Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 22, 2021, 01:33:41 PM
The stamp of approval from Tchaikovsky himself. I like it ;D

By all means listen to other recordings too, for instance Richard Bonynge on Decca, which has a tempo suited to a ballet performance. But for a pure orchestral performance, Gergiev or better still Jarvi are the interpretations to go for.
And as you said Thaikovsky approves it  :laugh:
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

MusicTurner

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 22, 2021, 08:31:52 PM
(...)

I consider that one a very fine disc, one of the best of Schubert with a female soloist ... the others posted are sadly unknown to me.

André

ritter

Quote from: André on September 23, 2021, 01:12:45 PM

I saw that production live in the theatre (but with Lawrence Brownlee instead of Flórez as Count Almaviva). Great fun!  :)

Good evening, André.

JBS

Prompted by a Twitter discussion

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 21, 2021, 09:38:43 AM
Will be interested in hearing how you like Gergiev's "Nutcracker".  I have this recording with the Kirov and hated it; way too fast for me!  I noticed that your set is on two CDs though.

Sadly, it's in my pile to sell or give away.  :(

PD

I absolutely love it because of the brisk pace. One of my most often listened to discs! Love it immensely and have for well over a decade.  :)

However, I tend to have a bias for brisk performances of most music. With exceptions, of course.

So, count me in as a fan along with vlf and Harry Tchaikovsky!  :D

André

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 24, 2021, 04:44:29 AM
I absolutely love it because of the brisk pace. One of my most often listened to discs! Love it immensely and have for well over a decade.  :)

However, I tend to have a bias for brisk performances of most music. With exceptions, of course.

So, count me in as a fan along with vlf and Harry Tchaikovsky!  :D

I had it and sold it. It's good, but I want more (a lot more) from a complete Nutcracker. I's not a question of tempi. Dorati's magical COA recording is almost identical in timing. Has to do with the colours the conductor elicits from the orchestra. Gergiev is a more 'horizontal' conductor, not very interested in bringing out individual scoring details. His Shostakovich 7th is splendid, but in a work like Nutcracker he misses the sparkle and magic. I keep seeing his furrowed brow. Really a matter of perception, I know... :-X

Brahmsian

Quote from: André on September 24, 2021, 07:35:11 AM
I had it and sold it. It's good, but I want more (a lot more) from a complete Nutcracker. I's not a question of tempi. Dorati's magical COA recording is almost identical in timing. Has to do with the colours the conductor elicits from the orchestra. Gergiev is a more 'horizontal' conductor, not very interested in bringing out individual scoring details. His Shostakovich 7th is splendid, but in a work like Nutcracker he misses the sparkle and magic. I keep seeing his furrowed brow. Really a matter of perception, I know... :-X

I haven't heard the Dorati Nutcracker, but do absolutely adore Dorati and RCO in The Sleeping Beauty!  :)

André

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 24, 2021, 09:29:31 AM
I haven't heard the Dorati Nutcracker, but do absolutely adore Dorati and RCO in The Sleeping Beauty!  :)

With good reason  :). Do indulge in yet another Nutcracker, then !

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: André on September 24, 2021, 07:35:11 AM
I don't know about the timings vs. Dorati as I don't know that one, but I do remember that as you mentioned and I had also tried to convey, the magic, for me anyway, wasn't there.  It did (on first and only listen) also feel rushed to me.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

JBS

A small order from Arkivmusic

JBS

But that small order was preceded by a much larger Amazon order...

Two of them were tips from vandermolen

JBS

And a final one off Amazon MP

classicalgeek

Quote from: JBS on September 24, 2021, 05:55:42 PM
A small order from Arkivmusic

But that small order was preceded by a much larger Amazon order...

And a final one off Amazon MP

Excellent!! The BIS discs (Respighi transcriptions and American Symphonies) look particularly enticing!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Daverz

For the Ippolotov-Ivanov, whose music seems to have fallen completely out of fashion.  Good early stereo.  Another good recording is Feoseyev, which was on various labels, and Naxos has a CD with both Caucasian Suites Nos. 1 and 2.

Interestingly, the pic above is from towerrecords.com.  I don't know who owns the Tower name and logo (really triggers my nostalgia) and can't vouch for this website. 

classicalgeek

I haven't ordered from Berkshire Record Outlet in at least ten years, so in my reacquisition frenzy, I had to pay them a visit.

Given my ongoing exploration of George Lloyd, I ordered some of his symphonies and concertos. The score to Brian's 'Gothic' is now available on IMSLP; I like to listen with the music in hand (or on my computer screen), and Brabbins' is a better performance than the Slovak forces on Marco Polo. I'd heard good things about Gilbert's Nielsen cycle, same thing about the Brahms chamber music on Hyperion. And of course right now I'm really into Koechlin's orchestral music, so I was thrilled to find this Hanssler disc cheap! I hope BRO gets the other CDs in Holliger's Koechlin series in stock.

It will take some restraint not to place an order in the next few weeks... I'm still eyeing several of the big conductor boxes (Muti, Mehta on Warner or Sony, Previn) as a way to get some core repertoire relatively inexpensively. Must... resist...
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Daverz

Quote from: classicalgeek on September 24, 2021, 10:46:47 PM
I haven't ordered from Berkshire Record Outlet in at least ten years, so in my reacquisition frenzy, I had to pay them a visit.

Some great finds there.  I was just listening to the Hamelin/Leopold Trio recording of the Brahms Piano Quartet No. 3 earlier.  That's a great Nielsen cycle, and the Brian Symphony was expensive set for a long time.

vandermolen

Quote from: classicalgeek on September 24, 2021, 10:46:47 PM

Given my ongoing exploration of George Lloyd, I ordered some of his symphonies and concertos. The score to Brian's 'Gothic' is now available on IMSLP; I like to listen with the music in hand (or on my computer screen), and Brabbins' is a better performance than the Slovak forces on Marco Polo. I'd heard good things about Gilbert's Nielsen cycle, same thing about the Brahms chamber music on Hyperion. And of course right now I'm really into Koechlin's orchestral music, so I was thrilled to find this Hanssler disc cheap! I hope BRO gets the other CDs in Holliger's Koechlin series in stock.

It will take some restraint not to place an order in the next few weeks... I'm still eyeing several of the big conductor boxes (Muti, Mehta on Warner or Sony, Previn) as a way to get some core repertoire relatively inexpensively. Must... resist...
Thumbs up for Lloyd, Gilbert's Nielsen recordings and HB's 'Gothic' (a recording that I attended as did some others here).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on September 24, 2021, 06:35:57 PM

For the Ippolotov-Ivanov, whose music seems to have fallen completely out of fashion.  Good early stereo.  Another good recording is Feoseyev, which was on various labels, and Naxos has a CD with both Caucasian Suites Nos. 1 and 2.

Interestingly, the pic above is from towerrecords.com.  I don't know who owns the Tower name and logo (really triggers my nostalgia) and can't vouch for this website.
That's a very nice CD!