Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akebergv and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mapman

I went back to that incredible book sale for the last day, so all CDs were $1. It seems like I am the only person in the area with an interest in this music, since almost nothing sold in a week. Here are some highlights: (I'm not sure how I missed the Atterberg last week, and I now know that I enjoy Rubbra.)

André

Mirror Image

Curiosity got the better of me:

As many members here are aware, Strauss is one of my favorite composers (in my "Top 5" actually). It's just too bad the Horn Concertos, Oboe Concerto and Violin Concerto aren't in this set. We do get Burleske and Festliches Präludium, though, which are fun romps.

MusicTurner

Quote from: André on May 22, 2022, 11:39:09 PM
Beautiful haul !

+1 - a lot of good stuff.

As a side remark, Hogwood's Gade set is generally the best of those in existence, Järvi being too rushed, and Schønwandt's at times pedestrian.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: MusicTurner on May 23, 2022, 10:06:41 AM
As a side remark, Hogwood's Gade set is generally the best of those in existence, Järvi being too rushed, and Schønwandt's at times pedestrian.

I beg to differ. The timpani in the Hogwood set sound tepid and shy. Järvi is the man for me.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

MusicTurner

Maybe so at times, but in a obvious example like the start of Finale of the First Symphony, the timpani are surely still there, with Hogwood, and in general, Järvi's fast briefness tends to provide more aura of classicism, not romanticism, IMO. But each to his own.

Mapman

Quote from: MusicTurner on May 23, 2022, 10:06:41 AM

How many places other than this do people compare recordings of Gade? ;D
I only know of him because I found the Fantasy Pieces for clarinet in my college's library, and enjoyed playing them. This will be my first encounter with his other work.

Mirror Image

FWIW, I don't find Gade too interesting of a composer, especially when compared to those that came later: Nielsen, Langgaard, Holmboe et. al.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 23, 2022, 10:41:46 AM
FWIW, I don't find Gade too interesting of a composer, especially when compared to those that came later: Nielsen, Langgaard, Holmboe et. al.

He's not an indispensable composer to me either, but he did write some good works. BTW, IIRC Langgaard admired Gade.

Good Kabalevsky avatar, John!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

MusicTurner

Gade's 1st and 5th symphonies (no.5 features a concertante piano) are rather immediately striking, the others often a bit more introvert, but also even autumnal, such as the 8th.

I agree that there are better, modern Danish symphonists, though - however, Langgaard's 3rd was probably unthinkable without Gade's 5th, etc.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 23, 2022, 10:45:04 AM
He's not an indispensable composer to me either, but he did write some good works. BTW, IIRC Langgaard admired Gade.

Good Kabalevsky avatar, John!

8) Indeed. I may not be too impressed with Gade's music, but look at the composers he taught: Edvard Grieg, Carl Nielsen, Louis Glass, Elfrida Andrée, Otto Malling, August Winding and Asger Hamerik.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Mapman on May 22, 2022, 06:42:45 PM
I went back to that incredible book sale for the last day, so all CDs were $1. It seems like I am the only person in the area with an interest in this music, since almost nothing sold in a week. Here are some highlights: (I'm not sure how I missed the Atterberg last week, and I now know that I enjoy Rubbra.)

wow - well done!!

vers la flamme

Man, where do you live? I want in on this book sale.

Lisztianwagner

I've loved the Zemlinsky music I've listened so far, so I finally decided to buy some recordings: on spotify I had already listened to the Chailly performances, which sounded terribly good, as well as the Schoenberg Quartet's interpretations of the String Quartets, so they seemed a good choice.

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on May 24, 2022, 07:45:34 AM
I've loved the Zemlinsky music I've listened so far, so I finally decided to buy some recordings: on spotify I had already listened to the Chailly performances, which sounded terribly good, as well as the Schoenberg Quartet's interpretations of the String Quartets, so they seemed a good choice.

Nice! Are these the CDs or digital downloads?

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 24, 2022, 07:49:40 AM
Nice! Are these the CDs or digital downloads?

Digital downloads, I didn't find the CD versions.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Karl Henning

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on May 24, 2022, 07:45:34 AM

Love that Schoenberg Quartet set!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 23, 2022, 10:20:33 AM
I beg to differ. The timpani in the Hogwood set sound tepid and shy. Järvi is the man for me.

Hmmmm...really? The Hogwood recording of the Gade 1st Symphony (the only one of his symphonies that I really care about, tbh) stands out to me because of the imposing timpani playing. ;D
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

classicalgeek

Outstanding, Mapman - happy listening! You've made out very well from that book sale. Friends of the Seattle Public Library used to (maybe they still do?) had a biannual book sale, and they at least had a few good classical CDs on offer for cheap. Nothing like what you've encountered, though!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan