Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Pre-order:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Undersea

Quote from: Traverso on June 14, 2021, 05:27:52 AM
What is the best choice,this one on EMI or the Decca edttion ?

Hello, sorry for the very late reply...
I think my previous post might have caused a bit of misunderstanding - I'm just a casual G & S fan and don't really know anything about all the different recordings of their music.
I seen you were able to purchase the same set I did so good on you! - I have been listening to it a bit over the last few days and I really like it, I hope you enjoy it too!. :)
I'd like to be
Under the sea
In an octopus' garden
In the shade

- Ringo Starr

Undersea

Recent Purchases:

Hat-Tip to aligreto and Traverso for the Tate Mozart set - I am especially pleased at being able to pick up a copy of this one. :)
I'd like to be
Under the sea
In an octopus' garden
In the shade

- Ringo Starr

aligreto

Quote from: Undersea on June 18, 2021, 02:14:25 PM

Hat-Tip to aligreto and Traverso for the Tate Mozart set - I am especially pleased at being able to pick up a copy of this one. :)

There are definitely many hours of pleasurable listening ahead of you with this set. I hope that you enjoy every moment of it.  8)

Undersea

Quote from: aligreto on June 18, 2021, 02:19:41 PM
There are definitely many hours of pleasurable listening ahead of you with this set. I hope that you enjoy every moment of it.  8)

Thank you! - I hope to spend a bit of time over the next couple of weeks listening to Mozart... :D
I'd like to be
Under the sea
In an octopus' garden
In the shade

- Ringo Starr

aligreto

Quote from: Undersea on June 18, 2021, 02:24:15 PM
Thank you! - I hope to spend a bit of time over the next couple of weeks listening to Mozart... :D

You could do a lot worse. Enjoy the music  :)

Madiel

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 17, 2021, 06:02:30 AM
Yeah, these were Japanese imports and have been remastered. They're all on the Deutsche Schallplatten label. I've heard nothing but great things about these performances. What performances do you own in Symphonies Nos. 4-9?

Kertesz for 4-6, Harnoncourt for 7-9.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brian

Quote from: Madiel on June 18, 2021, 08:43:58 PM
High quality - you are pretty well set up if you can grab Suitner, Kertesz, or Rowicki in 1-3 (though Rowicki uses an alternate edition of 2 with several minutes of different music).

Madiel

Quote from: Brian on June 19, 2021, 04:56:37 AM
High quality - you are pretty well set up if you can grab Suitner, Kertesz, or Rowicki in 1-3 (though Rowicki uses an alternate edition of 2 with several minutes of different music).

Well it was Suitner and Rowicki I was looking at.** This is the first I've heard of alternate editions?!??

EDIT: I see that Dvorak made a revision to the symphony about 20 years later after composition. Does this mean one of them isn't using the revision?

**In the sense that things get put on my Word document that serves as a kind of shopping list, gradually get refined over time, and sometimes get bought 5 years or more later.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 15, 2021, 10:39:32 AM
After the high praise Suitner's Dvořák received from various members here, I decided it was time I take the plunge, but instead of buying the box set, I opted for these Japanese reissues. Plus, I think the box sets don't contain the bonus couplings you get with some of these individual recordings like Carnival et. al.

It turns out that, while the boxes don't include those bonuses... there's also a reissue (that looks for all the world like the same series) that just has the bonuses! Rather odd decision, but there you are.

Harry

I apologize before hand if I already posted the CD's I ordered yesterday, but I do not remember it.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Brian

Quote from: Madiel on June 19, 2021, 04:59:34 AM
Well it was Suitner and Rowicki I was looking at.** This is the first I've heard of alternate editions?!??

EDIT: I see that Dvorak made a revision to the symphony about 20 years later after composition. Does this mean one of them isn't using the revision?

**In the sense that things get put on my Word document that serves as a kind of shopping list, gradually get refined over time, and sometimes get bought 5 years or more later.
That is my presumption, but none of the booklets for any of the sets I have specifically address questions of editions, which means that I don't know which is the revised and which the original version. Logic would seem to suggest that Rowicki is using the unrevised original, because (a) he's the only one to use his version, and (b) it is slightly longer, and my guess would be Dvorak was more likely to make cuts than additions 20 years later.

(I favor the standard version mostly, but the Rowicki edition has a more satisfying end of the slow movement. At the end of his slow movement, there's a whole minor key climactic outburst, which everyone else trims down to four ominous chords. To me, when it's just four chords, what's even the point?)

;D at your postscript

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on June 18, 2021, 08:43:58 PM

Ah okay, very nice. I like both of these conductors in Dvořák.

Mirror Image

Decided to expand my Dvořák operatic collection beyond Rusalka with these two recordings:

steve ridgway

Quote from: Undersea on June 18, 2021, 02:14:25 PM
Recent Purchases:

I remember G&S a bit from childhood, they used to be performed on the television.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggcu_z9Bn2A

aligreto

Quote from: steve ridgway on June 19, 2021, 09:38:26 AM

I have no idea of the music but I do like the cover art.

Undersea

Quote from: steve ridgway on June 19, 2021, 09:38:26 AM
I remember G&S a bit from childhood, they used to be performed on the television.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggcu_z9Bn2A

:D

Recent Purchases:

Hat-Tip Mirror Image for the Ravel/Tharaud. :)

I bought quite a lot of stuff in recent months - maybe time to relax a bit and listen to it all... :D
I'd like to be
Under the sea
In an octopus' garden
In the shade

- Ringo Starr

Mirror Image

Quote from: Undersea on June 19, 2021, 09:10:31 PM
:D

Recent Purchases:

Hat-Tip Mirror Image for the Ravel/Tharaud. :)

I bought quite a lot of stuff in recent months - maybe time to relax a bit and listen to it all... :D

Nice, Conor! Both of those sets are top-notch. I'm sure you'll enjoy them as well. I'd like to take a break from buying, too, but I just keeping adding stuff to the pile. :)

aligreto

Quote from: Undersea on June 19, 2021, 09:10:31 PM

Alternatively, you could continue buying and join the large sub group here called "Watching the unopened pile of purchases grow gang"  ;D

André

Quote from: aligreto on June 20, 2021, 02:32:09 AM
Alternatively, you could continue buying and join the large sub group here called "Watching the unopened pile of purchases grow gang"  ;D

:laugh: