Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve ridgway

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 05, 2021, 07:46:59 AM
Boulez can be a difficult composer for sure, but I think Fergus should save him for later. When I finally got around to Boulez, I was actually ready for the music as I had already heard so much from Scelsi, Berio, Xenakis, Ligeti, Carter, etc. Boulez for me is like the missing link between Debussy and Webern. There's a sensuality in his music but there's also a certain cool detachment. This is just my own perspective of course.

I started on Varese and Ligeti without the disadvantage of having listened to earlier classical music first. ;)

Traverso

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 05, 2021, 08:01:46 AM
I started on Varese and Ligeti without the disadvantage of having listened to earlier classical music first. ;)

There are always exceptions, for mere mortals it is obvious to start at the bottom of the stairs.  ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 05, 2021, 08:01:46 AM

Well, it's certainly easier for some to start with post-war avant-garde than with Mahler or Shostakovich. :)

The new erato

Some Ondine sent from europadisc:

The new erato

And some stuff from presto:

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on May 05, 2021, 07:43:06 AM
I think you might be surprised  how accessible some pieces are and ...... excitingly beautiful.  :)

Cheers, Jan. I do not fear such music. I just need to build up my knowledge of the musical language and sound world a lot of this music inhabits. I do not want to come to it unprepared, if you like, for fear of dismissing it out of my own ignorance.

The new erato

Quote from: aligreto on May 06, 2021, 01:42:40 AM
Cheers, Jan. I do not fear such music. I just need to build up my knowledge of the musical language and sound world a lot of this music inhabits. I do not want to come to it unprepared, if you like, for fear of dismissing it out of my own ignorance.
In whatever one does, context is everything.

I have a feeling I would have liked much more jazz, if I had had the time.....but one needs to have some priorities, and classical music and wine takes up my time and monies..... :o And an interest in European history.

To my surprise, after seeing all 3 seasons of Netflix' "Drive to survive", I watch formula 1 with great interest.

aligreto

Quote from: The new erato on May 06, 2021, 01:48:35 AM
In whatever one does, context is everything.

I have a feeling I would have liked much more jazz, if I had had the time.....but one needs to have som priorities, and classical music and wine takes up my time and monies..... :o And an interest in European history.

To my surprise, after seeing all 3 seasons of Netflix' "Drive to survive", I watch forlua 1 with great interest.

It is surprising the paths Life can sometimes lead one down.
Also, I am certainly no aficionado in either field but I can certainly confirm that jazz and wine make good companions  ;D

Que

Quote from: The new erato on May 06, 2021, 12:57:54 AM
Some Ondine sent from europadisc:

I quite enjoyed that one!  :)

bhodges

Lukas Ligeti: That Which Has Remained...That Which Will Emerge... (2021) - The latest from the percussionist and composer (son of György), created in Warsaw, with references to memories of his family.

https://www.col-legno.com/en/shop/20452-lukas-ligeti-that-which-has-remained

--Bruce

ritter

From Disco 100 in Barcelona (one of the few remaining truly great CD stores in Europe I'm aware of):

Juan José Castro was one of the leading musical figures in Argentina in the 20th century (with a close connection to Manuel de Falla in his Argentinian exile). Martin Fierro is the literary creation of the gauchesco style, so I suppose this work will be strongly nationalistic. What I know to date by Castro so far (his piano music and, most particularly, an orchestral piece in memory of Falla) has been interesting. This Argentinian release from the late 90s is a real rarity.

First approach to Widor (as I'm not into organ music, I suppose I won't be exploring this composer in depth).

Further exploring Caplet (not quite convinced by this composer from what I've listened to so far).

This ASV CD (later reissued by Naxos) includes some Milhaud songs I don't know. I saw soprano Carole Farley live as Salome in Caracas some 40 years ago now, so there's also some nostalgia involved here.

All these Malipiero works will be new to me.

For the Introduzione, Corale e Marcia, op. 57 (I already know the other Casella works on this CD, although it'll be nice to have another recording of the Symphony No. 3).

As is almost invariably the case, you need to add yet another recording of La tragédie de Salomé to your collection to get access to other pieces by Florent Schmitt (I do know Oriane—full ballet, as opposed to the suite presented here—from a broadcast recording conducted by Martinon on Forgotten Records). 

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on May 06, 2021, 01:45:46 PM
Martin Fierro is the literary creation of the gauchesco style

This reminds me that I've bought this book:

many moons ago yet never got around reading it.

Must I?  ???
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on May 06, 2021, 01:59:45 PM
This reminds me that I've bought this book:

many moons ago yet never got around reading it.

Must I?  ???
I don't have the foggiest idea, Andrei. I've heard of that book, but never read it (and am unlikely to do so anytime soon).

Un abrazo desde la ciudad condal....

André

Mirror Image

Just bought:

I already owned a good bit of Schreker in my collection, but mainly of works like Kammersymphonie, Vorspiel zu einem Drama et. al.

Wanderer

I already have the above two on DVD, but the local CD store has a sale on the Blu-rays and... you know where this is going.

More purchases:

Wanderer

Quote from: ritter on May 06, 2021, 01:45:46 PM
From Disco 100 in Barcelona (one of the few remaining truly great CD stores in Europe I'm aware of):

Thanks for that, noted. Any recommended classical CD stores in Madrid? I may visit next year.

Mirror Image

Harry

ordered
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

ritter

Quote from: Wanderer on May 07, 2021, 05:01:16 AM
Thanks for that, noted. Any recommended classical CD stores in Madrid? I may visit next year.
Unfortunately, there's nothing of the same calibre in Madrid. La Quinta de Mahler (on Calle Galileo) has some off-the-beaten-track things on small labels. Their previous store (in the old town, close to the opera house) was charming, but the new one is much less alluring. There's also Sinfonía on Calle Fernando el Católico (not far from  La Quinta de Mahler), which stocks many OOP releases. Then there's La Metralleta (in Plaza de las Descalzas, near Puerta del Sol), which deals in second-hand stuff (very disorganised, but sometimes one can find real jewels). Nearby FNAC has a small classical section. That's about it....