Quote from: The new erato on December 08, 2021, 11:15:28 AM
A CD player is not neccessary as you probably know... 😀
This is true but my mental age greatly exceeds my physical age.  ;D

Mirror Image

classicalgeek

Quote from: Madiel on December 08, 2021, 03:17:03 AM
A house.

;D

Congratulations! I wish you nothing but happiness in your new home!

Quote from: The new erato on December 08, 2021, 09:05:13 AM
Congratulations!

And since we're going slightly off-topic, today I signed a contract for a race blue Skoda Enyaq 4x4 electric vehicle. Time to go electric, though sadly long wait times for delivery.

That looks like a nice ride! In the U.S. electric vehicles are still somewhat of a rarity, though they're becoming more common. My car is getting up in age (a 2005 model, with 220,000 miles [354,000 kilometers] on the clock) - I'll probably need to get something newer in the next few years. I'd love to replace it with an electric vehicle if I can!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 08, 2021, 01:11:22 PM
Just bought:

No way! I just bought that too, John. Europadisc is having a BIS sale today only, bought that disc along with these three...

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on December 08, 2021, 04:29:34 PM

No way! I just bought that too, John. Europadisc is having a BIS sale today only, bought that disc along with these three...

Awesome, Greg! 8) I have to say it was the member Klavier who reminded me of this new Aho recording. I had to right this wrong on my end. :)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 08, 2021, 05:04:12 PM
Awesome, Greg! 8) I have to say it was the member Klavier who reminded me of this new Aho recording. I had to right this wrong on my end. :)

These are my first Aho discs, and I like what I've heard so far. Enjoy!

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on December 08, 2021, 05:40:54 PM
These are my first Aho discs, and I like what I've heard so far. Enjoy!

Yeah, he's an awesome composer. For me, the greatest Finn since Sibelius.

classicalgeek

From eBay, for not too much:

I thought somehow I was getting Berglund's Kullervo with the Bournemouth Symphony, not the Helsinki Philharmonic, but I'd already committed to buy before I realized that! Oh well - it will still be a great way to get know a work with which I'm not familiar!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Mirror Image

Quote from: classicalgeek on December 08, 2021, 06:13:18 PM
From eBay, for not too much:

I thought somehow I was getting Berglund's Kullervo with the Bournemouth Symphony, not the Helsinki Philharmonic, but I'd already committed to buy before I realized that! Oh well - it will still be a great way to get know a work with which I'm not familiar!

Awesome! The Bournemouth Kullervo from Berglund is, of course, the one to have, but his Helsinki one is quite good. It's just that I find the Bournemouth one so special because not only for the performance itself but the sense of occasion it must have been, which you can feel it in the performance itself. I mean this is the premiere recording of the work after all. It's quite difficult to find this performance, but I bought mine via Amazon Japan, which looks like this:

Mirror Image

Just bought:

An important release in the Nielsen discography. This is where the magnificent Saga-Drøm comes from, but don't quote on that (maybe our fellow Nielsenite Cesar can confirm this for me?). Anyway, looking forward to hearing this recording.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 08, 2021, 07:21:08 PM
Just bought:

An important release in the Nielsen discography. This is where the magnificent Saga-Drøm comes from, but don't quote on that (maybe our fellow Nielsenite Cesar can confirm this for me?). Anyway, looking forward to hearing this recording.

The very nice booklet (awful cover art, though) contains this:

We do not know whether it was lack of time that was the reason why Nielsen reused his tone poem Saga-drøm (Saga Dream) of 1908, but the piece serves as an excellent introduction to the fairy-tale atmosphere.

I'm familiar with Nielsen's operas, Aladdin and other orchestral works, but not Moderen. I definitely need to hear this.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 08, 2021, 07:44:47 PM
The very nice booklet (awful cover art, though) contains this:

We do not know whether it was lack of time that was the reason why Nielsen reused his tone poem Saga-drøm (Saga Dream) of 1908, but the piece serves as an excellent introduction to the fairy-tale atmosphere.

I'm familiar with Nielsen's operas, Aladdin and other orchestral works, but not Moderen. I definitely need to hear this.

Thanks for feedback, Cesar. And, yes, I hate the cover art --- usually Dacapo is a bit more creative than this, but, oh well, it's the music that counts, right? Anyway, speaking of Nielsen's operas, what do you make of them? Do you like them? I never could get into them, but, yet, I LOVE Sibelius' The Maiden in the Tower, which is his only operatic contribution.

Madiel

Quote from: (: premont :) on December 08, 2021, 09:45:14 AM
Google translate is all you need.

BTW hope you are keeping your Danish alive.

I haven't been doing it enough lately. I have 2 seasons of Badehotellet to watch...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 08, 2021, 08:13:34 PM
Thanks for feedback, Cesar. And, yes, I hate the cover art --- usually Dacapo is a bit more creative than this, but, oh well, it's the music that counts, right? Anyway, speaking of Nielsen's operas, what do you make of them? Do you like them? I never could get into them, but, yet, I LOVE Sibelius' The Maiden in the Tower, which is his only operatic contribution.

Random thoughts:

1. Yes, Saga-Dream predates The Mother, rather than the other way around.

2. I absolutely hate that cover and told Da Capo that when I came out. They claimed that other people had given them positive feedback.

3. This recording of Maskarade is probably the single best opera experience I've had (as not particularly an opera lover). The clarity of it is astounding. I often have a hard enough time understanding singers in my native language. But as a basic Danish speaker I can understand quite a bit of the Danish in this performance.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

MusicTurner

Quote from: Madiel on December 09, 2021, 02:30:54 AM
I haven't been doing it enough lately. I have 2 seasons of Badehotellet to watch...

Quite popular here in DK.

Madiel

Quote from: MusicTurner on December 09, 2021, 03:16:17 AM
Quite popular here in DK.

Very popular as I understand it. Completely unknown here, except due to my former Danish teacher. I buy the DVDs. I quite enjoy it and I knew my parents would too!

MusicTurner

Quote from: Madiel on December 09, 2021, 03:29:26 AM
Very popular as I understand it. Completely unknown here, except due to my former Danish teacher. I buy the DVDs. I quite enjoy it and I knew my parents would too!

Yes, critics here also like it.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on December 09, 2021, 02:35:54 AM
Random thoughts:

1. Yes, Saga-Dream predates The Mother, rather than the other way around.

2. I absolutely hate that cover and told Da Capo that when I came out. They claimed that other people had given them positive feedback.

3. This recording of Maskarade is probably the single best opera experience I've had (as not particularly an opera lover). The clarity of it is astounding. I often have a hard enough time understanding singers in my native language. But as a basic Danish speaker I can understand quite a bit of the Danish in this performance.

Thanks for the information, Madiel. I've got that recording of Maskarade, so perhaps I should give it a fresh listen sometime.

JBS

From AmazonUK via AmazonUS Marketplace, so it won't arrive until the week after Christmas.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on December 09, 2021, 11:22:51 AM

From AmazonUK via AmazonUS Marketplace, so it won't arrive until the week after Christmas.

I have his Mendelssohn PCs recording and it is excellent. Remarkable pianist all-around.