Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on September 24, 2021, 06:08:43 PM
But that small order was preceded by a much larger Amazon order...

Two of them were tips from vandermolen

I'm sure you'll enjoy the Kurland Sounds CD Jeffrey - it is a favourite of mine as is the BIS American symphonies CD.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

JBS

Classicalgeek--just remember that there's a concertos CD that completed the Gilbert cycle--I think it's the best of the four by several degrees.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on September 25, 2021, 04:39:25 AM
Classicalgeek--just remember that there's a concertos CD that completed the Gilbert cycle--I think it's the best of the four by several degrees.

Nice! Who played the Clarinet Concerto, do you recall?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

classicalgeek

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 25, 2021, 07:22:25 AM
Nice! Who played the Clarinet Concerto, do you recall?

Unfortunately, BRO didn't have the concertos disc, or I'd have picked that up too! Karl, to answer your question, the soloist in the Clarinet Concerto was Anthony McGill.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Karl Henning

Quote from: classicalgeek on September 25, 2021, 08:07:52 AM
Unfortunately, BRO didn't have the concertos disc, or I'd have picked that up too! Karl, to answer your question, the soloist in the Clarinet Concerto was Anthony McGill.

Thanks.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

+ BIS Scenes from Kalevala (pre-order)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: classicalgeek on September 24, 2021, 10:46:47 PM
I haven't ordered from Berkshire Record Outlet in at least ten years, so in my reacquisition frenzy, I had to pay them a visit.

Given my ongoing exploration of George Lloyd, I ordered some of his symphonies and concertos. The score to Brian's 'Gothic' is now available on IMSLP; I like to listen with the music in hand (or on my computer screen), and Brabbins' is a better performance than the Slovak forces on Marco Polo. I'd heard good things about Gilbert's Nielsen cycle, same thing about the Brahms chamber music on Hyperion. And of course right now I'm really into Koechlin's orchestral music, so I was thrilled to find this Hanssler disc cheap! I hope BRO gets the other CDs in Holliger's Koechlin series in stock.

It will take some restraint not to place an order in the next few weeks... I'm still eyeing several of the big conductor boxes (Muti, Mehta on Warner or Sony, Previn) as a way to get some core repertoire relatively inexpensively. Must... resist...

Some superb stuff there! I give my seal of approval to each of them.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on September 25, 2021, 09:16:44 AM
+ BIS Scenes from Kalevala (pre-order)

The Parry (from the Lyrita one) and the whole Rota are marvelous.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 25, 2021, 05:51:10 PM
The Parry (from the Lyrita one) and the whole Rota are marvelous.
Excellent! Good to know - thanks Cesar.

Mirror Image

Some great looking hauls, Jeffrey and Classicalgeek. 8)

Judith

Just ordered
Jeremy Denk
The Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra
Mozart Piano Concertos
Has Piano Concertos nos 25 and 20
along with Rondo in A Minor.
Looking forward to listening to this one🎹🎹🎼🎼

Que

André

I listened to 2 modern works on this set and decided I needed it all.

prémont

Quote from: Que on September 27, 2021, 11:50:04 AM

May I ask how you spotted this since long OOP recording?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Que

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 27, 2021, 01:02:40 PM
May I ask how you spotted this since long OOP recording?

Sure. Googled it, and spotted it at La Boîte à Musique. Now hope they deliver.  :)

Brian

With the threat of Naxos prices going up in October, taking advantage of one last clearance sale from Europadisc.

The Scarlatti recital is from Benjamin Frith. The Lutoslawski is a very longtime personal favorite I play every year for the season, but up to now, it's all been streaming. Including shipping, these average out to the old price of $9 each. (The English cello miniatures disc is only listed for $3.50 so that's just something cheery to play in the car on the way to get takeout meals.)

Plus Europa had a few more things on sale that I grabbed.

Blurry Orfeo stuff is Sandor Vegh Haydn 101-2-3-4.

Also grabbing this off Amazon to finish off my Naxos list.

prémont

Quote from: Que on September 27, 2021, 01:42:02 PM
Sure. Googled it, and spotted it at La Boîte à Musique. Now hope they deliver.  :)

Seems to be a respectable company. Do they accept payment via Paypal?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Brian on September 27, 2021, 02:43:08 PM
With the threat of Naxos prices going up in October, taking advantage of one last clearance sale from Europadisc.

The Scarlatti recital is from Benjamin Frith. The Lutoslawski is a very longtime personal favorite I play every year for the season, but up to now, it's all been streaming. Including shipping, these average out to the old price of $9 each. (The English cello miniatures disc is only listed for $3.50 so that's just something cheery to play in the car on the way to get takeout meals.)

Plus Europa had a few more things on sale that I grabbed.

Blurry Orfeo stuff is Sandor Vegh Haydn 101-2-3-4.

Also grabbing this off Amazon to finish off my Naxos list.

The Soler and Respighi look interesting. I have the Guarnieri and Duarte and I like them a lot.

classicalgeek

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 25, 2021, 05:48:30 PM
Some superb stuff there! I give my seal of approval to each of them.

Excellent! I'm looking forward to receiving this order!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Mirror Image

Stocked up on a few Feldman recordings: