Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Just looked, the D'Oyly Carte recordings I've been gifted (I've only listened to 1 or 2 so far in over a year, dear me) are mostly from 1949-1951 and conducted by Isidore Godfrey.

I don't think there's dialogue from memory. I'd say the recording quality is probably decent for the age, and quite listenable, but not something that I'd recommend on the basis of that. I believe the box is super cheap. I doubt it would be my first choice to buy, put it that way (but the gift has enormous sentimental value).

EDIT: This site I just stumbled upon will help in figuring out what is out there, including the plethora of D'Oyly Carte versions. It includes the author's ratings of various sets, and also seems to indicate which ones include dialogue. http://gasdisc.oakapplepress.com/index.htm

SECOND EDIT: The versions I have are not regarded favourably. Mackerras seems to get good ratings.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Quote from: T. D. on June 11, 2021, 06:38:33 PM
My Gilbert & Sullivan recording experiment:

Intended to buy just the Mackerras Pirates, but Pirates/Mikado were offered together on eBay at a very low price...
The first Pirates recording is 1968 D'Oyly Carte with dialogue, 2 CDs. The Mackerras Pirates is a 1992 release with operatic personnel, no dialogue, and cuts (incl. unfortunately the Overture) to fit on 1 CD.
Not sure which I'll prefer. In my concert-going experience, purely operatic G & S performances offer some musical advantages but tend to be lacking in acting and humor.
Didn't research the Mikado recording, but hey, what the heck.

According to the website I just discovered and mentioned above, you've picked up the 2 best Pirates versions available.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

VonStupp

Quote from: JBS on June 11, 2021, 07:47:57 PM

My favorite Pirates has always been this, which started off as a Broadway production
The cast from left to right:
Angela Lansbury, George Rose, Kevin Kline [as the Pirate King], Rex Smith [remember him? I barely do], Linda Ronstadt.

My wife laughed and laughed and laughed when we watched that movie; very entertaining. Just make sure you don't watch The Pirate Movie - complete with 'new' 80's songs and codpiece humour; truly terrible:

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

vers la flamme

Quote from: T. D. on June 11, 2021, 06:38:33 PM
My Gilbert & Sullivan recording experiment:

Intended to buy just the Mackerras Pirates, but Pirates/Mikado were offered together on eBay at a very low price...
The first Pirates recording is 1968 D'Oyly Carte with dialogue, 2 CDs. The Mackerras Pirates is a 1992 release with operatic personnel, no dialogue, and cuts (incl. unfortunately the Overture) to fit on 1 CD.
Not sure which I'll prefer. In my concert-going experience, purely operatic G & S performances offer some musical advantages but tend to be lacking in acting and humor.
Didn't research the Mikado recording, but hey, what the heck.

I was looking at that same listing  ;D Hope you enjoy those CDs.

Mirror Image

Just bought:

I own many cycles of these SQs already, but only the Borodin SQ has been the one I returned to the most often. I heard these performances from the Fitzwilliam String Quartet on on par with those from the Borodin.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 12, 2021, 09:10:05 PM
Just bought:

I own many cycles of these SQs already, but only the Borodin SQ has been the one I returned to the most often. I heard these performances from the Fitzwilliam String Quartet on on par with those from the Borodin.

Very good performances, John. I do like this set a lot. Although like you, the Borodins are my go to.

aligreto

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 12, 2021, 09:10:05 PM
Just bought:

I think that is a terrific set, John, from a performance point of view. The only issue that I have with it is that I find the instruments are too closely miced for my liking but one gets over that. Enjoy it.

Brahmsian

Quote from: aligreto on June 13, 2021, 02:27:33 AM
I think that is a terrific set, John, from a performance point of view. The only issue that I have with it is that I find the instruments are too closely miced for my liking but one gets over that. Enjoy it.

I don't have sophisticated enough ears to detect something like that.  :D

Madiel

Quote from: OrchestralNut on June 13, 2021, 02:53:54 AM

You can hear a bird singing at the end of one of the quartets... I forget which one.

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on June 13, 2021, 02:23:46 AM
Very good performances, John. I do like this set a lot. Although like you, the Borodins are my go to.

Quote from: aligreto on June 13, 2021, 02:27:33 AM

Thanks, gents. I bought this set brand new for around $12 (w/ free shipping) via eBay, so the deal was too good to pass up. What I found particularly interesting is the Fitzwilliam Quartet were able to study the last couple of SQs through correspondence with the composer. This kind of personal background may not mean much in the way to someone else, but it does to me. It gives them a special insight that not a lot of musicians had even those working while the composer was still alive.

aligreto

Quote from: OrchestralNut on June 13, 2021, 02:53:54 AM

Not in the least sophisticated I assure you; sensitive perhaps  ;D

aligreto

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 13, 2021, 05:58:58 AM
I bought this set brand new for around $12 (w/ free shipping) via eBay, so the deal was too good to pass up. What I found particularly interesting is the Fitzwilliam Quartet were able to study the last couple of SQs through correspondence with the composer. This kind of personal background may not mean much in the way to someone else, but it does to me. It gives them a special insight that not a lot of musicians had even those working while the composer was still alive.

That was the very same reason that I too originally bought the set.

JBS

Decided to pluck these off my wishlist

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

I heard the Cello Concertino by Weinberg on the car radio the other day and thought it great. As with Bliss's Cello Concerto (originally 'Concertino') the diminutive title doesn't do the work full justice:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

Quote from: vandermolen on June 14, 2021, 01:40:02 AM
I heard the Cello Concertino by Weinberg on the car radio the other day and thought it great. As with Bliss's Cello Concerto (originally 'Concertino') the diminutive title doesn't do the work full justice:

That a fine disc Jeffrey!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

VonStupp

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Traverso

Quote from: Undersea on June 09, 2021, 02:55:45 PM
Latest Purchase:

Okay, so I quite like Gilbert & Sullivan - I think I won't have to buy any more after acquiring this set...  :D

What is the best choice,this one on EMI or the Decca edttion ?

Papy Oli

More Gardiner Cantatas used copies on the way (Vol. 4, 7, 12, 20, 25).

Olivier

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 14, 2021, 05:31:12 AM
More Gardiner Cantatas used copies on the way (Vol. 4, 7, 12, 20, 25).

The set is starting to build up on your shelf, Olivier  8)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: VonStupp on June 14, 2021, 03:22:51 AM

Very nice purchase, VonStupp. I adore Poulenc's music for choir, and Tenebrae is one of the best discs I've heard. Enjoy!