Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 01, 2021, 06:43:51 AM
Just bought the two other Markevitch sets:

I have been thoroughly enjoying his Philips recordings and I've been continuously thrilled by his conducting that this seemed like the logical (or illogical ;) ) next step.

Phenomenal conductor and great recordings!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 01, 2021, 06:46:04 AM
Phenomenal conductor and great recordings!

You've got that right! As I have said many times now, I don't normally go for these conductor sets, but this one appealed to me almost instantly because of the repertoire.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 01, 2021, 06:47:18 AM
You've got that right! As I have said many times now, I don't normally go for these conductor sets, but this one appealed to me almost instantly because of the repertoire.

Good decision. These boxes will be oop soon.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 01, 2021, 06:49:21 AM
Good decision. These boxes will be oop soon.

With the way the big labels run things, I'm surprised they're not out-of-print already! :)

Brian

Exploring the Philips box myself recently, and knowing the crazily great DG recordings of Gounod and Berlioz - seems like Markevitch had one of the highest batting averages of any conductor ever. Loved reading the Philips box essay on his approach to conducting and the recording studio in particular.

André

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on December 01, 2021, 05:41:26 AM
Thanks, John! And I blame my seven recordings of Mahler's 10th that have stood in my way of getting to his song cycles.

Now you must acquaint yourself with this song sung by Kathleen Ferrier, Janet Baker and Maureen Forrester. It will wrench your very heart strings.

André

This 4 cd set presents the 3 extant versions of the symphony plus variants of some movements as well as the 'Volkfest' finale of the work. I've listened to 3 discs on Spotify and decided I needed to have it permanently. Never mind what the blowhard buffoon from Classics today has to say about this  :D.

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on December 01, 2021, 09:53:08 AM

This 4 cd set presents the 3 extant versions of the symphony plus variants of some movements as well as the 'Volkfest' finale of the work. I've listened to 3 discs on Spotify and decided I needed to have it permanently. Never mind what the blowhard buffoon from Classics today has to say about this  :D.

I bought this as well, Andre. Looking forward to hearing it.

classicalgeek

Quote from: JBS on November 30, 2021, 06:25:25 PM
I've gone on a Nocturnes binge the last couple of months. Lisiecki was last month, Planes is on the way to me now, and this.

But my favorite Nocturnes has long been Rubinstein II.

It's hard to go wrong with Rubinstein in Chopin! I've especially enjoyed his Mazurkas - in his hands, each one is a little gem - but I admire his Nocturnes too. Pires has been my go-to set of Nocturnes, with Arrau also a strong contender.

Quote from: Brian on November 30, 2021, 06:43:32 PM
Hough's late Brahms CD is very good. I think by nature he is not a performer who emotes a great deal, or maybe who expresses his emotions in a dignified, buttoned-up way. This suits repertoire like Chopin and late Brahms where our ears have become used to people getting all mushy and excessive. I like the understated poetry of Hough's approach here but there is a risk of it running dry depending on his inspiration level in any given work (or your taste).

I think you describe Hough very well - I'm eager to sample both his Chopin Nocturnes and the Brahms disc you mention.

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 01, 2021, 06:43:51 AM
Just bought the two other Markevitch sets:

I have been thoroughly enjoying his Philips recordings and I've been continuously thrilled by his conducting that this seemed like the logical (or illogical ;) ) next step.

Ooooh, nice! Enjoy!

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 30, 2021, 07:53:50 PM
I've listened to the 8th Symphony of DSCH more than any other of his symphonies the past few years, it's easily one of my favorites, and I think this Previn version is better than his DG with the LSO.
I also listened to Ruckert Lieder for the first time today, and I'm upset nobody told me just how gorgeous Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen is. I'm ashamed it took me this long to find out. I watched a live performance of this song on Apple Music from Elina Garanca/Christian Thielemann/Wiener Philharm, which will be released on DG in February.

I'll also give an endorsement to Previn/Shostakovich 8 (on EMI/Warner)... it's a harrowing, intense, visceral performance!

I need to get that Baker/Barbirolli/Mahler disc you ordered - Baker is simply sublime in these songs! Or course Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen is achingly beautiful, and I'm in love with Liebst du um Schönheit; it touches my heart (and makes me ugly-cry :-[) every time I hear it.

And while we're on the topic of Janet Baker: her Brahms Alto Rhapsody with Adrian Boult reduces me to a puddle of goo. I'm openly weeping just typing about it... :-[

So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Karl Henning

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on December 01, 2021, 05:41:26 AM
Thanks, John! And I blame my seven recordings of Mahler's 10th that have stood in my way of getting to his song cycles.

Truly, a statistically exceptional obstacle course!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Que

premont

Quote from: Que on December 02, 2021, 07:04:07 AM
Just arrived:

Not from La Boîte à Musique, I suppose..?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Que

Quote from: (: premont :) on December 02, 2021, 08:12:10 AM
Not from La Boîte à Musique, I suppose..?

Nope... 8)  Amazon UK

premont

Quote from: Que on December 02, 2021, 08:52:19 AM
Nope... 8)  Amazon UK

Well, lucky guy. But the cost is forbidding for me. It would cost me about 70 Euros all included.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Que

Quote from: (: premont :) on December 02, 2021, 12:29:07 PM
Well, lucky guy. But the cost is forbidding for me. It would cost me about 70 Euros all included.

I guess I am lucky - prices must have gone up considerably.

JBS

Quote from: JBS on December 01, 2021, 04:16:49 AM
More Chopin...

Amazon's chaotic delivery algorithms managed to drop this off today, so the last ordered in my recent spate of orders became the first to reach me. (The rest are in transit with either USPS or UPS.)

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

JBS

Used CDs, motivated by discussions here on GMG

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

T. D.

Mirror Image

TheGSMoeller

Most of these purchases are from Europadisc, they have a LSO Live and Ondine sale right now. And I also finally have Smetana's Ma Vlast in my collection, took a few decades but it's now on my shelves.