Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vers la flamme

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on October 06, 2021, 06:02:21 AM
You should go there someday. There is a direct flight from Atlanta.

I may have to jump on that flight one of these days. I've probably told you this already but Japan is one of the number one places I'd love to visit.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 06, 2021, 01:47:15 PM
I may have to jump on that flight one of these days. I've probably told you this already but Japan is one of the number one places I'd love to visit.

You should! Haruki Murakami library at Waseda University opens this month!

Mirror Image

Brian

A Far Cry is a wonderful chamber ensemble. Hope I get to see them if/when visiting Boston.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on October 06, 2021, 07:05:07 PM
A Far Cry is a wonderful chamber ensemble. Hope I get to see them if/when visiting Boston.

8)

Brian

Look at this cool program; https://www.afarcry.org/all/firefly

For the first time ever I want to visit Boston in January??   ;D

Edit: jeez, I'd go to every concert listed. Maybe May would be a nice time to visit and see the sights and catch some Eastman and Lutoslawski - https://www.afarcry.org/all/sunset-1

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 06, 2021, 07:02:26 PM
Just bought:

*insert lots of images of Philip Glass CDs*

Nice haul, John! I'm still in shock that you're actually into Glass now, but I hope it lasts.

JBS

Ordered off Amazon MP just now.

Decided to a competitor to the Emerson SQ which, until now, has been my only recording of these works.

Adding on to my Vasks collection. Not listed on the cover are Musica Adventus and the Concerto for English Horn. The latter was my spark for getting this particular CD.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 06, 2021, 07:40:02 PM
Nice haul, John! I'm still in shock that you're actually into Glass now, but I hope it lasts.

You're really going to be in shock once I post this purchase:

As I mentioned in the "Listening" thread, I don't expect myself to be a huge Glass fan in terms of putting him alongside of say favorites like Mahler or Shostakovich, but I believe I needed some of his music in my collection.

bhodges

Quote from: Brian on October 06, 2021, 07:07:01 PM
Look at this cool program; https://www.afarcry.org/all/firefly

For the first time ever I want to visit Boston in January??   ;D

Edit: jeez, I'd go to every concert listed. Maybe May would be a nice time to visit and see the sights and catch some Eastman and Lutoslawski - https://www.afarcry.org/all/sunset-1

What terrific programming. I've seen A Far Cry several times, and they are well worth traveling for. (Noting that "Dallas to Boston" is a bit of a trek.) Glad to see that a) they are still around (you never know, these days), and b) that they are still pursuing interesting things, artistically.

--Bruce

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 06, 2021, 07:02:26 PM
Just bought:

I'm in shock, John!  :D I am awaiting the follow up cancellation.  ;)

This is a fantastic disc.  :)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 07, 2021, 03:15:39 AM

Don't jinx it, Ray!

And have you watched Dracula with Glass' score? It's pretty cool.

DavidW

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 06, 2021, 07:40:02 PM

He just made fun of Glass merely hours ago... maybe split personality??  or he feels that he has to atone for his sins? :P

Brahmsian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 07, 2021, 06:23:31 AM
Don't jinx it, Ray!

And have you watched Dracula with Glass' score? It's pretty cool.

No, I have not Greg! It definitely sounds like it would be pretty neat.  :)

Papy Oli

I am awaiting the follow up cancellation.  ;)

:laugh: :laugh:

He should keep the concerto Vol 1 with the two timpani work though, it is a cracker.
Olivier

Mirror Image

Looking forward to hearing it, Ray. Oh and the Glass recordings are on their way. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on October 07, 2021, 06:25:29 AM
He just made fun of Glass merely hours ago... maybe split personality??  or he feels that he has to atone for his sins? :P

And I'll continue to joke about Philip Glass. ;) That won't ever change, but I do have to say I'm enjoying what I've heard so far. I'm up to the 5th symphony right now.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 07, 2021, 06:59:58 AM
Looking forward to hearing it, Ray. Oh and the Glass recordings are on their way. :)

I smell an avatar change in the near future.  ;) :laugh:

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on October 07, 2021, 07:02:09 AM
I smell an avatar change in the near future.  ;) :laugh:

Hah! Well, as much as I would say I've been surprised by actually enjoying Glass' music, I doubt I'll change my avatar as I'm still very much in a Shostakovich kind of mood as of late.

classicalgeek

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 07, 2021, 07:01:43 AM
And I'll continue to joke about Philip Glass. ;) That won't ever change, but I do have to say I'm enjoying what I've heard so far. I'm up to the 5th symphony right now.

I say good on you for being open-minded!

Just bought off Amazon MP:

I had to get this disc, given how much Koechlin I've been listening to lately.

And off eBay, as a lot of five discs:

Missing vol. 5 of the chamber music, but I can buy that later. Given how much I've enjoyed my traversal of Poulenc's chamber music lately, picking up these discs seemed like a no-brainer! And the concertos are a nice bonus.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan