Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxandpeng

"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Mirror Image

Quote from: foxandpeng on October 20, 2021, 01:49:24 AM
Great choices!

Thanks! It was high time I added more of his music to my collection. He's such a fascinating composer to me.

André

Mirror Image

Bought earlier this morning:

These are two recordings Wand made at the Lübeck Cathedral, which, in Bruckner circles, have achieved legendary status. I own a lot of Wand's Bruckner, but, strangely enough, I didn't own these two performances.

vandermolen

Don't know these recordings. Now seems a good time to discover them.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Traverso

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 21, 2021, 08:12:21 PM
Bought earlier this morning:

These are two recordings Wand made at the Lübeck Cathedral, which, in Bruckner circles, have achieved legendary status. I own a lot of Wand's Bruckner, but, strangely enough, I didn't own these two performances.

Bruckner recorded in a cathedral, very appropriate. Hopefully the sound image doesn't lose too much detail due to the not ideal circumstances

Mirror Image

Quote from: Traverso on October 22, 2021, 06:53:27 AM
Bruckner recorded in a cathedral, very appropriate. Hopefully the sound image doesn't lose too much detail due to the not ideal circumstances

From several of the reviews I've read, I heard Wand actually makes allowances for the reverberation and let's the music breathe instead of allowing to become congested. One reviewer even proclaiming that the audio is some of the best RCA audio he's ever heard.

André

I personally dislike both performances. The sound does not congeal, but all dynamism is lost.

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on October 22, 2021, 07:06:34 AM
I personally dislike both performances. The sound does not congeal, but all dynamism is lost.

Wand is one of the reasons as to why I became a Brucknerian in the first-place, but I'll reserve judgement obviously until I've heard the recordings.

Brian

Quote from: Traverso on October 22, 2021, 06:53:27 AM
I've seen the 7th performed live in a cathedral, in Houston, TX of all places. The other acoustic quirk was that the orchestra was located in the junction of the cross-shaped building and although the primary audience was in the main seating area, the cheap seats for poor college students like me was off to the sides, almost behind the violins and basses. Still was a good experience.

classicalgeek

Bought off the same seller on eBay. I had to pull the trigger on the Munch box before I talked myself out of it - I didn't know when I'd get a chance to buy it at the price I paid for it again! And of course Kertesz's Dvorak is one of the all-time great cycles.

So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Brian

The Munch box is a treasure. Good choice.

classicalgeek

Quote from: Brian on October 22, 2021, 08:22:23 AM
The Munch box is a treasure. Good choice.

Thank you - I couldn't resist at that price! There's so much good stuff in there - all sorts of Berlioz, one of the great Saint-Saens 'Organ' Symphonies, some excellent Beethoven, of course Debussy and Ravel...

Now, if someone would offer the elusive Szell box at a reasonable price... ;D
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

André

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 22, 2021, 07:32:11 AM
Wand is one of the reasons as to why I became a Brucknerian in the first-place, but I'll reserve judgement obviously until I've heard the recordings.

Obviously, of course. Wand is such an immense interpreter of these two symphonies, that's why I think these particular performances don't represent his Bruckner at his best. I much prefer his Hamburg discs (from Hamburg's Musikhalle) and his Munich Phil discs (on Hanssler).

You tolerance to churchy acoustics may be greater than mine. I admit to ditching two cycles (Schaller and Paternostro) on account of what I hear as a defect (I'm well aware some think it's eminently suitable). Please report your impressions, John !

Traverso

Quote from: Brian on October 22, 2021, 07:33:47 AM
I've seen the 7th performed live in a cathedral, in Houston, TX of all places. The other acoustic quirk was that the orchestra was located in the junction of the cross-shaped building and although the primary audience was in the main seating area, the cheap seats for poor college students like me was off to the sides, almost behind the violins and basses. Still was a good experience.

Beiing present is of course something completely different as listening to a CD at home.  :)

André

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Todd

Downloads.  I need cycle 119.

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Daverz

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky