Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

I streamed the Rota Alpha CD and thought it was really great music.

Brian

Couldn't resist this 11 CD smorgasbord of rising young performers (and some who've risen enough to be established) in a wide variety of music, including one full CD of Australian music. In the notes, competition leader Piers Lane explains that in 2016, he changed the Australian music requirement for competitors from a specific set piece everyone had to play to a simple requirement that they choose any Australian work. The idea was that the pianists would choose works they genuinely loved and incorporate them into their regular concert repertoires, and continue to play them after the competition.

Also couldn't resist this:

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on October 22, 2021, 05:37:00 PM
Tansmania!

Indeed! I'm excited to get more into this composer's music.

Madiel

Quote from: Brian on October 22, 2021, 07:10:50 PM

Couldn't resist this 11 CD smorgasbord of rising young performers (and some who've risen enough to be established) in a wide variety of music, including one full CD of Australian music. In the notes, competition leader Piers Lane explains that in 2016, he changed the Australian music requirement for competitors from a specific set piece everyone had to play to a simple requirement that they choose any Australian work. The idea was that the pianists would choose works they genuinely loved and incorporate them into their regular concert repertoires, and continue to play them after the competition.

Please tell me there's at least one Vine piano sonata in there. At least.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

North Star

Quote from: Madiel on October 22, 2021, 10:09:32 PM
Please tell me there's at least one Vine piano sonata in there. At least.

Sorry, but here's the contents of the Australian disc via translator that apparently could handle Sculthorpe once but not twice.

https://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Piano-Collection_000000000017977/item_Virtuoso-Pianists-of-the-Sydney-International-Piano-Competition-1992-2016-11CD-Limited_11972311

Disc9: Australian Piano Piece
1. Sculthorpe: Evocation (Arseny Tarasevic-Nikolaev / 2016)
2. Katz-Chernin: Page-turning (Roman Lopatinsky / 2016)
3. Benjamin: Two Improvisational Etudes (Toni Lee / 2016)
4. Kelly: Figured in the Drift of Stars (Rem Urasin / 2004)
5. Ford: Thin air (Daniel Zvetkov / 2008)
6. Skull Soap: Gilile (Ayesha Gough / 2016)
7. Kabarli Meditation (Dawn) (Avan You / 2012)
8. Vine: 5 Bagatelle-No.1 Darkly (Victoria Laxova / 2000)
9. Vine: 5 Bagatelle-No.2 Leggiero (Shan Deng / 2000)
10. Vine: 5 Bagatelle-No.3 (Shan Deng / 2000)
11. Vine: 5 Bagatelle-No.4 (Victoria Laxova / 2000)
12. Vine: Five Bagatelle-Threnody. Gently (Kenneth Broberg / 2000)
13. Agnew: Poem-1 (Aryosha Yurinich / 2016)
14. Benjamin: Scherzino (Toni Lee / 2016)
15. Dean: Equality (Martin Malmgren / 2016)
17. Skull soap: Night Thought No. 1 (Alexei Melnikov / 2016)
18. Skull soap: Harbor Dreaming (Yui Fushiki / 2016)
19. Vine: Tokkatissimo (Ilya Rashkovsky / 2016)
20. Hair: Under Aldebaran (/ 2016)
21. Smalley: Morceau de concours (Tomoki Kitamura / 2008)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Madiel

Well, that's a little disappointing. It looks like they've gone for smaller-scale pieces.

I know people played Vine's 1st sonata one year, because that's how I ever heard about it. And it seems to have been his most successful single work.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brian

Last year I bought a used copy of a CD where Sergei Babayan (!!) plays the Vine First Sonata coupled with Messiaen. Definitely worth seeking.

(Haha "skull soap")

Pohjolas Daughter

Ran across a couple of used CDs at a price too good to pass on ($1 each):

Sviatoslav Richter playing Rachmaninov and Prokofiev

and Leif Ove Andsnes playing Rachmaninov

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Part III

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Brian on October 22, 2021, 07:10:50 PM

Also couldn't resist this:

So, I see that you went both [for] old school and new school?  :)

Quote from: Florestan on October 23, 2021, 09:23:03 AM
Part III
You were busy today Florestan!  :o

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Florestan

Florestan

Quote from: aligreto on October 23, 2021, 10:14:17 AM
Targeted listening in abundance, Andrei  8)

In a world gone mad, and going madder still, music and literature are essential for preserving my sanity and peace of mind.  8)

André

Clementi is one of my musical heroes. The disc played by Olivier Cavé is a gem. I don't know the other two though.

Traverso

Quote from: Florestan on October 23, 2021, 11:03:57 AM
In a world gone mad, and going madder still, music and literature are essential for preserving my sanity and peace of mind.  8)

Ah.... you're already hoarding stock  :o

Florestan

Quote from: Traverso on October 23, 2021, 11:34:56 AM

Ah.... you're already hoarding stock  :o

I've piled a high stock of unread books and un-listened-to CDs long before the damned Covid-19 stroke our lives...  :o

Traverso

Quote from: Florestan on October 23, 2021, 11:42:24 AM
I've piled a high stock of unread books and un-listened-to CDs long before the damned Covid-19 stroke our lives...  :o

Don't waste your time reading books but they are excellent for giving an idea of shelter, CD stacks however fall over easily, so be careful not to create a false sense of security !  :D

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky