Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: ritter on November 23, 2021, 07:53:37 AM
Indeed...and even looking at the stuff they no longer have available is a worthwhile (and, of course, frustrating) exercise, because you discover recordings you didn't even know existed.
I hadn't heard of that store before; thanks for mentioning it!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: classicalgeek on November 23, 2021, 08:03:19 AM
And it appears they ship internationally! Interesting...

Thread duty: finally tracked down the elusive Orpheus Chamber Orchestra box on Amazon US: (OK, "tracking down" anything on Amazon is a contradiction  ;D)

I thought it had gone OOP just a few months after release - it appeared to very popular. I figured I'd better grab it while I could!

Sweet!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Wanderer

Quote from: ritter on November 23, 2021, 07:53:37 AM
Indeed...and even looking at the stuff they no longer have available is a worthwhile (and, of course, frustrating) exercise, because you discover recordings you didn't even know existed.

And I trust you know about their physical store in Boulevard Saint-Germain. It's the opera enthusiast's Galeries Lafayette.  ;)

Karl Henning

Landed yesterday
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Iota

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 21, 2021, 07:26:42 PM
Just bought a framed photo of Sibelius:

Excellent! One of the most searching photos I've seen of him!

vers la flamme

Pretty good haul at Half Price Books in North Decatur today...:

They got a big haul of Brilliant stuff, all brand new. Excited to check out all this stuff!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Iota on November 23, 2021, 01:06:12 PM
Excellent! One of the most searching photos I've seen of him!

Thanks. I rather like this photo as well.

Mirror Image

Bought earlier --- all Japanese imports:

Also bought:

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Bought earlier via Amazon Japan and eBay (both sets are Japanese issues):

This Neumann reissue includes song cycles, which the earlier Suprpahon didn't include.

And this monster:

Mahler: Complete Symphonies & Das Lied von der Erde - Hiroshi Wakasugi (16 CDs)

Sorry for the poor quality image. It's the only one I could find actually showed what the box set looked like.

JBS

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 24, 2021, 05:58:56 PM

This Neumann reissue includes song cycles, which the earlier Suprpahon didn't include.

And this monster:

Sorry for the poor quality image. It's the only one I could find actually showed what the box set looked like.
For once an actual box!
What the devil is supposed to be pictured on the cover of the Neumann set? I can't for the life of me figure it out.

TD
Amazon left these two at my door while I was at work. Which was a pleasant surprise, the promised delivery dates were this coming Saturday/Sunday.

Listening to the LvB 7th as I post this.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on November 24, 2021, 06:17:54 PM
For once an actual box!
What the devil is supposed to be pictured on the cover of the Neumann set? I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Your guess would be as good as mine, Jeffrey. :) And yes! An actual box --- I hope I'll be able to get through the door. ;) ;D

Mirror Image

Just bought:

And this set:

Of the Markevitch box sets I looked at, this one had the most repertoire I was interested in plus it'll be nice to have all of his Tchaikovsky, which I've been meaning to buy years ago. I don't go for these conductor-centric box sets, but this one was too good to pass up!

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

ritter

Some duplication with stuff already in my collection is inevitable, but other stuff is absent (e.g., de los Ángeles' second --stereo-- recording of La vida breve, the Dutoit El retablo de Maese Pedro, El amor brujo under Giulini, etc.), and the price was a steal at amazon.es:

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 24, 2021, 05:58:56 PM

Jfyi.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on November 25, 2021, 07:27:30 AM
Some duplication with stuff already in my collection is inevitable, but other stuff is absent (e.g., de los Ángeles' second --stereo-- recording of La vida breve, the Dutoit El retablo de Maese Pedro, El amor brujo under Giulini, etc.), and the price was a seal at amazon.es:

A nice looking set, Rafael. But I own more than 98% of its contents, so I didn't take the plunge.

Mirror Image

The Chicago SO web store is having a sale (50%-60% off), so I snagged a few recordings that looked interesting: