Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on December 02, 2021, 07:31:45 PM
Used CDs, motivated by discussions here on GMG

Nice!  Hope that you enjoy all of them.  Will be interested in reading how you find the Haimovitz CDs in particular.

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 03, 2021, 06:42:09 AM
Just bought:

Hope that you enjoy the Price CD!  :)

PD

Mirror Image

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: T. D. on December 02, 2021, 07:46:38 PM

Great purchase. I have good memories of these quartets.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

T. D.

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 03, 2021, 03:48:12 PM
Great purchase. I have good memories of these [Norgard] quartets.

Thanks, looking forward to hearing them. Have been on my watch list for a long time, finally appeared at low prices from a discogs seller who combined shipping.

Johnnie Burgess

Beethoven complete symphonies

Mirror Image

Just bought via Presto Classical:

I could've bought the Mahler symphonies from Nott in a box set, but I like having all of the individual releases with their original artwork, especially if they're each still in-print, which thankfully these were. Looking forward to hearing yet another Mahler series from a conductor I have enjoyed lately.

JBS

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 04, 2021, 06:02:46 PM
Just bought via Presto Classical:

I could've bought the Mahler symphonies from Nott in a box set, but I like having all of the individual releases with their original artwork, especially if they're each still in-print, which thankfully these were. Looking forward to hearing yet another Mahler series from a conductor I have enjoyed lately.

I like it as a solid cycle. It may not be top tier but there are no weak links in it.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on December 04, 2021, 06:07:10 PM
I like it as a solid cycle. It may not be top tier but there are no weak links in it.

Yeah, that's what I've recalled from your own posts about it. Would you say there are any standout performances from this cycle?

JBS

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 04, 2021, 06:09:30 PM
Yeah, that's what I've recalled from your own posts about it. Would you say there are any standout performances from this cycle?

None that I recall. Which is why I like it, in a way: it's all a consistent level of goodness even if it doesn't knock any other recordings off their "best one" perch.

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on December 04, 2021, 06:29:13 PM
None that I recall. Which is why I like it, in a way: it's all a consistent level of goodness even if it doesn't knock any other recordings off their "best one" perch.

Ah so he's the Slatkin of Mahler symphony cycles. ;) (Not that this is a bad thing at all of course.)

JBS

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 04, 2021, 06:30:51 PM
Ah so he's the Slatkin of Mahler symphony cycles. ;) (Not that this is a bad thing at all of course.)

Inbal's cycle has the same qualities, btw.

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on December 04, 2021, 06:32:42 PM
Inbal's cycle has the same qualities, btw.

Ah yes, I have the Inbal cycle (somewhere). I should revisit some of it. He's not a conductor that flies under my radar too often.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 04, 2021, 06:37:32 PM
He's not a conductor that flies under my radar too often.

I like his Scriabin recordings!

Judith

Skint again lol.

Just pre-ordered

Brahms 3 Sonatas
Michael Collins
Stephen Hough

Arrives beginning of January. 
Looking forward to listening!

Mirror Image

Just bought:

The Shostakovich VC Mordkovitch is already in my collection, but not the remastered version, so definitely looking forward to hearing if the sonics have been improved. The Stravinsky Järvi set was a no-brainer. I already own many of his other Stravinsky recordings, so this set looked like it'll help fill in those gaps quite nicely.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 05, 2021, 09:41:25 AM
Just bought:

The Shostakovich VC Mordkovitch is already in my collection, but not the remastered version, so definitely looking forward to hearing if the sonics have been improved. The Stravinsky Järvi set was a no-brainer. I already own many of his other Stravinsky recordings, so this set looked like it'll help fill in those gaps quite nicely.
I like the look of the lower two CDs John.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on December 05, 2021, 11:21:29 AM
I like the look of the lower two CDs John.

I knew you would, Jeffrey. ;)

Todd

Various odds and ends found on closeout.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

classicalgeek

I wasn't thinking of buying this box... it was hovering around $300 or more... but then it was on sale here (https://classical.centerstagestore.com/), and well...

SO much good stuff in this box... where do I begin? One of *THE* great Mahler cycles... some gorgeous late Mozart... great Schumann and Brahms... my go-to recording of Copland's Third Symphony... authoritative accounts of Bernstein's own works...
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Mirror Image

Quote from: classicalgeek on December 06, 2021, 01:51:37 PM
I wasn't thinking of buying this box... it was hovering around $300 or more... but then it was on sale here (https://classical.centerstagestore.com/), and well...

SO much good stuff in this box... where do I begin? One of *THE* great Mahler cycles... some gorgeous late Mozart... great Schumann and Brahms... my go-to recording of Copland's Third Symphony... authoritative accounts of Bernstein's own works...

One hell of a box set. A great buy! I'm certainly considering it myself.