Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: ritter on May 07, 2021, 12:50:36 PM
Unfortunately, there's nothing of the same calibre in Madrid. La Quinta de Mahler (on Calle Galileo) has some off-the-beaten-track things on small labels. There previous store (in the old town, close to the opera house) was charming, but the new one is much less alluring. There's also Sinfonía on Calle Fernando el Católico (not far from  La Quinta de Mahler), which stocks many OOP stuff. Then there's La Metralleta (in Plaza de las Descalzas, near Puerta del Sol), which deals in second-hand stuff (very disorganised, but sometimes one can find real jewels). Nearby FNAC has a small classical section. That's about it....

That's a LOT by today's standards!  :o

I guess to high level of access to the internet in the Netherlands has its price...
The only times I see the inside of a proper Classical CD store these days, is on holiday in other countries.. ::)

T. D.

The new erato

Quote from: Que on May 07, 2021, 02:13:32 PM

I guess to high level of access to the internet in the Netherlands has its price...
The only times I see the inside of a proper Classical CD store these days, is on holiday in other countries.. ::)
There's one store with any significant classical selection in Norway, LAWO store in the Oslo Concert house. They are online as well, and I use them from time to time.

André

Que

Quote from: The new erato on May 07, 2021, 10:47:12 PM
There's one store with any significant classical selection in Norway, LAWO store in the Oslo Concert house. They are online as well, and I use them from time to time.

Of all major Dutch cities Amsterdam is the last with a store with a Classical section. Which turned out to be downsized (halfed) on my last visit and looking a ghost of its former self - keeping afloat on new issues and 2nd hand stuff.

Florestan

Quote from: Que on May 08, 2021, 09:17:11 AM
Of all major Dutch cities Amsterdam is the last with a store with a Classical section. Which turned out to be downsized (halfed) on my last visit and looking a ghost of its former self - keeping afloat on new issues and 2nd hand stuff.

Whatever happened to Kruidvaat? I have fond memories of them.  :)

In Romania there are three major bookstore chains with small classical sections, at least in Bucharest --- and that's about it.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Traverso

Quote from: Florestan on May 08, 2021, 10:09:03 AM

In Romania there are three major bookstore chains with small classical sections, at least in Bucharest --- and that's about it.

You have to use google translate   :D

https://www.rd.nl/artikel/638507-pieter-van-winkel-speurt-naar-muziek-die-verrast

premont

Quote from: Que on May 08, 2021, 09:17:11 AM
Of all major Dutch cities Amsterdam is the last with a store with a Classical section. Which turned out to be downsized (halfed) on my last visit ...

Gosh  ??? Did you really purchase half of their stock? Or were you in company with Harry?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Que

Quote from: (: premont :) on May 08, 2021, 12:55:13 PM
Gosh  ??? Did you really purchase half of their stock? Or were you in company with Harry?

Naturally Harry beat me to it!  :laugh:

flyingdutchman

As I look at all the discs you guys buy, it always gives me the chance to see if each disc is at Qobuz. Not all are, but having you all as resources I can load up on a lot of music (and I have).  Love Qobuz.

Wanderer

Quote from: ritter on May 07, 2021, 12:50:36 PM
Unfortunately, there's nothing of the same calibre in Madrid. La Quinta de Mahler (on Calle Galileo) has some off-the-beaten-track things on small labels. Their previous store (in the old town, close to the opera house) was charming, but the new one is much less alluring. There's also Sinfonía on Calle Fernando el Católico (not far from  La Quinta de Mahler), which stocks many OOP releases. Then there's La Metralleta (in Plaza de las Descalzas, near Puerta del Sol), which deals in second-hand stuff (very disorganised, but sometimes one can find real jewels). Nearby FNAC has a small classical section. That's about it....

Thanks for the detailed listing! Saved for when the time comes.  8)

Quote from: Que on May 07, 2021, 02:13:32 PM

It is, indeed.

