Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Float away on that Fauré!

JBS

Visited a thrift store suggested by a coworker. Came away with these for about $15 total. (The Meyerbeer was most expensive, at $3.99.)

There were several other interesting CDs but unfortunately they had deep scratches and would need to be ripped to a computer to be listened to.

The most interesting was a set of the Hyperion Complete Schubert priced at $69.99. (The box was severely damaged at one end.) I had to argue myself out of that one. ("No, Jeffrey, you do not need to add 40 Cds of lieder to your pile!".)

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Madiel

Nice haul! 

I have fond memories of Harasiewicz in Chopin from my Dad's collection, along with having seen the occasional reviewer say things like "Harasiewicz is really good, why didn't he get anywhere?".
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on July 30, 2021, 03:35:51 PM

Planning on it! I think I'll (atypically) listen through "in order"
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JBS

Quote from: Madiel on July 30, 2021, 04:53:00 PM
Nice haul! 

I have fond memories of Harasiewicz in Chopin from my Dad's collection, along with having seen the occasional reviewer say things like "Harasiewicz is really good, why didn't he get anywhere?".

I've had this from long ago

And I see this is available

I wishlisted it, for now.

T. D.

Quote from: Brian on July 30, 2021, 03:35:51 PM

I really want to hear Heidsieck's Fauré, but generally avoid huge megaboxes because many of the discs wind up unplayed. In this case, duplication is also a factor - I already own his LvB piano sonatas and cello sonatas w. Tortelier. But I fear the Fauré selections will be difficult to find at reasonable prices.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: T. D. on July 30, 2021, 06:13:46 PM
I really want to hear Heidsieck's Fauré, but generally avoid huge megaboxes because many of the discs wind up unplayed. In this case, duplication is also a factor - I already own his LvB piano sonatas and cello sonatas w. Tortelier. But I fear the Fauré selections will be difficult to find at reasonable prices.

It's come down $10 since I got it, and is not that much more than getting the overpriced release of the Faure. The extra expense of the set set seemed justified by the presence of some vintage recordings of Mozart Concerti with the Paris Conservatory orchestra, some older Beethoven recordings, and some other interesting repertoire, such as the Hindemith Piano Sonatas.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Karl Henning

Quote from: Spotted Horses on July 30, 2021, 06:28:32 PM
It's come down $10 since I got it, and is not that much more than getting the overpriced release of the Faure. The extra expense of the set set seemed justified by the presence of some vintage recordings of Mozart Concerti with the Paris Conservatory orchestra, some older Beethoven recordings, and some other interesting repertoire, such as the Hindemith Piano Sonatas.

Agreed.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

I wasn't going to buy any more Shostakovich symphony cycles, but I could no longer resist this Sladkovsky set:

Expensive? Yes, but I did some listening via Spotify and was impressed with playing. The reviews also seem to be favorable. Anyway, looking forward to hearing this set.

Spotted Horses

This is perhaps evidence of obsessiveness, but these two:

After hearing so many recordings of the Beethoven Quartets from Eastern European ensembles, I wanted something Gaelic. After a 30 second spot check, I think I am going to like this set a lot. (Realistically, it is only the late quartets that I am really interested in.)

Have had this set from an edition dating to the 1980's. It is important enough that I am curious to hear whether they have improved the sound in the 2017 remastering.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Brian

MI - I also have been impressed with all the Tatarstan/Sladkovsky recordings I've heard.

JBS - I like how on the Elgar/Previn CD, they had to put the names Elgar and Previn twice, just to be sure.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on July 31, 2021, 05:32:17 AM
MI - I also have been impressed with all the Tatarstan/Sladkovsky recordings I've heard.

Very good to read, Brian. 8)

JBS

Quote from: Brian on July 31, 2021, 05:32:17 AM

JBS - I like how on the Elgar/Previn CD, they had to put the names Elgar and Previn twice, just to be sure.

I think it was meant for a series, although they didn't do it on the Second Symphony.

Meanwhile looking those up, I discovered Previn recorded the Elgar and Walton Cello Concertos with Daniel Muller Schott and the Oslo Philharmonic in 2005. So that's another thing for the wishlist.

André

Purchased for 2$ 'used, like new' on Amz Marketplace

Madiel

Quote from: Spotted Horses on July 31, 2021, 03:49:42 AM
This is perhaps evidence of obsessiveness, but these two:

After hearing so many recordings of the Beethoven Quartets from Eastern European ensembles, I wanted something Gaelic. After a 30 second spot check, I think I am going to like this set a lot. (Realistically, it is only the late quartets that I am really interested in.)

Just checking, do you mean Gallic rather than Gaelic?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Judith

Just ordered
Prokofiev Symphony no 5/Myaskovsky Symphony no 23

Prokofiev Symphony no 6/ Myaskovsky Symphony no 27

Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra/Vasily Petrenko

Not familiar with Myaskovsky so new ground for me🎼🎼

Carlo Gesualdo

Hello here are my purchases today, Medieval & Renaissance Irish Harps on Turnabout Vox label, yes this LP look really very super good, this LP would haunt my dream , I swear.

Also Lagrime de San Pietro 2x LP  Lassus Raphael Passaquet ensemble , this one was expensive, but I knew in my mind I just have to order it , it's my favorite work of Lassus and it's analogue sweetness.

8)

ritter

I had been interested in this vintage recording of Die Meistersinger under Kempe (from Dresden), and it was to be had for a pittance today at Amazon.es, so I pulled the trigger.

Die Meistersinger is clearly one of my top 5 operas ever, and IMHO Act III is absolute perfection (musically and dramatically). Even if it sounds exaggerated, Ignacy Jan Padewerski's famous dictum on the piece , 'the greatest work of genius ever achieved by any artist in any field of human endeavour", is not far off the mark.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 30, 2021, 08:05:21 PM
I wasn't going to buy any more Shostakovich symphony cycles, but I could no longer resist this Sladkovsky set:

Expensive? Yes, but I did some listening via Spotify and was impressed with playing. The reviews also seem to be favorable. Anyway, looking forward to hearing this set.

While I absolutely cannot buy another Shostakovich cycle (if I did, my dear wife would find that act bitterly provoking) I look forward to your report.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Madiel on July 31, 2021, 06:04:30 PM
Just checking, do you mean Gallic rather than Gaelic?

Not sure what I meant, spell-check knew better...