Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on January 26, 2022, 04:21:33 PM
I love when John decides to "go big or go home"   ;D

I know very little of those recordings but have sampled Miguel Baselga's work with an eye to maybe purchase, and have consistently enjoyed it.

;D Yes, I listened to a bit of the Baselga Falla recording and found it fantastic. Oh, don't forget when you put in orders, you "go big", too. ;) But you don't buy all year long, so I admire your willpower. I could learn much from you.

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 26, 2022, 04:32:43 PM
;D Yes, I listened to a bit of the Baselga Falla recording and found it fantastic. Oh, don't forget when you put in orders, you "go big", too. ;) But you don't buy all year long, so I admire your willpower. I could learn much from you.
Sometimes if I break a promise and buy something, I just don't post it here, out of shame  ;D ;D

Actually did not do a big start of the year order this time! Space is really limited in the house now, I'm up against the edge of it. But there are some box sets like that Albeniz which are oh so tempting...

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on January 26, 2022, 05:13:52 PM
Sometimes if I break a promise and buy something, I just don't post it here, out of shame  ;D ;D

Actually did not do a big start of the year order this time! Space is really limited in the house now, I'm up against the edge of it. But there are some box sets like that Albeniz which are oh so tempting...

Be strong! :) I do love seeing those large hauls from you (even if a lot of the repertoire aren't particularly interesting to me).

Madiel

Quote from: JBS on January 26, 2022, 01:17:55 PM
I will not tease John about how long that resolve will last

Oh please. It's January. You'll have plenty of other resolutions to tease him about later in the year, skipping one is no great burden.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

The new erato

Trying not to overdose on the buying endorfins but to regulate them in healthy doses over the year is an art to be learned.

Madiel

Over "the year"... well it's over a year since my last classical purchase. Admittedly there's been some pop but not much.

...buying a house instead might have been a factor.

EDIT: For one thing, I deliberately decided not to even go looking at buying a certain album yet because I wanted to avoid any timing problem with shipping. So in that case the house really was a factor. I can start buying things again once (1) I've changed address, and (2) I've ensured I haven't run out of money in the process.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on January 26, 2022, 11:35:08 PM
Trying not to overdose on the buying endorfins but to regulate them in healthy doses over the year is an art to be learned.

Absolutely!

Quote from: Madiel on January 26, 2022, 09:23:07 PM
Oh please. It's January. You'll have plenty of other resolutions to tease him about later in the year, skipping one is no great burden.

:P

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on January 27, 2022, 12:04:29 AM
EDIT: For one thing, I deliberately decided not to even go looking at buying a certain album yet

I can't even remember how many times I deliberately decided not to visit anymore the internet places wherefrom I get new (to me) CDs or boxsets...  :D

Heck, just this week I got these:

Obvioulsy I'm a hopeless addict but I console myself with the thought that there are far worse addictions out there.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

springrite

Quote from: Florestan on January 27, 2022, 07:48:58 AM
Obvioulsy I'm a hopeless addict but I console myself with the thought that there are far worse addictions out there.

Well, it's only a matter of degree around here...
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Irons

What is the consensus of Arvo Part on GMG? I cannot recall his name appearing on the forum too much. A copy turned up today so inexpensive that although I have not heard a note of his music worth purchase if only to re-donate to charity.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

springrite

Quote from: Irons on January 27, 2022, 08:27:45 AM
What is the consensus of Arvo Part on GMG? I cannot recall his name appearing on the forum too much. A copy turned up today so inexpensive that although I have not heard a note of his music worth purchase if only to re-donate to charity.
Consensus? I am not sure if it is even legal around here and, if it is, it rarely happens.  ;)

Part has his share of enthusiasts around here. As for me, I prefer his early works, when he was more radical/modernist, before he became what he is known for today.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

MusicTurner

Quote from: springrite on January 27, 2022, 08:46:04 AM
Consensus? I am not sure if it is even legal around here and, if it is, it rarely happens.  ;)

Part has his share of enthusiasts around here. As for me, I prefer his early works, when he was more radical/modernist, before he became what he is known for today.

;D Agree!

Also, there's a certain uniformity to his later works, making any 'surprise material' to discuss a bit more rare.

The rather early "Tabula Rasa Concerto" and the 1st Symphony are among my favourites - but I do like some of the later vocal+instrumental works too, for example.
As regards the 4th Symphony, I haven't really digged into it yet.

JBS

Quote from: Irons on January 27, 2022, 08:27:45 AM

I have high esteem for Part but don't "like" him: high quality music I don't often feel the need to hear.
The CD you bought has some of his best known works so you'll be able to adequately judge what you think of him based off that.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on January 26, 2022, 04:21:33 PM
I love when John decides to "go big or go home"   ;D

(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JBS

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on January 27, 2022, 07:48:58 AM
I can't even remember how many times I deliberately decided not to visit anymore the internet places wherefrom I get new (to me) CDs or boxsets...  :D

I browse Presto constantly. Research. For the future.

Madiel

JBS

Doesn't Savall seem to be saying
Come to Papa?

Madiel

Quote from: JBS on January 27, 2022, 05:29:48 PM
Come to Papa?

A little too old to play Jesus...

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on January 27, 2022, 05:29:48 PM
Come to Papa?

No, more like "Here kitty, kitty..." :D