Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan

Quote from: classicalgeek on November 28, 2021, 02:29:23 PM
From the same eBay seller:

Three big, bold 20th century symphonies!  ;D

3 absolute cracking pieces and cracking performances!  Don't listen to jeffrey ( ;)) in the Walton Sargent isn't a patch on Previn - One Walton 1 to rule them all......)

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 30, 2021, 05:38:03 AM
Nice! I need to revisit these recordings. I do have this DVD box set as well, which is quite good the best I can remember:

Thanks John and Harry - I'll be happy to let you know. Two of my very favourite versions of Shostakovich's 4th Symphony are from American conductors, Ormandy and Previn.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: classicalgeek on November 28, 2021, 02:29:23 PM
From the same eBay seller:

Three big, bold 20th century symphonies!  ;D
Great stuff! The Schmidt is the best performance I know of that great symphony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on November 30, 2021, 06:20:26 AM
3 absolute cracking pieces and cracking performances!  Don't listen to jeffrey ( ;)) in the Walton Sargent isn't a patch on Previn - One Walton 1 to rule them all......)
On the contrary ( ;D) it's most important to listen to Jeffrey! (I know that you all agree).
8)

classicalgeek

Quote from: Roasted Swan on November 30, 2021, 06:20:26 AM

I've been trying to track down either Previn or Slatkin in Walton 1 for a while, and of course they're both OOP and hard to find (as is the Previn/RCA box which would include this recording.) I had to jump on this copy!

Quote from: vandermolen on November 30, 2021, 07:59:51 AM
Great stuff! The Schmidt is the best performance I know of that great symphony.

That's what I've heard, that Mehta has a special way with this piece... though I eventually want to acquire Paavo Järvi's Schmidt cycle too, I figured I'd better snap up Mehta because (stop me if you've heard this before)... it's OOP and really hard to find!

Quote from: vandermolen on November 30, 2021, 08:03:02 AM
On the contrary ( ;D) it's most important to listen to Jeffrey! (I know that you all agree).
8)

But of course! ;D You haven't steered me wrong yet with your recommendations! And it appears Sargent's Walton 1 is available on Spotify, so maybe I'll have a listen later. All the same, I'm excited to have the Previn on disc again.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

classicalgeek

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 29, 2021, 05:53:47 PM
Just bought:

A great haul - and what interesting discmates Debussy, Strauss, and Ligeti make! And is Jurowski doing a Shostakovich cycle with the LPO? I see he's recorded 6, 11, and 14.

Mirror Image

Quote from: classicalgeek on November 30, 2021, 10:20:22 AM
A great haul - and what interesting discmates Debussy, Strauss, and Ligeti make! And is Jurowski doing a Shostakovich cycle with the LPO? I see he's recorded 6, 11, and 14.

Jurowski has also recorded Shostakovich's PCs with the LPO. I don't believe he is going to do a cycle, but that certainly would be nice! And yes, these composers are strange discmates, indeed. Looking to hearing these recordings.

Edit: You know I've wondered about his Mahler. He has recorded (w/ the LPO), Mahler's 1st, 2nd, 4th and 8th so far. Hopefully, more will be in the pipeline.

classicalgeek

Quote from: JBS on November 29, 2021, 02:01:10 PM
Ordered an order from Presto.

I'm really curious about the Reger piano concerto - I know I've heard it once or twice but it's never stuck with me. I have enjoyed some of Reger's chamber music, so I want to give his orchestral music more of a chance.

vandermolen

Quote from: classicalgeek on November 30, 2021, 09:58:03 AM
I've been trying to track down either Previn or Slatkin in Walton 1 for a while, and of course they're both OOP and hard to find (as is the Previn/RCA box which would include this recording.) I had to jump on this copy!

That's what I've heard, that Mehta has a special way with this piece... though I eventually want to acquire Paavo Järvi's Schmidt cycle too, I figured I'd better snap up Mehta because (stop me if you've heard this before)... it's OOP and really hard to find!

But of course! ;D You haven't steered me wrong yet with your recommendations! And it appears Sargent's Walton 1 is available on Spotify, so maybe I'll have a listen later. All the same, I'm excited to have the Previn on disc again.
Previn is one of my favourite conductors but I never liked that Walton Symphony No.1 since I came across the LP. It's that oboe solo at the start. It should IMO sound tentative, vulnerable, fragile but with Previn it just sounds matter-of-fact. Boult, Thomson and Sargent are much better here IMO. I know that I've bored everyone to death with this and that the Previn is considered the very best by most people (I prefer his 'Homeric' (as one critic put it) RPO performance). I just picked up a copy of the (very good) Slatkin performance, nicely coupled with 'Portsmouth Point', very cheaply here.

classicalgeek

Quote from: vandermolen on November 30, 2021, 12:26:32 PM
Previn is one of my favourite conductors but I never liked that Walton Symphony No.1 since I came across the LP. It's that oboe solo at the start. It should IMO sound tentative, vulnerable, fragile but with Previn it just sounds matter-of-fact. Boult, Thomson and Sargent are much better here IMO. I know that I've bored everyone to death with this and that the Previn is considered the very best by most people (I prefer his 'Homeric' (as one critic put it) RPO performance). I just picked up a copy of the (very good) Slatkin performance, nicely coupled with 'Portsmouth Point', very cheaply here.

