Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akebergv and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

kyjo

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Florestan

John, you might want to consider this as well:

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

The new erato

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on January 18, 2022, 05:09:31 AM
John, you might want to consider this as well:

Thanks, Andrei. I certainly did consider it, but I'll just stick with the Hyperion set for now. I like how the Hyperion set has multiple vocalists, whereas the Bru Zane set only uses one, which is the only negative I can give it and possibly why I didn't pull the trigger on it.

vandermolen

Karlsen: Symphony No.2 for Organ and Orchestra. Thanks to relm 1 for alerting me to this one:

PS Apparently Not! See messages below  ::)

These are for solo organ only.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

ritter

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 18, 2022, 06:00:17 AM
Thanks, Andrei. I certainly did consider it, but I'll just stick with the Hyperion set for now. I like how the Hyperion set has multiple vocalists, whereas the Bru Zane set only uses one, which is the only negative I can give it and possibly why I didn't pull the trigger on it.
As an entry point, I think you're better off with the Hyperion set you ordered, John. If you decide you really like Hahn's songs, then you can go for the Bru Zane (almost, but not quite) compete set.

THREAD DUTY:

Last order for now of OOP French stuff. Jacques Février's traversal of Debussy's piano music on 4 CDs.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on January 18, 2022, 06:58:35 AM
As an entry point, I think you're better off with the Hyperion set you ordered, John. If you decide you really like Hahn's sons, then you can go for the Bru Zane (almost, but not quite) compete set.

THREAD DUTY:

Last order for now of OOP French stuff. Jacques Février's traversal of Debussy's piano music on 4 CDs.

Thanks, Rafael. That's what I believe I'll do. Nice looking Debussy set! Février is quite a fine pianist the best I can recall.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on January 18, 2022, 06:38:48 AM
Karlsen: Symphony No.2 for Organ and Orchestra. Thanks to relm 1 for alerting me to this one:

That CD contains Karlsen's solo-organ symphonies, Jeffrey. They're not for organ and orchestra.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 18, 2022, 11:04:56 AM
That CD contains Karlsen's solo-organ symphonies, Jeffrey. They're not for organ and orchestra.

Thanks Cesar. Actually André just let me know of my boo-boo. Never mind. The CD is quite cheap and André says that it's good so I won't cancel the order.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on January 18, 2022, 11:07:52 AM
Thanks Cesar. Actually André just let me know of my boo-boo. Never mind. The CD is quite cheap and André says that it's good so I won't cancel the order.

Very good, Jeffrey! Enjoy the music!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Looks like the order I placed for the Rossini overtures box set on Naxos got cancelled. Oh well! I'm not upset. I've got too many irons in the fire as it is, so I'm actually relieved.

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 18, 2022, 11:59:48 AM
Looks like the order I placed for the Rossini overtures box set on Naxos got cancelled.

Frankly, I'm relieved. The end has been postponed.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mirror Image

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on January 18, 2022, 12:02:38 PM

Mr Gloom and Doom! 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on January 18, 2022, 12:02:38 PM

Nice save.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Just bought (and clearly in ritter territory now):

Being quite the fan of Cavalleria rusticana, I wanted to dive a bit more into Mascagni's oeuvre. Wolf-Ferrari is next I imagine.

vandermolen

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 19, 2022, 07:56:46 AM
Just bought (and clearly in ritter territory now):

What? No L'amico Fritz?

QuoteWolf-Ferrari is next I imagine.

Very good, John.  You've finally seen the light.  :laugh:

Mirror Image

Also bought three rare Respighi opera recordings: