Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

Amazon MP had two used copies listed. One for $13 including shipping, the other for $60 including shipping.
I'll give you two guesses which one I ordered, and the first does not count.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

classicalgeek

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 25, 2021, 11:06:34 AM
The Chicago SO web store is having a sale (50%-60% off), so I snagged a few recordings that looked interesting:

Thanks for the tip, John! Of course I had to jump on that same sale. ;D I ordered the following:

I've heard good things about both these recordings! 
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Mirror Image

Quote from: classicalgeek on November 25, 2021, 12:29:52 PM
Thanks for the tip, John! Of course I had to jump on that same sale. ;D I ordered the following:

I've heard good things about both these recordings!

GREAT choices, classicalgeek! 8) Both of those recordings are top-notch. I think Muti's may very well be my favorite recording of the Babi Yar now --- even surpassing my reference Haitink/Concertgebouw.

JBS

An Amazon MP vendor dropped the price on this to $91 including s/h, so I ordered it.
[Supposedly their only copy, but Amazon itself and a couple of other vendors are offering it for under $100 if anyone else is interested. ETA: just noticed Rarewaves is offering it for the price I got.]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on November 25, 2021, 05:11:55 PM
An Amazon MP vendor dropped the price on this to $91 including s/h, so I ordered it.
[Supposedly their only copy, but Amazon itself and a couple of other vendors are offering it for under $100 if anyone else is interested. ETA: just noticed Rarewaves is offering it for the price I got.]

Nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Carlo Gesualdo

I purchase three CD'S, now please hail my following purchases:

So behold strap on tight, you better, these are all success story .

Two copies of Peter Philips, a renaissance composer or grandur, I higly estime as one of greatest and his Sacred Cantationes on Naxos and Choir of the Trinity College, this was is gonna best outstiding genouis.

Than Heinrich Schutz his psalm , another master of renaissance, In of league pf it's one in crosse between time of crossroads of music of renaissance essence, space and time, the grandiose, the superb music!

I want to hear blessing and  sayings, like oh nice fishing for  Grails, you're a good fisherman of excellence in audi recodings, you know you're stuff not to show up.

8)

Sergeant Rock

Arrived yesterday: the opera Faust by Havergal Brian.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

André

VonStupp

Quote from: JBS on November 25, 2021, 12:10:32 PM
Amazon MP had two used copies listed. One for $13 including shipping, the other for $60 including shipping.
I'll give you two guesses which one I ordered, and the first does not count.

Enjoy! I hopefully have some more Daniel Pinkham cued up for next week.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

classicalgeek

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 25, 2021, 12:53:14 PM
GREAT choices, classicalgeek! 8) Both of those recordings are top-notch. I think Muti's may very well be my favorite recording of the Babi Yar now --- even surpassing my reference Haitink/Concertgebouw.

I was happy to get them at a discount! Sometimes recordings on a orchestra's own label can be hard to get, or pricey, or both - so I couldn't resist. I've especially heard really good things about the 13th with Muti, so it's nice to know it lives up to its reputation!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Mirror Image

Quote from: classicalgeek on November 26, 2021, 02:20:02 PM
I was happy to get them at a discount! Sometimes recordings on a orchestra's own label can be hard to get, or pricey, or both - so I couldn't resist. I've especially heard really good things about the 13th with Muti, so it's nice to know it lives up to its reputation!

8)

Spotted Horses

I've developed an interest in old performance tradition, particularly French orchestras going back to the Mono Era. I've added two sets. The complete Charles Munch/Decca, and the complete Desormieres/Decca.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Brahmsian

Quote from: ritter on November 25, 2021, 07:27:30 AM
Some duplication with stuff already in my collection is inevitable, but other stuff is absent (e.g., de los Ángeles' second --stereo-- recording of La vida breve, the Dutoit El retablo de Maese Pedro, El amor brujo under Giulini, etc.), and the price was a seal at amazon.es:

Does this set include all or most of Falla's music?

Karl Henning

Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 26, 2021, 08:08:23 PM

That weird headdress of Charles's ranks high as Unfortunate Cover Art.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ritter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on November 27, 2021, 05:56:20 AM
Most, but certainly not all. Off the top of my head, it's missing some early songs, small chamber and piano pieces, the incidental music to Calderón's El gran teatro del mundo, the Balada de Mallorca for chorus (based on the andantino from Chopin's Ballade No. 2), the ballet Fuego Fatuo (also on themes by Chopin). All this has been recorded by other labels, but is mostly OOP (and isn't essential Falla by any means —perhaps the incidental music for Calderón's play is the most interesting— ). There's also an early zarzuela, Los amores de la Inés, which was revived in Madrid some years ago (and was almost unanimously received as a very weak and utterly boring work —I didn't attend any performance— ) and has never been recorded AFAIK.

OTOH, in this set you get, next to their final versions, the original conceptions of El amor brujo and (as El corregidor y la molinera) The Three-Cornered Hat, which are very interesting. It also brings Atlántida, Falla's final, incomplete work, back to the catalogue. The end result is a piece one could say was "co-composed" by Falla and Ernesto Halffter (IMHO an excellent composer in his own right, who devoted some 40 years of his life to complete his master's swan song). I find it profoundly beautiful and endlessly fascinating...

Here's the full contents:

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on November 27, 2021, 05:56:20 AM

There's not much of it to be begin with, but, yes, it looks complete or as complete as it could be. So much of his music exists in different arrangements whereas the bulk of what he wrote in small.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 27, 2021, 06:25:19 AM
There's not much of it to be begin with, but, yes, it looks complete or as complete as it could be. So much of his music exists in different arrangements whereas the bulk of what he wrote in small.

Quote from: ritter on November 27, 2021, 06:25:10 AM
Most, but certainly not all. Off the top of my head, it's missing some early songs, small chamber and piano pieces, the incidental music to Calderón's El gran teatro del mundo, the Balada de Mallorca for chorus (based on the andantino from Chopin's Ballade No. 2), the ballet Fuego Fatuo (also on themes by Chopin). All this has been recorded by other labels, but is mostly OOP (and isn't essential Falla by any means —perhaps the incidental music for Calderón's play is the most interesting— ). There's also an early zarzuela, Los amores de la Inés, which was revived in Madrid some years ago (and was almost unanimously received as a very weak and utterly boring work —I didn't attend any performance— ) and has never been recorded AFAIK.

OTOH, in this set you get, next to their final versions, the original conceptions of El amor brujo and (as El corregidor y la molinera) The Three-Cornered Hat, which are very interesting. It also brings Atlántida, Falla's final, incomplete work, back to the catalogue. The end result is a piece one could say was "co-composed" by Falla and Ernesto Halffter (IMHO an excellent composer in his own right, who devoted some 40 years of his life to complete his master's swan song). I find it profoundly beautiful and endlessly fascinating...

Here's the full contents:

Thank you both very much!  :)

TheGSMoeller

The last disc is music from British composer/singer Cevanne Horrocks-Hopayian, which is a new discovery for me.

Artem

Used, from Digelius music shop in Helsinki.