Athens still holds on to a cluster of classical music/CD stores at the "Stoa of the Opera", a galleria/covered passage inside the former Greek Opera building (now the Municipal Music Theatre of Athens), very conveniently (for me) situated across the street from the Athens Bar Association. There used to be five (or four?) of them, one either next to or across the other, there are now three remaining. Between them they stock (almost?) all major and independent labels. One of them, in particular, even manages to be competitively-priced compared to amazon (which did not use to be the case). The stoa/galleria also houses a small number of other quirky shops, including Athens' main (and perhaps only?) philotelic store, as well as an arthouse cinema (of which there are several in the area).

Quote from: Florestan on May 08, 2021, 10:09:03 AM

In Athens there's only one major bookstore chain that still maintains a husk of a classical section, by no means comprehensive and, of course, eternally shrinking. My last visits had been pre-corona, idly browsing before going to a nearby cinema. There used to be instances when one could find the occasional underpriced new release or an OOP gem in mint condition, but it usually just stocked overpriced new releases from major labels and Andrea Bocelli albums.

Wanderer

Quote from: (: premont :) on May 08, 2021, 12:55:13 PM

No stock on Earth can resist the onslaught from a dedicated GMG'er, let alone two.

Que

Quote from: Wanderer on May 08, 2021, 10:58:43 PM
No stock on Earth can resist the onslaught from a dedicated GMG'er, let alone two.

At this point in time the collections of several of of us will be larger than those of the Classical stores that are left.  ;)

Florestan

Quote from: Traverso on May 08, 2021, 11:36:11 AM
You have to use google translate   :D

https://www.rd.nl/artikel/638507-pieter-van-winkel-speurt-naar-muziek-die-verrast

Thanks but it's funny. I clicked the link and got the following, which I actually understood more than I expected (haven't practiced my Dutch since I left Netherlands in 2002).

Fijn dat u belangstelling
hebt voor RD.nl

Vandaag is het zondag. Een wekelijkse rustdag, die wij houden op de zondag, is een opdracht en een geschenk van God. We wijden deze dag in het bijzonder aan de dienst van God. Daarbij is de zondag voor christenen ook een wekelijkse echo van de Paaszondag, waarop Jezus Christus opstond uit de dood. Redenen voor ons om vandaag onze site niet te actualiseren.

Morgen brengen we u graag weer op de hoogte van de dagelijkse gebeurtenissen, voorzien van achtergronden, commentaar en opiniërende artikelen. Zoals u dat van ons gewend bent.

Hoofdredactie Reformatorisch Dagblad

To my knowledge this is the only newspaper in the world which shuts down on Sunday. They must be really devout.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Madiel

As far as I'm aware Australia no longer has any meaningful classical CD stores.

I'm pretty sure the last physical store I visited and bought classical music from was in Berlin in 2017. It was striking on that trip how CDs were far more available in Germany than in Denmark.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on May 09, 2021, 02:39:35 AM
As far as I'm aware Australia no longer has any meaningful classical CD stores.

I'm pretty sure the last physical store I visited and bought classical music from was in Berlin in 2017. It was striking on that trip how CDs were far more available in Germany than in Denmark.

Sounds like I need to visit Germany. :), which I will do at some point (along with Austria). But also keeping Tokyo in mind as they have a Tower Records there with a floor dedicated to nothing but classical music.

steve ridgway

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 09, 2021, 06:27:16 AM
Sounds like I need to visit Germany. :), which I will do at some point (along with Austria). But also keeping Tokyo in mind as they have a Tower Records there with a floor dedicated to nothing but classical music.

Do you know what the US would charge you in import duty?

Mirror Image

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 09, 2021, 07:48:29 AM
Do you know what the US would charge you in import duty?

I'm not sure as I might not go back. :P

Brian

As far as I can tell, the small town of Spring, TX still has its own classical music shop. Used to be called Joel's, Joel died, but the store is still going.

JBS

Off Amazon

The only used CD shop near me has gone out of business. It wasn't very good for classical but it was something...

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk