Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wanderer

Quote from: Florestan on May 10, 2021, 10:12:01 AM
Operatic binge going on, right?  :)

You could certainly do much worse than that, my friend.  8)

Some of these have lingered on the wishlist for ages. A new player has been the incentive for both re-discovering my DVD, Blu-ray and 4K UHD collection and making some purchases.  :)

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Florestan

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on May 11, 2021, 04:25:49 PM

Download from Presto.  First listen to this Järvi recording.  On the swift side going by overall timing of 69 minutes.  Of the recordings I have only Jansons is faster.
That's my favourite of the various Chandos recordings of that work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Alek Hidell

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 11, 2021, 06:54:37 PM
Very nice, but my problem is with the composer's music. I can tolerate some those shorter Feldman pieces (with the bold exception of those incredibly long ones like the ones that basically feel like they're going on for an eternity), but I just find Cage ho-hum in general. It seems like his music doesn't entice me as I thought it would. His own musical philosophy, however, is a rather interesting one.

Concerning Cage, John, I feel similarly - or at least I have so far. He's one of those artists I think I respect more than love, musically speaking. But I'm gonna keep trying because I do appreciate his philosophy.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Mirror Image

Quote from: Alek Hidell on May 12, 2021, 05:51:38 PM
Concerning Cage, John, I feel similarly - or at least I have so far. He's one of those artists I think I respect more than love, musically speaking. But I'm gonna keep trying because I do appreciate his philosophy.

Well, if you find some works you think should be listened to, then don't be afraid to post them in the 'Listening' or John Cage thread. I'm always open for having my mind changed except for when it comes to Stockhausen. ;) I actually like some of his works believe it or not.

Mirror Image

Bought earlier today:

[asin]0714544388[/asin]

[asin]0714544124[/asin]

Daverz

Quote from: vandermolen on May 12, 2021, 09:28:59 AM
That's my favourite of the various Chandos recordings of that work.

I only see one other Chandos recording of No. 7 around: Polyansky. 

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on May 12, 2021, 07:29:16 PM
I only see one other Chandos recording of No. 7 around: Polyansky.
Yes, I must have meant that it was my favourite of the more recent recordings. I have the Polyansky as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

mabuse

Some conversations on the forum decided me to order these two Alvin Lucier albums from New World Records label  8)

I'm also expecting to get very soon this new album by the great James Ehnes... I am never disappointed with him :

Brahmsian

Quote from: mabuse on May 13, 2021, 09:59:53 AM

I'm also expecting to get very soon this new album by the great James Ehnes... I am never disappointed with him :

Born in my province of Manitoba.  Have seen him perform live several times.  :)

André

Great music, great artist ! To be released May 21. Thanks for the heads up, Mabuse !

mabuse

I'm glad there are other James Ehnes aficionados around here   :)

I discovered him about 10 years ago at a concert in France.
He had very generously played some J.S. Bach's sonatas and partitas for a small audience...
It's a wonderful memory !
I have always followed his career since then.

Brian

I've seen James Ehnes live at least four times? Barber concerto in Montreal and Kernis concerto here. He's one of the great violinists alive in my opinion.

Madiel

I like Ehnes too. I've marked him as a "favourite" on Primephonic so that I can explore more of his albums. When I get around to it sometime in the next 15 years of course.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brahmsian

From Presto, order placed today.

Que

Brahmsian

Florestan