Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 03, 2021, 11:16:50 AM
Or in Hungarian: Komplett hegedűművek. :)

That's actually exactly like English: Complete Violin Works.  :)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on August 03, 2021, 11:34:32 AM
That's actually exactly like English: Complete Violin Works.  :)

Damn, Google Translate. ;D

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 03, 2021, 11:43:17 AM
Damn, Google Translate. ;D

Well, take the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation, ie NATO. In Romanian, it's exactly the other way around: OTAN, ie Organizația Tratatului Atlanticului de Nord, --- just like in French, Italian and Spanish. ;D

In Romanian, the adjective is usually placed after the subject, save for poetical licenses. It's usually "a field green"; only in poetry or poetic prose one  encounters "a green field".  :D

DavidW

Quote from: Florestan on August 03, 2021, 08:29:01 AM
My idea of audiophilia is the iobsessive quest for the perfect sound, ever tweaking and updating the setup in order to achieve it and ever being in search for something better. In this respect, I'm definitely not an audiophile.

There is actually a term for that, but it is not audiophile.  The condition is known as audiophilia nervosa.  Most audiophiles do not suffer from that problem.

Florestan

Quote from: DavidW on August 03, 2021, 12:11:38 PM
There is actually a term for that, but it is not audiophile.  The condition is known as audiophilia nervosa.  Most audiophiles do not suffer from that problem.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the info.

André

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on August 03, 2021, 11:57:12 AM
Well, take the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation, ie NATO. In Romanian, it's exactly the other way around: OTAN, ie Organizația Tratatului Atlanticului de Nord, --- just like in French, Italian and Spanish. ;D

In Romanian, the adjective is usually placed after the subject, save for poetical licenses. It's usually "a field green"; only in poetry or poetic prose one  encounters "a green field".  :D

Bizarre, but so cool. 8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on August 03, 2021, 12:29:55 PM

That Villa-Lobos String Trio is fantastic, Andre. I suspect you'll enjoy, too.

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on August 03, 2021, 11:57:12 AM

Romance Languages: getting to the point immediately for over 2 thousand years.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on August 03, 2021, 01:09:38 PM
Romance Languages: getting to the point immediately for over 2 thousand years.

premont

Quote from: deprofundis on August 01, 2021, 10:06:11 AM
Hello here are my purchases today, Medieval & Renaissance Irish Harps on Turnabout Vox label, yes this LP look really very super good, this LP would haunt my dream , I swear.

This one?:

https://www.discogs.com/Elena-Polonska-Guy-Durand-Roger-Cotte-Medieval-And-Renaissance-Music-For-The-Irish-And-Medieval-Harp/master/835322

I owned it many years ago. Sweet.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on August 03, 2021, 09:56:52 AM
"Violin Works Complete"

This sounds like rather non-idiomatic English to me.  :laugh:

The adjective displaced is.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Just landed from BRO. The last time I ordered from them prior to this consignment, I couldn't say—but FWIW, they were still in Massachusetts.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Also:
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Nice, Karl. And they really put a picture of lightning on a Lawrence Power album cover.  ::)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 04, 2021, 08:01:55 AM
Just landed from BRO. The last time I ordered from them prior to this consignment, I couldn't say—but FWIW, they were still in Massachusetts.
Great choices!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Spotted Horses

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 04, 2021, 08:01:55 AM

The Tasnman took some time to grow on me, and I think I still find his chamber symphonies more fun.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Karl Henning

Quote from: North Star on August 04, 2021, 08:40:09 AM
Nice, Karl. And they really put a picture of lightning on a Lawrence Power album cover.  ::)

Right!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Just bought:

I already own the Sinae Lee traversal of these works, but honestly, I found her performances unsatisfactory and the fidelity of the recording just didn't do the music any favors. I also considered the Martin Jones box set, but I don't really think much of his pianism and the Nimbus piano sound has never been my cup of tea. I listened to some of Vehviläinen's performances via Spotify and was allured by the sound of the recording, but also her magnetic way with this music. I own a several single issues of Szymanowski's solo piano music, but I wanted something much more complete and hopefully Vehviläinen delivers the goods.

Madiel

Interesting, I've not seen that one before.

I agree with you re Martin Jones' sound.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!