Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Power Pop and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

JBS

Just ordered this. Somehow no one on Amazon MP has it but Books A Million does.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on July 26, 2021, 07:49:40 PM
Just ordered this. Somehow no one on Amazon MP has it but Books A Million does.

Oh, what a coincidence, Jeffrey! I just received this box set today as I ordered it via Amazon Germany. I haven't listened to any of it yet, but I think you'll be impressed with the presentation of the box set --- I know I was. 8)

Spotted Horses

Tip from not edward, deal of the day from classical.com

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

JBS

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 26, 2021, 08:06:15 PM
Oh, what a coincidence, Jeffrey! I just received this box set today as I ordered it via Amazon Germany. I haven't listened to any of it yet, but I think you'll be impressed with the presentation of the box set --- I know I was. 8)

Not a coincidence! It was you posting your order that re-upped my interest in this set.

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on July 27, 2021, 05:33:24 AM
Not a coincidence! It was you posting your order that re-upped my interest in this set.

Ah, very good, sir! Looking forward to digging into the set.

André

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 25, 2021, 01:09:29 PM
Hi André - I own 4 of the 2-disc sets by Belder, i.e. 8 CDs, then the other day the box inserted above shows up!  A total of 14 CDs w/ Barbara Harbach - may have enough of these works already -  8)  Dave

Being on a Soler roll, I've spent some time comparing versions of favourite sonatas by Harbach, Belder, Raskin and Rowland. There are some fascinating differences. Generally speaking I respond more to Raskin's and Rowland's sense of fun and feel for the dance elements, as well as the instruments they play on - more brilliant and with a stronger bass. Belder and Harbach are very fine too, perhaps more attuned to the delicacy of some sonatas and certainly better suited to late night listening. You really can't go wrong with any of these versions - as long as you have all the sonatas covered  :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: André on July 27, 2021, 11:04:51 AM
Being on a Soler roll, I've spent some time comparing versions of favourite sonatas by Harbach, Belder, Raskin and Rowland. There are some fascinating differences. Generally speaking I respond more to Raskin's and Rowland's sense of fun and feel for the dance elements, as well as the instruments they play on - more brilliant and with a stronger bass. Belder and Harbach are very fine too, perhaps more attuned to the delicacy of some sonatas and certainly better suited to late night listening. You really can't go wrong with any of these versions - as long as you have all the sonatas covered  :)

Thanks André - guess my future may include some more Soler?   8)  Dave

André

I used to have the integral of the symphonies on EMI LPs and although HvK's schwarzeneggerian way with the allegros may lack subtlety, it certainly does not lack allure, conviction and sheer panache. I'm glad to have them back on cd.

ritter

Quote from: André on July 27, 2021, 11:09:49 AM

I used to have the integral of the symphonies on EMI LPs and although HvK's schwarzeneggerian way with the allegros may lack subtlety, it certainly does not lack allure, conviction and sheer panache. I'm glad to have them back on cd.
"schwarzeneggerian"....brilliant!  :)

Reminds me of a neologism used by one of the characters of the French series Dix pour cent ("Call my Agent") in a particularly difficult business situation: "C'est hiroshimesque".  ;D

Good day to you, André.

Wanderer

Quote from: ritter on July 27, 2021, 11:16:09 AM
"schwarzeneggerian"....

"C'est hiroshimesque".

Inspired, both. 😎

André

Alek Hidell

Arrived today from jpc:

(h/t to André for this one)

All at prices I couldn't pass up ...
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

JBS

Two things off Amazon MP

And a followup to Vol 1 of this new series

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on July 27, 2021, 06:02:16 PM
Two things off Amazon MP

8) I'll be interested in your thoughts of this set. I own the original issues, which I ought to revisit:

JBS

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 27, 2021, 06:11:14 PM
8) I'll be interested in your thoughts of this set. I own the original issues, which I ought to revisit:

I'm curious about Les Orientales, which I never heard of before now, much less heard.
Will report in due course.

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on July 27, 2021, 06:20:17 PM
I'm curious about Les Orientales, which I never heard of before now, much less heard.
Will report in due course.

Les Orientales is just a name of a program from Roth that has given to these works by Glazunov, Grieg et. al. that were inspired by the Orient, which are included along with Stravinsky's L'oiseau de feu.

André

Quote from: Alek Hidell on July 27, 2021, 05:46:54 PM
Arrived today from jpc:

(h/t to André for this one)

All at prices I couldn't pass up ...

Let us know what you make of the Marek set, Alek. I have the orchestral works set and was very favourably impressed.  :)

Alek Hidell

Quote from: André on July 27, 2021, 06:48:03 PM
Let us know what you make of the Marek set, Alek. I have the orchestral works set and was very favourably impressed.  :)

Will do. Actually, I think I intended to buy the orchestral set instead of this one. :D But I'll see how this one is.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Brian

Naxos has those Czech chamber orchestras doing all those cool 18th century symphonies, but they keep inserting prominent harpsichord continuo parts, sometimes with improvisations. And I don't like that manner of performance.  :(

Madiel

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 27, 2021, 06:24:55 PM
Les Orientales is just a name of a program from Roth that has given to these works by Glazunov, Grieg et. al. that were inspired by the Orient, which are included along with Stravinsky's L'oiseau de feu.

Well no, it's actually the name of a ballet that used those works. Not Roth's invention, but Diaghilev's.

Stravinsky was one of the early composers that Diaghilev selected to compose new music, but many of the Ballet Russes productions used orchestrations of existing music. Les Orientales comes from the same year as The Firebird, and I think might have been paired with it.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!