Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 23, 2021, 11:59:23 AM
Indeed, Ray. I'm not expecting the Naxos set to be too competitive when it comes to the symphonies given that so many performances exist, but when it comes to a lot of the lesser known works, I think this is where this set could be a true asset to someone's Dvořák collection.

Given that Naxos single albums tend to remain in circulation, some of those albums with lesser known works are on my vague consideration list rather than the whole box.

You know me, trying not to have lots of recordings of the same works... although I now have four Bach cello suite recordings. FOUR!
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on June 23, 2021, 05:39:32 PM
Given that Naxos single albums tend to remain in circulation, some of those albums with lesser known works are on my vague consideration list rather than the whole box.

You know me, trying not to have lots of recordings of the same works... although I now have four Bach cello suite recordings. FOUR!

Yes, it's sometimes difficult to avoid duplication even if you purposely try. :) By the way, did you ever decide which recording of the Dvořák lieder you like the best. I know you mentioned that you've been doing a survey of different recordings.

André

Undersea

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 21, 2021, 06:54:33 AM
I had to buy the Da Ponte Trilogy from a 3rd party seller a little over a year ago, but it was new, and totally worth the price.

I received the Mozart Requiem/Jacobs recording today and have listened to it a couple of times - I really like it!.
Good stuff about being able to get yourself a copy of Jacob's Da Ponte Trilogy - I will see if I can pick up a copy too at some stage... :)
I'd like to be
Under the sea
In an octopus' garden
In the shade

- Ringo Starr

Undersea

Quote from: Traverso on June 21, 2021, 08:56:59 AM
Well chosen,that Mozart set, Gilbert and Sullivan is new for me but this box is underway to me. :) :)

Thanks about the Mozart/Tate - I should receive it and have it ready to listen to in the next few days.
I had a chance to listen to HMS Pinafore and Mikado a few times from Sargent's box-set - I'm very pleased so far; I hope you like the recordings too! :)
I'd like to be
Under the sea
In an octopus' garden
In the shade

- Ringo Starr

Brian

Got the preorder on lockdown ($115). Should arrive a day or two before my birthday. Super excited.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on June 24, 2021, 07:02:32 AM
Got the preorder on lockdown ($115). Should arrive a day or two before my birthday. Super excited.

8) Looks like a great set, but as a rule of my own, and as absurd as it may be, I only buy box sets that are centered on a composer. I did break this rule, however, when I bought the Pierre Boulez Sony set years ago, but the repertoire in that set is so insanely good that I couldn't pass it up (plus, I love those original LP cover art).

Mirror Image

Just bought:

I was looking through the Neumann discography of Martinů and I just noticed that he re-recorded Symphonies Nos. 3 & 6, so I jumped on it.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brian on June 24, 2021, 07:02:32 AM

Soooooo tempting. I know I have around 20 of these discs, but at that price replacing those is no biggie.
Thanks for posting, Brian, I didn't know about this release.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 21, 2021, 07:37:54 AM
No problem, Greg. I bought mine off of Amazon and suspect you did the same.

...and you were right, was obvious as soon as I looked at the printing of the cover art. But did get to return it and found a real release of that recording.
I don't mind CD-Rs, and I've purchased a few from ArkivMusic of recordings that are nearly impossible to find, but I knew what I was ordering because the seller did a good job of letting the buyer know beforehand. 

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 24, 2021, 09:55:47 AM

...and you were right, was obvious as soon as I looked at the printing of the cover art. But did get to return it and found a real release of that recording.
I don't mind CD-Rs, and I've purchased a few from ArkivMusic of recordings that are nearly impossible to find, but I knew what I was ordering because the seller did a good job of letting the buyer know beforehand.

Yeah, I figured this would be the case, but, at least, you found a legitimate copy of it. I loved this performance so much that I ended up with two copies of it: the original CD issue (w/ the cardboard box that houses the chubby jewel case and giant booklet) and the Japanese hybrid SACD, which I suspect is the same remaster used in that CD-R issue that we both received via Amazon.

Traverso

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 23, 2021, 12:08:05 PM
:-[ My apologies, Andrei. I'm not sure why I got you confused with JBS.

:D

Mirror Image

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 23, 2021, 04:47:01 PM
Very good to read, Brian. I was just kidding that I own more Dvořák than you, but I'd love to see a list of what you own some time. Since you asked about the Warner set's contents, I found this:

https://www.arkivmusic.com/products/antonin-dvorak-the-slavonic-soul-851704

Notice how although most symphonies are conducted by Pesek, not all are from the Czech and Liverpool orchestras. 7th is with London Philharmonic. And the 9th isn't Pesek, it is Giulini conducting the Philharmonia.

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on June 24, 2021, 12:39:20 PM
Notice how although most symphonies are conducted by Pesek, not all are from the Czech and Liverpool orchestras. 7th is with London Philharmonic. And the 9th isn't Pesek, it is Giulini conducting the Philharmonia.

Yes, I noticed this and find their selection of symphony performances odd to say the least, especially given their own catalog, which includes EMI, Virgin Classics, Teldec, Erato et. al.

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 24, 2021, 12:43:58 PM
Yes, I noticed this and find their selection of symphony performances odd to say the least, especially given their own catalog, which includes EMI, Virgin Classics, Teldec, Erato et. al.
I think their Dvorak selection is probably the weakest among the major label groups (do they have another cycle besides Pešek?), but Harnoncourt could have been used for the symphonies he recorded in addition to the great tone poem and piano concerto readings. There's a Karajan 8/9 pairing on EMI too (but it wouldn't be my choice). It is interesting that some of the Pešek readings are "alternates" that were not in his cycle.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on June 24, 2021, 12:49:11 PM
I think their Dvorak selection is probably the weakest among the major label groups (do they have another cycle besides Pešek?), but Harnoncourt could have been used for the symphonies he recorded in addition to the great tone poem and piano concerto readings. There's a Karajan 8/9 pairing on EMI too (but it wouldn't be my choice). It is interesting that some of the Pešek readings are "alternates" that were not in his cycle.

Yes, I would've done a lot of things differently, but, in all honesty, I bought this set for the concerti and chamber works, which I didn't own in these performances. I already own Harnoncourt's Dvořák recordings (which are all superb). Let's see what symphony performances Warner could've used: Giulini recorded Symphonies Nos. 7, 8 & 9 on EMI (of course, they included his 9th), Sawallisch recorded the 7th, 8th and 9th for EMI, there are many 9th performances they could've used, Jansons did the 5th and 7th, 8th and 9th, HvK did the 8th and 9th, Barbirolli did the 4th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th, Bělohlávek did the 5th and 6th, Serebrier recorded the entire symphony cycle on Warner, Szell did the 8th on EMI...anyway, for the early symphonies they could go with Pešek, but the 5th through the 9th, they had many performances to draw from, so I look at this as a missed opportunity.

Karl Henning

I've been so pleased with Vol. 6, I felt it was a safe bet to reel in Vol. 5: landed today,
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ritter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 24, 2021, 01:48:36 PM
I've been so pleased with Vol. 6, I felt it was a safe bet to reel in Vol. 5: landed today,
There's some great stuff in those RCO boxes, Karl. I have numbers 2, 3, 4, and 6, and have enjoyed some truly remarkable performances in them.

Good evening to you.:)

Mirror Image

Just bought:

Being a Martinů fanatic, I was going to get this eventually as Zimmermann is a good violinist in this sort repertoire where a more cerebral approach could work to his benefit and to the benefit of the music itself.