Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Quote from: Spotted Horses on January 24, 2022, 10:51:10 PM
These three lossless downloads from eClassical.com

As if I don't have enough Brahms, but I liked the recording of the forth symphony from this series, and generally am enjoying Brahms played by a chamber orchestra which balances the sonority towards the winds.

I actually did not like the symphonies of Brahms until Mackerras introduced that same concept to me many years ago. The clarity of the various lines was revelatory for me. It changed listening to those works profoundly for me.

prémont

Quote from: aligreto on January 25, 2022, 02:24:17 AM
I actually did not like the symphonies of Brahms until Mackerras introduced that same concept to me many years ago. The clarity of the various lines was revelatory for me. It changed listening to those works profoundly for me.

Even I had problems with the Brahms symphonies. Though admiring the Klemperer recordings among others, it wasn't until I heard the first Adrian Boult recording (PYE LP mono 1950es) that I really "got" the symphonies. The reason was, that Boult performed them more as classical symphonies (post Beethoven) than as the late romantic, autumn colored works we most often hear from other performers. So in a way a parallel to your situation.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

aligreto

Quote from: (: premont :) on January 25, 2022, 03:56:16 AM
Even I had problems with the Brahms symphonies. Though admiring the Klemperer recordings among others, it wasn't until I heard the first Adrian Boult recording (PYE LP mono 1950es) that I really "got" the symphonies. The reason was, that Boult performed them more as classical symphonies (post Beethoven) than as the late romantic, autumn colored works we most often hear from other performers. So in a way a parallel to your situation.

That is a good point that you make.

Spotted Horses

I listened to Brahms 3 this week, and I recall that the first 20 or so times I listened to Brahms 3, it was an LP recorded by Karajan in 1978. I loved it, and still do enjoy it, but it was string heavy, and the winds were not heard as brightly as they should have (probably having as much to do with engineering as anything else). Later I came upon other versions, such as the Bohm/WPO (DGG), Maazel Cleveland (Decca), Boult/LSO (EMI), Barbirolli/WPO (EMI), Ansermet/OSR and finally I came across the Telarc recordings using a chamber orchestra conducted by Mackerras. All of the different approached peeled away different layers of the Onion, and brought to light different sides of the music. The main thing that is important to me is that every line sings in Brahms.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Madiel

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 24, 2022, 09:48:19 PM
I can go ahead and tell you that the Martin String Quartet is a great piece. I've listened to it online several times, but it's nice to finally buy a hard copy of this recording.

But is this a version of the Szymanowski quartets you'd recommend?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on January 25, 2022, 06:25:47 AM
But is this a version of the Szymanowski quartets you'd recommend?

No, absolutely not and this recording doesn't contain both of Szymanowski's SQs (just the 2nd). This is the recording I would recommend for the Szymanowski's SQs:

Madiel

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 25, 2022, 06:39:48 AM
No, absolutely not and this recording doesn't contain both of Szymanowski's SQs (just the 2nd). This is the recording I would recommend for the Szymanowski's SQs:

Gotcha.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Daverz

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 25, 2022, 06:39:48 AM

Mirror Image

Just bought off eBay:

Judith will be a new work to me. Never heard it previously.

Also bought, but this morning:

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 25, 2022, 09:45:36 PM
Just bought off eBay:

Love the Vanguard/Honegger recordings, although I too haven't heard Judith in ages.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 26, 2022, 10:02:21 AM
Love the Vanguard/Honegger recordings, although I too haven't heard Judith in ages.

Everything I bought should be good. Not just the Honegger. ;)

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 26, 2022, 10:03:14 AM
Everything I bought should be good. Not just the Honegger. ;)
Yes, I hope so John.

New purchase.
Frank Martin 'In Terra Pax', my favourite work by this composer. I originally came across it coupled with my double LP set of Honegger's 'King David' (Ansermet)

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 26, 2022, 11:25:50 AM
Yes, I hope so John.

New purchase.
Frank Martin 'In Terra Pax', my favourite work by this composer. I originally came across it coupled with my double LP set of Honegger's 'King David' (Ansermet)

Sweet! I just bought this recording, too! Also bought:

I probably don't need another recording of Golgotha since I already own three of them, but I've always been impressed with Harmonia Mundi's high production standards and I hope this Reuss recording measures up.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 24, 2022, 07:57:25 AM
Bought a bit earlier this morning (orders placed with Presto, eBay and Amazon FR and US MP):

Just bought off eBay:

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 26, 2022, 11:43:05 AM

Sweet! I just bought this recording, too! Also bought:

I probably don't need another recording of Golgotha since I already own three of them, but I've always been impressed with Harmonia Mundi's high production standards and I hope this Reuss recording measures up.

I think after receiving these purchases that I'll be done for awhile. My current goal is not to buy anything for the rest of the year. Let's see if I can do it.

JBS

I will not tease John about how long that resolve will last

TD
Landed today

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

classicalgeek

Just bought off eBay:

That's a *really* nice haul. Enjoy!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on January 26, 2022, 01:17:55 PM

:P

Mirror Image

Quote from: classicalgeek on January 26, 2022, 01:51:36 PM
That's a *really* nice haul. Enjoy!

Thanks, classicalgeek. Definitely looking forward to hearing a lot of this music. Some of it is unknown to me.

Brian

I love when John decides to "go big or go home"   ;D

I know very little of those recordings but have sampled Miguel Baselga's work with an eye to maybe purchase, and have consistently enjoyed it.