Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: JBS on May 09, 2021, 06:39:52 PM

The only used CD shop near me has gone out of business. It wasn't very good for classical but it was something...

I feel ya! The one near me, especially good for Jazz & Classical, contributed for two decades to my hoarding addiction collection.  :) And it was a perfect way to get rid of my culled stock - I'd wish I did that more back then.

It perished a year before the pandemic.. They couldn't afford the outrageous rent in the city centre, moved but lost all their customers as a consequence. Now nearly half of the shops stand empty...

Wanderer

steve ridgway

Quote from: JBS on May 09, 2021, 06:39:52 PM
The only used CD shop near me has gone out of business. It wasn't very good for classical but it was something...

I have yet to find a classical CD I want in any of the charity shops round here. :(

Florestan

Quote from: Wanderer on May 10, 2021, 05:53:04 AM

Operatic binge going on, right?  :)

You could certainly do much worse than that, my friend.  8)

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mirror Image

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 10, 2021, 06:49:50 AM
I have yet to find a classical CD I want in any of the charity shops round here. :(

It is seriously doubtful you'll run into any Kagel recordings out in the real world. :)

Mirror Image

Madiel

The good music doesn't often end up in the charity shop.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

steve ridgway

Quote from: Madiel on May 11, 2021, 01:52:09 AM
The good music doesn't often end up in the charity shop.

A wise and comforting observation that I should remind myself of more often. :)

DaveF

I find the best are Oxfam's dedicated Books and Music shops, which usually turn up in cities and larger towns.  (There's an excellent one in Hereford, although Hereford is not the sort of place you would find yourself accidentally passing through - it's not really on the way to anywhere.)  Only problem is that the stock is priced by people that know what they're doing, so prices tend to be closer to commercial outlets.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

vandermolen

Quote from: DaveF on May 11, 2021, 04:49:30 AM
I find the best are Oxfam's dedicated Books and Music shops, which usually turn up in cities and larger towns.  (There's an excellent one in Hereford, although Hereford is not the sort of place you would find yourself accidentally passing through - it's not really on the way to anywhere.)  Only problem is that the stock is priced by people that know what they're doing, so prices tend to be closer to commercial outlets.
Yes, I find Mind and Oxfam best.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Daverz

Download from Presto.  First listen to this Järvi recording.  On the swift side going by overall timing of 69 minutes.  Of the recordings I have only Jansons is faster.

Alek Hidell

Haven't bought much music at all in a long time, because I have such a backlog of stuff to listen to already. But this was only $25 on Discogs:

Not bad for five CDs (especially from Wergo, which tends to be an expensive label).
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

André

Mirror Image

Quote from: Alek Hidell on May 11, 2021, 05:15:16 PM
Haven't bought much music at all in a long time, because I have such a backlog of stuff to listen to already. But this was only $25 on Discogs:

Not bad for five CDs (especially from Wergo, which tends to be an expensive label).

I bought this set when it came out and I still have yet to listen to any of it. :-[ I also own this set, which, again, I have yet to listen to:

I bought both of these sets as the member San Antone is (was?) a huge John Cage fan and his posts about the composer got me curious about him. Looks like the curiosity I had fizzled out rather quickly. :P

T. D.

Quote from: T. D. on May 07, 2021, 06:32:10 PM

This was a marginal purchase, but I went for it because a discogs seller offered it at a silly low price.
As often happens, the seller pled "out of stock" and canceled/refunded the order, presumably because they (importcds*, under the alias "popmarket") realized it was a pricing error. :(

*I recognized the entity name "DirectToU, LLC" from the Paypal receipt.

T. D.

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 11, 2021, 06:22:33 PM
...[ I also own this set, which, again, I have yet to listen to:

I bought both of these sets as the member San Antone is (was?) a huge John Cage fan and his posts about the composer got me curious about him. Looks like the curiosity I had fizzled out rather quickly. :P

I bought that set last year when I was on a "number pieces" binge. It was also recommended by another GMG member, and I own some impressive Feldman recordings by the Barton Workshop.
But I didn't like it as much as expected; I think (as far as I can say where Cage is concerned  ;) ) it was the performances, as I have and prefer other recordings of some pieces in the box set.

Mirror Image

Quote from: T. D. on May 11, 2021, 06:44:35 PM
I bought that set last year when I was on a "number pieces" binge. It was also recommended by another GMG member, and I own some impressive Feldman recordings by the Barton Workshop.
But I didn't like it as much as expected; I think (as far as I can say where Cage is concerned  ;) ) it was the performances, as I have and prefer other recordings of some pieces in the box set.

Very nice, but my problem is with the composer's music. I can tolerate some those shorter Feldman pieces (with the bold exception of those incredibly long ones like the ones that basically feel like they're going on for an eternity), but I just find Cage ho-hum in general. It seems like his music doesn't entice me as I thought it would. His own musical philosophy, however, is a rather interesting one.

vandermolen

Lopes-Graca: 'The Tragic History of the Sea':
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Wanderer