I'll definitely keep an ear out for that! I found Sargent on Spotify, and Boult is on there too (not sure about Thomson) - I've loved Walton 1 since my freshman year in college, where the orchestra performed it. I'd never heard of it up to that point, but I checked out the score from the library and sat in on a couple of rehearsals. I was blown away by the sheer power of the outer movements, the kinetic energy of the scherzo, and the tender melancholy of the slow movement. I'd still like to find the Slatkin, and it appears that performance is available for not too much in the U.S. as well.

JBS

Piano.....

And lots of piano...

I just realized that Erato must have decided to make cigarette smoking pianists a cover theme, what with this and Francois set cover image.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

classicalgeek

Quote from: JBS on November 30, 2021, 05:38:04 PM
Piano.....

And lots of piano...

I just realized that Erato must have decided to make cigarette smoking pianists a cover theme, what with this and Francois set cover image.

And don't forget Barbizet!

The Hough Nocturnes set has my interest piqued - I've heard him in more virtuosic music (like his Rachmaninov Concerti with Litton, which are phenomenal) but not in more introspective works like these. It's been getting rave reviews - I think Hyperion's website has audio samples, so maybe I'll check it out.

JBS

Quote from: classicalgeek on November 30, 2021, 06:16:46 PM

The Hough Nocturnes set has my interest piqued - I've heard him in more virtuosic music (like his Rachmaninov Concerti with Litton, which are phenomenal) but not in more introspective works like these. It's been getting rave reviews - I think Hyperion's website has audio samples, so maybe I'll check it out.

I've gone on a Nocturnes binge the last couple of months. Lisiecki was last month, Planes is on the way to me now, and this.

But my favorite Nocturnes has long been Rubinstein II.

Brian

Quote from: classicalgeek on November 30, 2021, 06:16:46 PM
Hough's late Brahms CD is very good. I think by nature he is not a performer who emotes a great deal, or maybe who expresses his emotions in a dignified, buttoned-up way. This suits repertoire like Chopin and late Brahms where our ears have become used to people getting all mushy and excessive. I like the understated poetry of Hough's approach here but there is a risk of it running dry depending on his inspiration level in any given work (or your taste).

TheGSMoeller

I've listened to the 8th Symphony of DSCH more than any other of his symphonies the past few years, it's easily one of my favorites, and I think this Previn version is better than his DG with the LSO.
I also listened to Ruckert Lieder for the first time today, and I'm upset nobody told me just how gorgeous Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen is. I'm ashamed it took me this long to find out. I watched a live performance of this song on Apple Music from Elina Garanca/Christian Thielemann/Wiener Philharm, which will be released on DG in February.

And i ordered one of my most anticipated releases of the year. I love Harnoncourt's contribution to the music world and this release (his third recording of LvB's 5th) again validates his genius.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 30, 2021, 07:53:50 PM
I've listened to the 8th Symphony of DSCH more than any other of his symphonies the past few years, it's easily one of my favorites, and I think this Previn version is better than his DG with the LSO.
I also listened to Ruckert Lieder for the first time today, and I'm upset nobody told me just how gorgeous Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen is. I'm ashamed it took me this long to find out. I watched a live performance of this song on Apple Music from Elina Garanca/Christian Thielemann/Wiener Philharm, which will be released on DG in February.

Great haul right there, Greg! 8) I'm rather surprised you haven't heard the Rückert-Lieder before! :o You need to be taken out back and bullwhipped. ;D And that Shostakovich 8th with Previn/LSO is smokin' hot. Baker and Barbirolli are superb in Mahler as is Boulez and his multi-vocalist lineup. I've come around to Boulez's Mahler considerably this past year and I'm enjoying the kind of detail he brings to Mahler's music that sometimes can fall by the wayside in the more high-strung performances.

JBS

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 30, 2021, 08:23:02 PM
Great haul right there, Greg! 8) I'm rather surprised you haven't heard the Rückert-Lieder before! :o You need to be taken out back and bullwhipped. ;D And that Shostakovich 8th with Previn/LSO is smokin' hot. Baker and Barbirolli are superb in Mahler as is Boulez and his multi-vocalist lineup. I've come around to Boulez's Mahler considerably this past year and I'm enjoying the kind of detail he brings to Mahler's music that sometimes can fall by the wayside in the more high-strung performances.

Thanks, John! And I blame my seven recordings of Mahler's 10th that have stood in my way of getting to his song cycles.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on December 01, 2021, 05:41:26 AM
Thanks, John! And I blame my seven recordings of Mahler's 10th that have stood in my way of getting to his song cycles.

8)

Mirror Image

Just bought the two other Markevitch sets:

I have been thoroughly enjoying his Philips recordings and I've been continuously thrilled by his conducting that this seemed like the logical (or illogical ;) ) next step.