After the preceding discussion this should be no surprise

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on May 03, 2021, 06:38:17 PM
After the preceding discussion this should be no surprise

8)

steve ridgway

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 03, 2021, 02:11:19 PM
+1 I love so much of Ligeti's music, but Le Grande Macabre is disappointing.

I couldn't get into that one either. The metronomes were more interesting as an experiment although might have been used to create something more musical by setting some instruments to a chunk of it.

Spotted Horses

I haven't purchased a classical recording in a long time, but could resist this one. I have been pining away over this long out-of-print recording for so long I could not pass it up. Badura-Skoda, Beethoven Piano Sonatas (on original instruments).

This is my second forte-piano set, after Brautigam, which I also enjoy a great deal.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mirror Image

Decided to spend some of my tax return, so I stocked up on some Henze I didn't have:

I avoided duplication with the Henze Deutsche Grammophon box set as much as I could.

aligreto

Varese: Boulez

Arrived this morning.

Papy Oli

Quote from: aligreto on May 05, 2021, 04:58:20 AM
Arrived this morning.

Are you ok mate ?  :laugh:
Olivier

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 05, 2021, 05:07:58 AM
Are you ok mate ?  :laugh:

Yes, all voluntary self inflicted damage my friend  ;D

Papy Oli

Quote from: aligreto on May 05, 2021, 05:12:42 AM
Yes, all voluntary self inflicted damage my friend  ;D

oh dear...  :P
Olivier

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 05, 2021, 05:17:07 AM
oh dear...  :P

Of course, I blame you as I was first introduced to Varese on your French Music Thread  ;)

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on May 05, 2021, 06:20:47 AM
Of course, I blame you as I was first introduced to Varese on your French Music Thread  ;)

That' the spirit  ;)

steve ridgway

Quote from: aligreto on May 05, 2021, 06:20:47 AM

Hmmm....

Mirror Image

Quote from: aligreto on May 05, 2021, 04:58:20 AM

Arrived this morning.

Personally, I'm more excited about the prospect of you getting into the Second Viennese School. When you do, we'll have a lot to talk about, Fergus.

aligreto

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 05, 2021, 06:57:55 AM
Personally, I'm more excited about the prospect of you getting into the Second Viennese School. When you do, we'll have a lot to talk about, Fergus.

Small steps, John, but I look forward to it.

Mirror Image

Quote from: aligreto on May 05, 2021, 07:02:34 AM
Small steps, John, but I look forward to it.

Yes, indeed. Next thing we know, you'll be listening to Ligeti. ;D

aligreto

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 05, 2021, 07:05:22 AM
Yes, indeed. Next thing we know, you'll be listening to Ligeti. ;D

That sounds like a challenge  ;D

Mirror Image

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on May 05, 2021, 07:23:57 AM
That sounds like a challenge  ;D

I think you might be surprised  how accessible some pieces are and ...... excitingly beautiful.  :) Boulez is a harder nut to crack.  ???

Mirror Image

Quote from: Traverso on May 05, 2021, 07:43:06 AM
I think you might be surprised  how accessible some pieces are and ...... excitingly beautiful.  :) Boulez is a harder nut to crack.  ???

Boulez can be a difficult composer for sure, but I think Fergus should save him for later. When I finally got around to Boulez, I was actually ready for the music as I had already heard so much from Scelsi, Berio, Xenakis, Ligeti, Carter, etc. Boulez for me is like the missing link between Debussy and Webern. There's a sensuality in his music but there's also a certain cool detachment. This is just my own perspective of course.