Author Topic: Purchases Today  (Read 2989510 times)

Madiel and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
Re: Purchases Today
« Reply #28520 on: May 08, 2021, 11:33:31 PM »
No stock on Earth can resist the onslaught from a dedicated GMG’er, let alone two.

At this point in time the collections of several of of us will be larger than those of the Classical stores that are left.  ;)

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #28521 on: May 09, 2021, 12:43:47 AM »
You have to use google translate   :D

https://www.rd.nl/artikel/638507-pieter-van-winkel-speurt-naar-muziek-die-verrast

Thanks but it's funny. I clicked the link and got the following, which I actually understood more than I expected (haven't practiced my Dutch since I left Netherlands in 2002).

Fijn dat u belangstelling
hebt voor RD.nl

Vandaag is het zondag. Een wekelijkse rustdag, die wij houden op de zondag, is een opdracht en een geschenk van God. We wijden deze dag in het bijzonder aan de dienst van God. Daarbij is de zondag voor christenen ook een wekelijkse echo van de Paaszondag, waarop Jezus Christus opstond uit de dood. Redenen voor ons om vandaag onze site niet te actualiseren.

Morgen brengen we u graag weer op de hoogte van de dagelijkse gebeurtenissen, voorzien van achtergronden, commentaar en opiniërende artikelen. Zoals u dat van ons gewend bent.

Hoofdredactie Reformatorisch Dagblad

To my knowledge this is the only newspaper in the world which shuts down on Sunday. They must be really devout.
What is Music? How do you define it? Music is a calm moonlit night, the rustle of leaves in Summer. Music is the far off peal of bells at dusk! Music comes straight from the heart and talks only to the heart: it is Love!  --- Rachmaninoff

Online Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #28522 on: May 09, 2021, 01:39:35 AM »
As far as I'm aware Australia no longer has any meaningful classical CD stores.

I'm pretty sure the last physical store I visited and bought classical music from was in Berlin in 2017. It was striking on that trip how CDs were far more available in Germany than in Denmark.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
    Harrowing cries from across a war-torn landscape
« Reply #28523 on: May 09, 2021, 05:27:16 AM »
As far as I'm aware Australia no longer has any meaningful classical CD stores.

I'm pretty sure the last physical store I visited and bought classical music from was in Berlin in 2017. It was striking on that trip how CDs were far more available in Germany than in Denmark.

Sounds like I need to visit Germany. :), which I will do at some point (along with Austria). But also keeping Tokyo in mind as they have a Tower Records there with a floor dedicated to nothing but classical music.
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline steve ridgway

• Veteran member
    The museum of musical modernism
« Reply #28524 on: May 09, 2021, 06:48:29 AM »
Sounds like I need to visit Germany. :), which I will do at some point (along with Austria). But also keeping Tokyo in mind as they have a Tower Records there with a floor dedicated to nothing but classical music.

Do you know what the US would charge you in import duty?

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #28525 on: May 09, 2021, 06:51:26 AM »
Do you know what the US would charge you in import duty?

I’m not sure as I might not go back. :P
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Online Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #28526 on: May 09, 2021, 07:29:07 AM »
As far as I can tell, the small town of Spring, TX still has its own classical music shop. Used to be called Joel's, Joel died, but the store is still going.

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #28527 on: May 09, 2021, 05:39:52 PM »
Off Amazon

The only used CD shop near me has gone out of business. It wasn't very good for classical but it was something...

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28528 on: May 09, 2021, 11:15:17 PM »

The only used CD shop near me has gone out of business. It wasn't very good for classical but it was something...

I feel ya! The one near me, especially good for Jazz & Classical, contributed for two decades to my hoarding addiction collection.  :) And it was a perfect way to get rid of my culled stock - I'd wish I did that more back then.

It perished a year before the pandemic.. They couldn't afford the outrageous rent in the city centre, moved but lost all their customers as a consequence. Now nearly half of the shops stand empty...

Offline Wanderer

• Veteran member
  • Quo non ascendam?
« Reply #28529 on: May 10, 2021, 04:53:04 AM »

Offline steve ridgway

• Veteran member
« Reply #28530 on: May 10, 2021, 05:49:50 AM »

I have yet to find a classical CD I want in any of the charity shops round here. :(

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #28531 on: May 10, 2021, 09:12:01 AM »

Operatic binge going on, right?  :)

You could certainly do much worse than that, my friend.  8)

What is Music? How do you define it? Music is a calm moonlit night, the rustle of leaves in Summer. Music is the far off peal of bells at dusk! Music comes straight from the heart and talks only to the heart: it is Love!  --- Rachmaninoff

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #28532 on: May 10, 2021, 09:15:19 AM »
I have yet to find a classical CD I want in any of the charity shops round here. :(

It is seriously doubtful you’ll run into any Kagel recordings out in the real world. :)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #28533 on: May 10, 2021, 10:25:24 AM »
Just bought:

Online Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #28534 on: May 11, 2021, 12:52:09 AM »

The good music doesn't often end up in the charity shop.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline steve ridgway

• Veteran member
« Reply #28535 on: May 11, 2021, 03:16:27 AM »
The good music doesn't often end up in the charity shop.

A wise and comforting observation that I should remind myself of more often. :)

Offline DaveF

« Reply #28536 on: May 11, 2021, 03:49:30 AM »

I find the best are Oxfam's dedicated Books and Music shops, which usually turn up in cities and larger towns.  (There's an excellent one in Hereford, although Hereford is not the sort of place you would find yourself accidentally passing through - it's not really on the way to anywhere.)  Only problem is that the stock is priced by people that know what they're doing, so prices tend to be closer to commercial outlets.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #28537 on: May 11, 2021, 04:18:46 AM »
I find the best are Oxfam's dedicated Books and Music shops, which usually turn up in cities and larger towns.  (There's an excellent one in Hereford, although Hereford is not the sort of place you would find yourself accidentally passing through - it's not really on the way to anywhere.)  Only problem is that the stock is priced by people that know what they're doing, so prices tend to be closer to commercial outlets.
Yes, I find Mind and Oxfam best.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #28538 on: May 11, 2021, 03:03:54 PM »
Just bought:

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #28539 on: May 11, 2021, 03:25:49 PM »

Download from Presto.  First listen to this Järvi recording.  On the swift side going by overall timing of 69 minutes.  Of the recordings I have only Jansons is faster.