Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

My ears really, really liked the samples of the Maxwell Quartet's playing, and it's not on streaming yet, sooooo

ritter

Some Skalkottas odds and ends:

Plus this recently published book on Giuseppe Sinopoli's Dresden years:

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 30, 2021, 10:31:19 AM
Just bought:

The only redundancy will be the Berg (which these LaSalle performances are in the Berg DG box --- mighty impressive performances they are, too).

Hi John - I own the set (sans Zemlinsky) of the three on a Brilliant licensed production inserted above - not sure about the remastering for each of these boxes?  Not my favorite 20th century chamber string works so likely will just keep what I have now.  Dave :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 30, 2021, 01:50:55 PM
Hi John - I own the set (sans Zemlinsky) of the three on a Brilliant licensed production inserted above - not sure about the remastering for each of these boxes?  Not my favorite 20th century chamber string works so likely will just keep what I have now.  Dave :)

Yeah, I'm not sure about any remastering, but if you don't like the music very much, then there's no point in buying the DG set. :)

Edit: FWIW, if you're looking for the Zemlinsky SQs from the LaSalle Quartet, you might be able to track down the original CD release. It was a 2-CD set.

Daverz

Quote from: j winter on April 30, 2021, 10:40:00 AM
Not that I needed another collection of Mozart piano concerti or Schubert symphonies, by any means; but these called to me.  I'm a couple of discs into the Mozart, it's very nice... I find both of these sets of repertoire endlessly satisfying... relaxing, elegant music that brings peace to the soul.  :)

I really like the Kirschnereit set.  I have it on Arte Nova.

vandermolen

At the end of the alphabet...
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Stürmisch Bewegt

Perhaps you can imagine my shock and disappointment distress when I eagerly opened an Amazon package that ought to have contained my much-anticipated Cantelli box set and lo and behold I've gotten this :

Leben heißt nicht zu warten, bis der Sturm vorbeizieht, sondern lernen, im Regen zu tanzen.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 01, 2021, 06:53:11 AM
At the end of the alphabet...

Very nice, Jeffrey. You can never have too many performances of Die Seejungfrau. 8) I might own this one, too. I'll have to double-check.

steve ridgway

Quote from: Stürmisch Bewegt on May 01, 2021, 05:36:18 PM
Perhaps you can imagine my shock and disappointment distress when I eagerly opened an Amazon package that ought to have contained my much-anticipated Cantelli box set and lo and behold I've gotten this :

Oh the horror! I like a lot of rock music but the track listing on this one distresses me as well. :(

André

Traverso

Quote from: André on May 03, 2021, 11:14:38 AM

Congratulations with the Ligeti quartets but why not purchasing the complete set?   :)

André

Quote from: Traverso on May 03, 2021, 11:17:52 AM
Congratulations with the Ligeti quartets but why not purchasing the complete set?   :)

Complete set of what, exactly ?

Traverso

Quote from: André on May 03, 2021, 11:22:15 AM
Complete set of what, exactly ?

This one of course  :)

I think that there is a new edition,this one is OOP

André

Well, I do have vol 7 plus the 5-disc Teldec set. I have zero interest for the vocal works. I'm looking for the Etudes, but I find the choice difficult.

JBS

Amazon link for the reissue
[Asin]B07MCW81MK[/asin]

Le Grand Macabre is an opera that deserves hearing at least once. (Although--fair warning--you may afterwards decide once is enough.)

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

André

That's exactly the set I don't intend to buy. I don't really care for the vocal works in it. I've heard a few (including a bit of Le grand macabre). It's just not for me  :D . Like I said, a disc with the Etudes is all I plan getting for now - and I'm not in a hurry.

T. D.

Quote from: JBS on May 03, 2021, 12:12:19 PM
Amazon link for the reissue
[Asin]B07MCW81MK[/asin]

Le Grand Macabre is an opera that deserves hearing at least once. (Although--fair warning--you may afterwards decide once is enough.)

I purchased the newly released recording long ago, listened once or twice, didn't care for it and sold it. Disappointing, as I listen to a fair amount of modern opera and am a Ligeti enthusiast, but LGM just didn't work for me.

Mirror Image

Quote from: T. D. on May 03, 2021, 01:44:11 PM
I purchased the newly released recording long ago, listened once or twice, didn't care for it and sold it. Disappointing, as I listen to a fair amount of modern opera and am a Ligeti enthusiast, but LGM just didn't work for me.

+1 I love so much of Ligeti's music, but Le Grande Macabre is disappointing.

JBS

Quote from: T. D. on May 03, 2021, 01:44:11 PM

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 03, 2021, 02:11:19 PM
+1 I love so much of Ligeti's music, but Le Grande Macabre is disappointing.

I'm not too enthusiastic myself about LGM.
Quote from: André on May 03, 2021, 01:15:56 PM
That's exactly the set I don't intend to buy. I don't really care for the vocal works in it. I've heard a few (including a bit of Le grand macabre). It's just not for me  :D . Like I said, a disc with the Etudes is all I plan getting for now - and I'm not in a hurry.

Well the thing with the 100 metronomes can be easily skipped....

Turns to John [MI]
You have the new Etudes CD from Danny Driver. Have you heard enough of it to give an opinion?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on May 03, 2021, 06:03:26 PM
I'm not too enthusiastic myself about LGM.
Well the thing with the 100 metronomes can be easily skipped....

Turns to John [MI]
You have the new Etudes CD from Danny Driver. Have you heard enough of it to give an opinion?

I have, indeed and I can highly recommend it. Certainly on par with Aimard. Driver is fluent and expressive. It's difficult music to perform, but he's able to find the character of all three books. A must-buy if you know and like the Etudes.