.
One CPO disc from Holbrooke landed in the budget price, so I bought that one too.

Harry

Part II

Mirror Image

Quote from: Traverso on April 14, 2021, 02:48:04 AM
You didn't have the four last songs with Schwarzkopf..... :o

I know as a Strauss fan this is blasphemy! :D But, no, it's been a recording I have wanted for quite some time, but I just never got around to since I own so many performances of this work already.

Papy Oli

On the way from Presto :

Olivier

Traverso

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 14, 2021, 06:06:46 AM
I know as a Strauss fan this is blasphemy! :D But, no, it's been a recording I have wanted for quite some time, but I just never got around to since I own so many performances of this work already.

Well,I'm curious what your opinion is after so many others. :)

Mirror Image

Just bought:

Truly interesting how Tilson Thomas has come to Berg later in life. I bought his performance of Three Pieces for Orchestra when it was released as a download-only and was floored by how well he conducted this work. Looking forward to hearing him in the Violin Concerto and Seven Early Songs, but my only hope is that this leads to other Second Viennese School recordings. The idea of MTT conducting say Schoenberg's Five Pieces for Orchestra or Webern's Symphony is making the hair on my neck stand up. :D

Sergeant Rock

Arrived ten minutes ago: Sibelius The Tempest (complete), Vänskä conducting the Lahti.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 14, 2021, 08:07:44 AM
Arrived ten minutes ago: Sibelius The Tempest (complete), Vänskä conducting the Lahti.

Sarge
It's fabulous Sarge - a great disc. Look out for the 'Prospero' movement, which I've not heard elsewhere - it is the highlight for me. I don't know if you have heard it but, if you like 'The Complete Tempest' I'd strongly recommend 'The Complete Karelia', especially the Ondine release.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: vandermolen on April 14, 2021, 08:33:22 AM
It's fabulous Sarge - a great disc. Look out for the 'Prospero' movement, which I've not heard elsewhere - it is the highlight for me. I don't know if you have heard it but, if you like 'The Complete Tempest' I'd strongly recommend 'The Complete Karelia', especially the Ondine release.

I have not heard it and will keep Prospero in mind as well as Karelia (I love the Suite).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 14, 2021, 08:38:05 AM
I have not heard it and will keep Prospero in mind as well as Karelia (I love the Suite).

Sarge

There's a 'Complete Karelia' on BIS, although I prefer the Ondine recording.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).