Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on June 10, 2021, 02:34:46 AM
I have very little Kodály in my collection, and recent activity in the relevant composer thread led me to sample the Peacock-Variations and the Psalmus Hungaricus on YouTube. I really liked what I heard, so ordered this (used):

Nice, Rafael. Would never have thought you to be a fan of this composer since it seems you're mostly into French, Spanish, German-Austrian and Italian music.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Brian

Europa has a sale on Oehms, Hyperion, and Helios, sooooo

Really excited by the collection of Checkmate (Bliss), Facade (Walton), and Horoscope (Lambert).
The unreadable one is classical concertos for two clarinets and orchestra.

Plus also - not pictured because even more unreadable - three discs of the piano music of Cécile Chaminade. Peter Jacobs at piano.

JBS

I think I have only one recording of these works, so time to get a recording of it that isn't almost as old as I am (Beaux Arts Trio, recorded when I was a fourth grader)

Includes the two one movement pieces for piano trio.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Brian

Oh gosh! The Schubert piano trios are so amazing. You'll get sucked in and want to collect. I love the Beaux Arts and am intrigued by the look of that one; also own the Weithaas-Hecker-Helmchen recording of No. 2 on Alpha (great and with the original ridiculously long but wonderful finale), and the movie Phantom Thread which makes wonderful use of the trios as well.

JBS

Quote from: Brian on June 10, 2021, 06:23:06 PM
Oh gosh! The Schubert piano trios are so amazing. You'll get sucked in and want to collect. I love the Beaux Arts and am intrigued by the look of that one; also own the Weithaas-Hecker-Helmchen recording of No. 2 on Alpha (great and with the original ridiculously long but wonderful finale), and the movie Phantom Thread which makes wonderful use of the trios as well.

I also have my eye on the Trio Wanderer recording.

Brian

Quote from: JBS on June 10, 2021, 06:47:17 PM
I also have my eye on the Trio Wanderer recording.
Me too. (And their Schumann.) They can do little wrong in my mind.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: ritter on June 10, 2021, 02:34:46 AM
I have very little Kodály in my collection, and recent activity in the relevant composer thread led me to sample the Peacock-Variations and the Psalmus Hungaricus on YouTube. I really liked what I heard, so ordered this (used):

The cover art is so cool and hip!  :o

T. D.

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 09, 2021, 03:15:39 PM
Cool, Conor. 8) I don't know their music well at all, but if you or anyone else would like to recommend some Gilbert & Sullivan, then please don't hesitate!

I looked around a bit, and it's damned complicated. Does one want all the dialogue? Historical recordings? Stereo sound? Remasters? And availability of many releases seems sketchy.

I don't really want a big box...I think that for either Pirates of Penzance (the work I'm most familiar with) or The Mikado, I'll try Mackerras (who seems a solid modern choice, albeit apparently sans dialogue and with some cuts) and a D'Oyly Carte recording with dialogue (either '50s or '60s vintage, subject to further research). Individual Mackerras releases seem available cheaply; there was a UK box set but I didn't notice any offerings. The menu of D'Oyly Carte CDs is confusing, and I'm having trouble discerning whether dialogue is included (Amazon data has become so garbled that one can't assume the displayed reviews pertain to the recording being examined!).

Mirror Image

Quote from: T. D. on June 10, 2021, 07:56:15 PM
I looked around a bit, and it's damned complicated. Does one want all the dialogue? Historical recordings? Stereo sound? Remasters? And availability of many releases seems sketchy.

I don't really want a big box...I think that for either Pirates of Penzance (the work I'm most familiar with) or The Mikado, I'll try Mackerras (who seems a solid modern choice, albeit apparently sans dialogue and with some cuts) and a D'Oyly Carte recording with dialogue (either '50s or '60s vintage, subject to further research). Individual Mackerras releases seem available cheaply; there was a UK box set but I didn't notice any offerings. The menu of D'Oyly Carte CDs is confusing, and I'm having trouble discerning whether dialogue is included (Amazon data has become so garbled that one can't assume the displayed reviews pertain to the recording being examined!).

Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably get the Mackerras recordings on Telarc at some point. I was also doing a bit of research and, yes, those D'Oyly Carte recordings are damn confusing. I'll probably just stay away from those. I definitely don't want the dialogue --- this I do know for sure. I usually don't even read Amazon reviews anymore as, like you said, so many aren't even for the recording I'm viewing. A shame that they haven't done something about this, but I usually head over to MusicWeb for reviews as the most knowledge folks seem to write reviews on that site.

TheGSMoeller

Found a few good picks at a local used store...

A few more from various online sellers...

steve ridgway

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 11, 2021, 07:12:42 AM

Cool, I used to enjoy browsing through used "rock" CDs but no longer find anything I want.

Mirror Image

Just bought:

I've been eyeing this recording for quite some time. The whole prospect of Bernstein conducting Wagner is appealing to me as he did so incredibly well in Strauss' Der Rosenkavalier. Personally, I never thought he'd be much of an opera conductor until I heard his Der Rosenkavalier. Definitely looking forward to hearing this performance.

André

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 11, 2021, 07:12:42 AM

A few more from various online sellers...

An incredible Sibelius 2nd !

Brian

Quote from: André on June 11, 2021, 12:09:25 PM
An incredible Sibelius 2nd !
Yep, legendary for good reason!

mabuse

I had heard a Ravel concerto by Alicia de Larrocha and Leonard Slatkin a long time ago on the radio ... I found it very good!
I would have to find the CD too.

JBS

(The complete music for 'cello and piano)

(With Eric LeSage as pianist)

T. D.

My Gilbert & Sullivan recording experiment:

Intended to buy just the Mackerras Pirates, but Pirates/Mikado were offered together on eBay at a very low price...
The first Pirates recording is 1968 D'Oyly Carte with dialogue, 2 CDs. The Mackerras Pirates is a 1992 release with operatic personnel, no dialogue, and cuts (incl. unfortunately the Overture) to fit on 1 CD.
Not sure which I'll prefer. In my concert-going experience, purely operatic G & S performances offer some musical advantages but tend to be lacking in acting and humor.
Didn't research the Mikado recording, but hey, what the heck.

Mirror Image

Quote from: T. D. on June 11, 2021, 06:38:33 PM
My Gilbert & Sullivan recording experiment:

Intended to buy just the Mackerras Pirates, but Pirates/Mikado were offered together on eBay at a very low price...
The first Pirates recording is 1968 D'Oyly Carte with dialogue, 2 CDs. The Mackerras Pirates is a 1992 release with operatic personnel, no dialogue, and cuts (incl. unfortunately the Overture) to fit on 1 CD.
Not sure which I'll prefer. In my concert-going experience, purely operatic G & S performances offer some musical advantages but tend to be lacking in acting and humor.
Didn't research the Mikado recording, but hey, what the heck.

Cool. I'll be interested in your opinion of these recordings once you've heard them.

JBS

My favorite Pirates has always been this, which started off as a Broadway production

The cast from left to right:
Angela Lansbury, George Rose, Kevin Kline [as the Pirate King], Rex Smith [remember him? I barely do], Linda Ronstadt.