Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicalgeek

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 06, 2021, 02:01:24 PM
One hell of a box set. A great buy! I'm certainly considering it myself.

It was too good to pass up at that price, that's for sure. If you really want it, I'd encourage you to take advantage of this deal!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Mirror Image

Quote from: classicalgeek on December 06, 2021, 02:55:36 PM
It was too good to pass up at that price, that's for sure. If you really want it, I'd encourage you to take advantage of this deal!

Truth be told, I own most of the contents I'd want from that set anyway and I just don't have the space for it. It's a rather large set.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: classicalgeek on December 06, 2021, 01:51:37 PM
I wasn't thinking of buying this box... it was hovering around $300 or more... but then it was on sale here (https://classical.centerstagestore.com/), and well...

SO much good stuff in this box... where do I begin? One of *THE* great Mahler cycles... some gorgeous late Mozart... great Schumann and Brahms... my go-to recording of Copland's Third Symphony... authoritative accounts of Bernstein's own works...

It is, of course, a matter taste, but I almost always strongly prefer Bernstein's earlier recordings made on Columbia (now Sony) mostly with the New York Philharmonic. The Mahler, in particular. I really only find his later Schumann recordings to be truly remarkable. There are a few late recordings that are so truly bizarre that they are in a category of their own, such as the Sibelius second symphony and Tchaikovsky Pathetique, in which some movements are performed at basically half-tempo. Something that has to be experienced once, at least.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

JBS

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 06, 2021, 02:01:24 PM
One hell of a box set. A great buy! I'm certainly considering it myself.

That might qualify as a SDCB.
But I'm like you: I have most of it already in the form of this series, which is mostly grouped by composer [Elgar got slipped into the Sibelius set; Mahler got divided into 3 sets]

[Which is actually the only one I don't have--I skipped it because I have the DVD of the concert videos made in conjunction with the audio recordings].

So all I'm really missing is Bernstein's own works, and this set just usn't worth it.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on December 06, 2021, 06:43:33 PM
That might qualify as a SDCB.
But I'm like you: I have most of it already in the form of this series, which is mostly grouped by composer [Elgar got slipped into the Sibelius set; Mahler got divided into 3 sets]

[Which is actually the only one I don't have--I skipped it because I have the DVD of the concert videos made in conjunction with the audio recordings].

So all I'm really missing is Bernstein's own works, and this set just isn't worth it.

Ah yes, I own several of those elongated box sets, too and, now that I'm really thinking about it, the box set just isn't worth it for me either.

Florestan

A gift to myself on three cumulated occasions: Feast of St. Andrew (November 30, my namesake and patron saint of Romania), my upcoming birthday (December 13)) and Christmas.

plus the odd man out:

being the Romanian edition of Jan Potocki's The Manuscript Found in Saragossa.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on December 07, 2021, 11:15:40 AM
A gift to myself on three cumulated occasions: Feast of St. Andrew (November 30, my namesake and patron saint of Romania), my upcoming birthday (December 13)) and Christmas.

plus the odd man out:

The CDs look great, and that book is great fun! The late Francisco Nieva made a stage adaptation here in Madrid some 20 years ago that was very enjoyable...

Congratulations on your Santo and your upcoming birthday, Andrei:)

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on December 07, 2021, 11:22:54 AM
The CDs look great, and that book is great fun! The late Francisco Nieva made a stage adaptation here in Madrid some 20 years ago that was very enjoyable...

A stage adaptation of that monster of a book, with so many plots and subplots? Is it even feasible, I wonder... ???

QuoteCongratulations on your Santo and your upcoming birthday, Andrei:)

Muchas gracias, Rafael!

Karl Henning

Quote from: ritter on December 07, 2021, 11:22:54 AM

Congratulations on your Santo and your upcoming birthday, Andrei:)

Happy Name Day & birthday, Andrei!

And our Cato put me onto the Potocki, which is indeed great fun!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on December 07, 2021, 11:32:58 AM
A stage adaptation of that monster of a book, with so many plots and subplots? Is it even feasible, I wonder... ???

A lot must perforce be missed, but what remains must be ripping fun.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 07, 2021, 11:41:07 AM
Happy Name Day & birthday, Andrei!

Thank you, Karl!

QuoteAnd our Cato put me onto the Potocki, which is indeed great fun!

I've been meaning to pull the trigger on it for a very long time --- now I did it at long last. I expect a very good read indeed. This Count Jan Potocki was certainly a most interesting personality.

classicalgeek

Quote from: Florestan on December 07, 2021, 11:15:40 AM

plus the odd man out:

Those Mozart Symphonies with Kertesz look enticing! I'm sure they're wonderful.

Quote from: Spotted Horses on December 06, 2021, 06:37:05 PM
It is, of course, a matter taste, but I almost always strongly prefer Bernstein's earlier recordings made on Columbia (now Sony) mostly with the New York Philharmonic. The Mahler, in particular. I really only find his later Schumann recordings to be truly remarkable. There are a few late recordings that are so truly bizarre that they are in a category of their own, such as the Sibelius second symphony and Tchaikovsky Pathetique, in which some movements are performed at basically half-tempo. Something that has to be experienced once, at least.

I've been wanting to track down Bernstein's Sony recordings too! He made even more recordings for them than DG - including a lot of recordings of American composers he didn't remake for DG. But it's divided up between so many different boxes: the Symphonies box, the Concertos box, the 'Bernstein: the composer' box, the 'Bernstein Remastered box', plus boxes devoted to individual composers (Beethoven, Haydn, Mahler, Sibelius, Stravinsky, Tchaikovsky...) To my knowledge (and I may be wrong) no one has assembled a 'Bernstein: The Complete Columbia Recordings' box! That would really be something...

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 06, 2021, 07:07:06 PM
Ah yes, I own several of those elongated box sets, too and, now that I'm really thinking about it, the box set just isn't worth it for me either.

Yeah, if you already own the recordings you want from the DG box, no sense in getting it! I'm trying to rebuild my collection on disc, so these conductor and artist boxes are a gold mine for me!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Florestan

Quote from: classicalgeek on December 07, 2021, 12:22:18 PM
Those Mozart Symphonies with Kertesz look enticing! I'm sure they're wonderful.

Will report on them asap.

Carlo Gesualdo

Hello there!

I purchased a fantastic LP of Alexander Mosolov, whit Iron Fundry, Story of a soldier and , piano concerto (paino forte).It's was 35 US + insane shipping!

Also Schutz Sacred cantiones 2 CD LINN label and Frescobaldi Madrigals via Brilliant Classical.

This his promessing, from what I can tell, have a loas of goodies comming my way yeah.

Mirror Image

Just bought:

My rule of thumb with Gergiev is the earlier the recording it is, the more I usually like the performance.

JBS

A quick order before bed

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

Phillipe Gaubert - orchestral music ('Les Chants de la Mer' etc):
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan