Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akebergv and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Madiel

Well we started our own Haydn nickname project right here on GMG didn't we?

I don't generally remember the specific suggestions, but at the very least I'm surprised that the "bassoon fart" has never caught on for Number 93. Surely, people have been reacting to that moment for a couple of centuries.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Madiel on January 23, 2022, 06:56:25 PM
Well we started our own Haydn nickname project right here on GMG didn't we?

I don't generally remember the specific suggestions, but at the very least I'm surprised that the "bassoon fart" has never caught on for Number 93. Surely, people have been reacting to that moment for a couple of centuries.

I thought 93 was known as "The Flatulent." :) I seem to remember The Sarge campaigning for a nickname for one of the symphonies, I can't recall which.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

vandermolen

Quote from: vers la flamme on January 23, 2022, 06:59:40 AM
Not purchased today, but I loaded up on some Alwyn over the past week or so.

Should keep me busy for a bit  ;D
Great choices! I especially like 'Aphrodite in Aulis' from the top Naxos CD, which was a new discovery for me.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

JBS

Quote from: Spotted Horses on January 23, 2022, 07:04:39 PM
I thought 93 was known as "The Flatulent." :) I seem to remember The Sarge campaigning for a nickname for one of the symphonies, I can't recall which.

He calls the 99th "The Cat".
ATM I don't remember why.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on January 24, 2022, 05:24:12 AM
He calls the 99th "The Cat".
ATM I don't remember why.

The slyly ingratiating second subject in the opening Vivace assai
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Irons

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 23, 2022, 04:46:56 PM
I imagine that it's as simple as a lot of tasty symphonies don't have nicknames attached to them. I doubt it's any actual quarrel with the nicknamed symphonies.

It is and supposedly that is where the problem lies. Being the devils advocate should a body of works be chosen on their excellence not if posterity happens to give them a nickname? In marketing terms it was a brilliant idea as the cover art of each issue features highly imaginative use of the nickname.   
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mirror Image

Bought a bit earlier this morning (orders placed with Presto, eBay and Amazon FR and US MP):

vandermolen

Walton Henry V
This is the second recording narrated by a TV detective. The first one was John 'Bergerac' Nettles and now we have Kevin 'Lewis' Whately:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 24, 2022, 07:57:25 AM
Bought a bit earlier this morning (orders placed with Presto, eBay and Amazon FR and US MP):

May I suggest this for your new avatar?

;D

And btw, try this as well

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on January 24, 2022, 09:58:23 AM
May I suggest this for your new avatar?

;D

And btw, try this as well

Hah. Well, thanks for the suggestion, but I've got enough Schoeck for now. :) I own a few other Schoeck recordings in my collection, but felt it was time to expand my collection for this composer.

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 24, 2022, 10:18:08 AM
Hah. Well, thanks for the suggestion, but I've got enough Schoeck for now. :) I own a few other Schoeck recordings in my collection, but felt it was time to expand my collection for this composer.

An interesting composer for sure, with a personal style and musical esthetics.

ritter

Interesting purchases, John! I'm not that much of a fan of Schoeck, but think very highly of Penthesilea. I have the recording you just bought, as well as the live one from Salzburg under Gerd Albrecht. I also got that recording of Venus some time ago, but am embarrassed to admit I still haven't listened to it. There's another opera, Massimila Doni (based on Balzac) that has some great moments.

FYI, that recording of Das Schloss Dürande is of a recently revised edition of the libretto, as the original was compromised by a style that was meant to please (it seems, unsuccessfully) the Nazi regime (the work was premiered in Berlin in 1943). I'm considering the purchase of the recording myself.  :)

That set of the lieder looks very interesting, but the production values seem to be very low: they manage to get the names of not one but two singers wrong on the cover: it's Juliane Banse (not Bande) and Cornelia Kallisch (not Gallisch)  ::). Be that as it may, the lineup of soloists is impressive, starting with the great Christine Schäfer.

The Martin works look interesting, and all are unknown, except for Le Vin herbé, an interesting, ascetic version of the Tristan and a Isolde myth (a sort of poor man's counterpart to Wagner's take on the same subject).

Enjoy these, and please do report when you've listened to them!

Good evening to you.  :)

EDIT: It turns out I had listened to Venus about three years ago, when I got the set. Revisiting it as I write...wonderful, luscious late-romanticism!

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on January 24, 2022, 10:42:35 AM
the production values seem to be very low: they manage to get the names of not one but two singers wring on the cover: it's Juliane Banse (not Bande) and Cornelia Kallisch (not Gallisch)  ::).

And you managed to get one word wring wrong....  :laugh:

Buenas tardes, don Rafael!

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on January 24, 2022, 10:48:39 AM
And you managed to get one word wring wrong....  :laugh:

Buenas tardes, don Rafael!
Exactly, the folk at NCA lacked a proofreader like you!  :D

Good evening, Andrei!

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on January 24, 2022, 10:42:35 AM
Interesting purchases, John! I'm not that much of a fan of Schoeck, but think very highly of Penthesilea. I have the recording you just bought, as well as the live one from Salzburg under Gerd Albrecht. I also got that recording of Venus some time ago, but am embarrassed to admit I still haven't listened to it. There's another opera, Massimila Doni (based on Balzac) that has some great moments.

FYI, that recording of Das Schloss Dürande is of a recently revised edition of the libretto, as the original was compromised by a style that was meant to please (it seems, unsuccessful) the Nazi regime (the work was premiered in Berlin in 1943). I'm considering the purchase of the recording myself.  :)

That set of the lieder looks very interesting, but the production values seem to be very low: they manage to get the names of not one but two singers wrong on the cover: it's Juliane Banse (not Bande) and Cornelia Kallisch (not Gallisch)  ::). Be that as it may, the lineup of soloists is impressive, starting with the great Christine Schäfer.

The Martin works look interesting, and all are unknown, except for Le Vin herbé, an interesting, ascetic version of the Tristan and a Isolde myth (a sort of poor man's counterpart to Wagner's take on the same subject).

Enjoy these, and please do report when you've listened to them!

Good evening to you.

Thanks for the feedback, Rafael. Much appreciated. All of these Schoeck recordings were of high interest as I've actually been looking at several of them for several years, especially the lieder box set, which as you rightfully pointed, is plagued with misspellings on the front cover. :) These recordings come from Jecklin recordings, which are incredibly difficult to find individually and I certainly wasn't going to hunt them all down (!!!). As for Martin, he is great favorite of mine who has had a deep impact on me with many of his pieces. He's a fascinating figure in that his overall sound-world straddles so many stylistic strands: from Neoclassical to 12-tone to Impressionism. I own the recording of Le Vin herbé on Jecklin, but that recording leaves much to be desired in terms of audio quality, but it is a fantastic performance nevertheless. I do hope this Reuss recording on Harmonia Mundi "delivers the goods" so to speak. It has a great cast of vocalists namely Sandrine Piau whose voice I've become rather enchanted with over the past year or so.

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Madiel

Martin and Szymanowski string quartets together is definitely an interesting one... and I like what little I know of the performers... report back please!
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on January 24, 2022, 09:35:36 PM
Martin and Szymanowski string quartets together is definitely an interesting one... and I like what little I know of the performers... report back please!

I can go ahead and tell you that the Martin String Quartet is a great piece. I've listened to it online several times, but it's nice to finally buy a hard copy of this recording.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 24, 2022, 08:28:47 PM
If you like that Weigl, you could enjoy this one too:

Stimulating stuff.

I'll consider that, thanks. Weigl seems rather sparsely recorded. JPC has a bit of CPO stuff.

Spotted Horses

These three lossless downloads from eClassical.com

As if I don't have enough Brahms, but I liked the recording of the forth symphony from this series, and generally am enjoying Brahms played by a chamber orchestra which balances the sonority towards the winds.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington