Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Irons

Quote from: JBS on January 27, 2022, 12:03:48 PM
I have high esteem for Part but don't "like" him: high quality music I don't often feel the need to hear.
The CD you bought has some of his best known works so you'll be able to adequately judge what you think of him based off that.

I will give it a spin but not holding out for high expectations.

Thanks and for other comments too. It was a "consensus" of sorts. :D
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on January 27, 2022, 05:29:48 PM
Doesn't Savall seem to be saying
Come to Papa?

(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Irons on January 28, 2022, 12:48:36 AM
I will give it a spin but not holding out for high expectations.

Thanks and for other comments too. It was a "consensus" of sorts. :D

A little Pärt goes a long way for me. The only disc I periodically go back to is the ECM classic with Tabula rasa, Fratres &c.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Artem

Quote from: springrite on January 27, 2022, 08:46:04 AM
Consensus? I am not sure if it is even legal around here and, if it is, it rarely happens.  ;)

Part has his share of enthusiasts around here. As for me, I prefer his early works, when he was more radical/modernist, before he became what he is known for today.
What are some of those radical works? I'm only familiar with Alina and Tabula Rasa and Fratres.

JBS

Presto order

Haydn 2032, Vol. 11: Au goût parisien
CD
Quantity: 1   Label: Alpha
Catalogue Number: ALPHA688

[Paul Lewis]
Brahms: Late Piano Works, Opp. 116-119
CD
Quantity: 1   Label: Harmonia Mundi
Catalogue Number: HMM902365

[Fretwork]
Matthew Locke: The Flat Consort
CD
Quantity: 1   Label: Signum
Catalogue Number: SIGCD696

[R. Capucon avec amis]
Arvo Pärt: Tabula Rasa*
CD
Quantity: 1   Label: Erato
Catalogue Number: 9029502957

[Quatour Ebene avec amis]
Schubert: String Quintet & Lieder
CD
Quantity: 1   Label: Erato
Catalogue Number: 2564648761

Rossini: Petite messe solennelle
CD
Quantity: 1   Label: Arcana
Catalogue Number: A494

The Rossini is a PI performance.

*you are allowed to laugh
Quote from: JBS on January 27, 2022, 12:03:48 PM
I have high esteem for Part but don't "like" him: high quality music I don't often feel the need to hear.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

ritter

My Claude Helffer mania continues with this OOP CD of music by Luis de Pablo:

Helffer plays the solo piano part in the Concerto da Camara, which is a version for reduced forces of the Piano Concerto No. 1 (which had been dedicated to Helffer).

And the impact that André Boucourechliev's Les Archipels had on me earlier this afternoon, led me to immediately order this CD of his music for string quartet:

It'll be interesting to listen to two recordings of Archipel II back-to-back, as the Quatuor Ysaÿe also play the piece in the complete Les Archipels CD on MfA I was listening to today. Perforce, if the composer's indications are followed, both performances will be very different from one another, as the musicians are expected to make spur of the moment decisions regarding the development of the score.

Daverz

Come to Papa?

I haven't even gotten around to listening to the old Savall Creation.

TD:

BWV 1014-1019 with modern violin and piano.  Couldn't find this streaming or for download, so had to order physical CDs.

Wanderer

Come to Papa?

Let's see to whom it will come first. 😁
My copy started in Barcelona, lingered for a couple of days in Rome (as would I) and just landed in Athens. Me not being in Athens at the moment, though, it will take a couple more days for it to find its way to me.

springrite

Quote from: Artem on January 28, 2022, 06:49:20 AM
What are some of those radical works? I'm only familiar with Alina and Tabula Rasa and Fratres.

There is a BIS CD containing the first three symphonies, the cello concerto "Pro et Contra", and the Perpetual Mobile, conducted by Neeme Jarvi. Try that one.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Madiel

I love the cover of holding a Scarlatti book, as published by Henle. Hey, I could go buy that book and try playing it.  :laugh:
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mountain Goat

Prompted by a recent discussion on here, finally ordered the Warner Saint-Saëns Edtion today:

Also shoved Dutoit's Honegger symphonies in my basket as an afterthought:

A recent thread about Honegger reminded me that I know very little of his music - I heard his Symphony No. 3 (Liturgique) in concert a few years ago and was rather impressed with it, but my mental note to explore more of his music didn't result in any action... until now!

Iota

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 28, 2022, 05:03:36 AM
A little Pärt goes a long way for me. The only disc I periodically go back to is the ECM classic with Tabula rasa, Fratres &c.

Ditto. Plus a need to indulge a yearning for Spiegel im Spiegel from time to time.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mountain Goat on January 30, 2022, 11:13:15 AM
Prompted by a recent discussion on here, finally ordered the Warner Saint-Saëns Edtion today:

Also shoved Dutoit's Honegger symphonies in my basket as an afterthought:

A recent thread about Honegger reminded me that I know very little of his music - I heard his Symphony No. 3 (Liturgique) in concert a few years ago and was rather impressed with it, but my mental note to explore more of his music didn't result in any action... until now!

Pounds the table! I do wish you would go for the Baudo set of Honegger symphonies instead of Dutoit who is good but not quite in same league as Baudo.

Mountain Goat

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 30, 2022, 01:29:27 PMPounds the table! I do wish you would go for the Baudo set of Honegger symphonies instead of Dutoit who is good but not quite in same league as Baudo.

Ah never mind, it was cheap anyway! I did look at Baudo but it was twice the price and had several reviews criticising the sound, and I couldn't find any samples anywhere to judge for myself. At least you didn't say Dutoit was awful, I think I can live with "good but not quite in same league"  :laugh:

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mountain Goat on January 30, 2022, 02:24:08 PM
Ah never mind, it was cheap anyway! I did look at Baudo but it was twice the price and had several reviews criticising the sound, and I couldn't find any samples anywhere to judge for myself. At least you didn't say Dutoit was awful, I think I can live with "good but not quite in same league"  :laugh:

Oh, there's no doubt you'll enjoy Dutoit's set and, yes, I certainly made no implication that Dutoit's Honegger was bad. I also like Plasson's EMI cycle. It's just Baudo has more grit in his performances that's especially appealing to me.

Mountain Goat

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 31, 2022, 11:01:58 AM
Oh, there's no doubt you'll enjoy Dutoit's set and, yes, I certainly made no implication that Dutoit's Honegger was bad. I also like Plasson's EMI cycle. It's just Baudo has more grit in his performances that's especially appealing to me.

CDs arrived today so I look forward to hearing them! I may still keep an eye on the Baudo set in case I find it at a good price. David Hurwitz was also very enthusiastic about it.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Mountain Goat on January 31, 2022, 12:17:10 PM
CDs arrived today so I look forward to hearing them! I may still keep an eye on the Baudo set in case I find it at a good price. David Hurwitz was also very enthusiastic about it.

I find Baudo's set to be my favorite overall and the audio quality strikes me as exceptional for its era. The Dutoit set has some wonderful recordings, the Symphony No 4 and Pastorale d'été. I was less impressed with the 3rd and 5th symphony, which I listened to recently. I have not listened to Dutoit in it's entirety yet.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

classicalgeek

This weekend, at a Seattle-area record shop:

I figure Sony won't be reissuing the Szell Box anytime soon - or that I'll see it for anything resembling a reasonable price - so I'd better start adding the Szell recordings I want in my collection! This Beethoven Piano Concerto set is one of the all-time greats, and his Slavonic Dances are my reference set (even if Szell tinkers with the orchestration ;D). I remember really enjoying Giulini's Bruckner 9 with Vienna, so I figured why not try his Eighth?
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan