Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 28, 2021, 06:03:13 AM
This recording was my introduction to Sculthorpe's music. It is excellent. Kakadu and Mangrove are worth the price of admission. Earth Cry is pretty good, too, but not as good as the afore mentioned works.
+1

For Honegger's 'Hymne' (Cesar's fault!)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

Just bought. If it ever arrives here (quite a few 'lost at sea' this year  ::)) this will be my maiden voyage into the world of Birtwistle.

:)

Harry

Some Chandos CD'S
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

A few more
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Daverz

My first purchase from norpete.com:

I ordered this on Friday evening and got it today (Vermont to San Diego), so I'm impressed.  This was half the price of any Amazon seller.  It is in "like new" condition.  (Leaving aside whether I need another P&M or whether I can appreciate the subtleties of an all French cast).

steve ridgway

Quote from: André on August 29, 2021, 09:54:39 AM

Just bought. If it ever arrives here (quite a few 'lost at sea' this year  ::)) this will be my maiden voyage into the world of Birtwistle.

I don't know this recording but there's a couple of good dense darkish pieces there and some atmospheric narrative speech / singing (in English) that has grown on me. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on August 30, 2021, 09:50:11 PM
My first purchase from norpete.com:

I ordered this on Friday evening and got it today (Vermont to San Diego), so I'm impressed.  This was half the price of any Amazon seller.  It is in "like new" condition.  (Leaving aside whether I need another P&M or whether I can appreciate the subtleties of an all French cast).

This is a great performance, Daverz. All the vocalists involved are stellar and Baudo does a remarkable job allowing the colors and hues to come to life. I hope you enjoy it. I got turned onto this recording through our now departed member, Dancing Divertimentian.

Daverz

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 30, 2021, 10:30:54 PM
This is a great performance, Daverz. All the vocalists involved are stellar and Baudo does a remarkable job allowing the colors and hues to come to life. I hope you enjoy it. I got turned onto this recording through our now departed member, Dancing Divertimentian.

Thanks.

It's also the preferred choice in Ralph Moore's survey of Pelleas recordings:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/Ralph_Moore.htm

Impressive so far, but then so is the Abbado studio recording.  I also have the Karajan studio recording here.

André

Quote from: steve ridgway on August 30, 2021, 10:09:10 PM
I don't know this recording but there's a couple of good dense darkish pieces there and some atmospheric narrative speech / singing (in English) that has grown on me. :)

Thanks Steve! I'm really stepping out of my comfort zone with this one. My hope is that I'll appreciate it on its own terms, not mine.

André

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 30, 2021, 10:30:54 PM

As in 'our dear departed' ?  :-[

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on August 31, 2021, 05:23:47 AM
As in 'our dear departed' ?  :-[

Well, no, I don't think he passed away --- I just meant departed from the forum and never returned. I miss him.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on August 30, 2021, 11:30:11 PM
Thanks.

It's also the preferred choice in Ralph Moore's survey of Pelleas recordings:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/Ralph_Moore.htm

Impressive so far, but then so is the Abbado studio recording.  I also have the Karajan studio recording here.

Yeah, I like the Abbado recording a lot. My favorites are: Abbado, Haitink, Baudo and Boulez (the earlier recording and later live performance on DVD).

André

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 31, 2021, 06:58:06 AM
Well, no, I don't think he passed away --- I just meant departed from the forum and never returned. I miss him.

Good. Yes, we do miss him.

Karl Henning

Just landed.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Sweet, Karl. 8) Hopefully, mine will show up shortly.

JBS

Quote from: Que on August 26, 2021, 01:20:13 AM
Nice, I hope you'll like it! :)
The complete 3CDset is very rare, so it's a good find - particularly across the Pond.
The folded cardboard slipcase is very fragile.... Mine was is tatters, but that was no big deal since each dic has its own case and it comes with a very sturdy hardcover book(let). Traverso's copy, seems however to be in pristine condition!  :D

What was supposed to be this arrived today from Amazon vendor Melisande in Quebec.
It was in fact not the full 3 CD set but the single CD of highlights.  I've already told Amazon and Melisande it needs to be returned.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Traverso

Quote from: JBS on August 31, 2021, 03:44:16 PM
What was supposed to be this arrived today from Amazon vendor Melisande in Quebec.
It was in fact not the full 3 CD set but the single CD of highlights.  I've already told Amazon and Melisande it needs to be returned.

Sorry to hear this,I hope that you will succeed finding a complete set with book. :)

This may have your attention....

https://fr.shopping.rakuten.com/offer/buy/49057432/Jacob-Handl-Gallus-Ensemble-Singer-Pur-Moralia-Harmoniae-Morales-CD-Album.html

Que

Quote from: JBS on August 31, 2021, 03:44:16 PM

Bummer!  :(

Quote from: Traverso on September 01, 2021, 02:57:39 AM
This may have your attention....

https://fr.shopping.rakuten.com/offer/buy/49057432/Jacob-Handl-Gallus-Ensemble-Singer-Pur-Moralia-Harmoniae-Morales-CD-Album.html

Also the (1st) single disc issue....  ::)

It's the white Ars Musici icon that gives it away, but it is also mentioned in the details that it is 1 CD.

Traverso

Quote from: Que on September 01, 2021, 10:08:36 AM
Bummer!  :(

Also the (1st) single disc issue....  ::)

It's the white Ars Musici icon that gives it away, but it is also mentioned in the details that it is 1 CD.

You are right,and a seller is asking 37,69 €  for it  ::)

Mirror Image

Just bought:

I was going to go with the DG set, but it's OOP and incredibly expensive right now. The roster of musicians, however, in this Warner set is outstanding, so, hopefully, this set will satisfy me enough to where I won't even think of buying the DG or even the Naxos sets.