Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: "Harry" on May 15, 2021, 02:06:17 AM
And the rest from JPC de
An Audite sale, 3,99 a piece. Richard and Eduard Franck.

Great deals Harry!  As you may remember I have a lot of those Audite discs but pay full price a ways back - enjoy!  Dave :)

Mirror Image

Bought this last night:

[asin]0521728150[/asin]

Harry

Quote from: Daverz on May 16, 2021, 08:21:45 PM
Don't forget this Lyrita disc:

(There's also a disc of BBC broadcasts that I haven't heard.)

Yup, have that one already, thanks for the head up :)
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 17, 2021, 06:41:55 AM
Great deals Harry!  As you may remember I have a lot of those Audite discs but pay full price a ways back - enjoy!  Dave :)

I will Dave, Thanks!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mirror Image

Just bought:

I didn't own a recording of Arabella and when going through this particular discography, it seemed that there haven't been a whole lot of performances. The roster of vocalists here is certainly noteworthy and Sawallisch is always a reliable Straussian. This recording of various lieder with Tilling really hit the spot when I did a sampling of the album. She has a gorgeous voice.

vandermolen

Schmidt (with an Amazon voucher):
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 17, 2021, 07:03:36 PM
Just bought:

Is it just me or her right leg is much skinnier than the left one?  :-\
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on May 18, 2021, 06:06:56 AM
Is it just me or her right leg is much skinnier than the left one?  :-\

It's just you. Look at the muscles on both legs. ;) This is why I don't think they should put the performer(s) on the front covers of recordings. It'll lead to some bizarre comments. :D

Mirror Image

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

My interest in Skalkottas has definitely increased --- I'm sure Wanderer will approve:

The first two were Amazon Prime orders while the others were BIS online shop orders since they're so difficult to find nowadays. I already own the other recordings of orchestral works.

Que

Mirror Image

Quote from: ultralinear on May 19, 2021, 04:19:29 AM

I have the Jurowski recording and like it well enough, but do tend to feel that it might benefit from less soft-focus and a bit more of an edge.  I've seen some criticism of Rozhdestvensky for excessive speed and harshness, but those don't generally bother me that much, so this seems the one to try.

The recent remastered set sounds fantastic to my ears, but I'm less sure of those earlier iterations. Anyway, I like Rozhdestvensky's approach to Prokofiev and I have a feeling you will, too.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ultralinear on May 19, 2021, 09:05:04 AM
Yes I have Rozhdestvenky's recordings of the other ballets in earlier releases, and do like them.  Sound quality I would say is OK for the time and place of origin, but no doubt a modern remaster would find room for improvement.  :)

Excellent. I think you'll find his Stone Flower to your liking, especially since you have the others.

vandermolen

Britten:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

Taneyev: Symphonies 1 & 3 [T. Sanderling]

steve ridgway

Some cheap used Takemitsu CDs from Amazon Marketplace.

Florestan

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 20, 2021, 07:47:43 AM

I Hear the Water Dreaming --- this line is pure Romanticism writ large. :laugh:

Where should I start with Takemitsu? Preferably some soothing, calm, meditative music.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Undersea

Some recent purchases:

I'd like to be
Under the sea
In an octopus' garden
In the shade

- Ringo Starr

JBS

Discussion of Dudamel's M8 reminded me I have had this on my wishlist for a while, so I ordered it just now off Amazon MP

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk