Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses

Wanted and HIP performance of Mozart K251.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Karl Henning

Quote from: classicalgeek on May 27, 2022, 06:37:53 PM
Thank you! I look forward to listening to them!

I've liked everything I've heard of Mackerras in Czech music so far!

Happy birthday!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 26, 2022, 07:03:46 AM
Bought late last night:

Hat-tip to Kyle for the Poulenc. I don't think I own a complete recording of Les Animaux modèles unless the Prêtre recording is of the full ballet. I'll have to double check.

Pounds the table!! You'll find a wealth of delectable music in that complete score.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on May 28, 2022, 07:58:09 AM
Pounds the table!! You'll find a wealth of delectable music in that complete score.

Indeed, a supremely enchanting creation.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on May 28, 2022, 07:58:09 AM

Great to read!  8)

TheGSMoeller

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 28, 2022, 06:54:59 PM
Sibeli-thon!

The Berglund/Bournemouth set is absolutely indispensable. An essential acquisition for any Sibelian. The Gabrieli chamber disc is also first-rate. The Gibson symphony cycle needs a remastering, but his 2-CD set of the tone poems under the Chandos Classics moniker is outstanding, but it's been remastered. I never understood why Chandos doesn't release all of Gibson's Sibelius and remaster it. And this brings me to Colin Davis' LSO cycle on RCA, it's a misfire. I love his Boston cycle, but I need revisit his LSO Live cycle to see how I feel about it. I'm afraid I just couldn't muster much enthusiasm for the cycle on RCA.

Papy Oli

A couple of used copies on the way:

Olivier

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 28, 2022, 07:18:18 PM
The Berglund/Bournemouth set is absolutely indispensable. An essential acquisition for any Sibelian. The Gabrieli chamber disc is also first-rate. The Gibson symphony cycle needs a remastering, but his 2-CD set of the tone poems under the Chandos Classics moniker is outstanding, but it's been remastered. I never understood why Chandos doesn't release all of Gibson's Sibelius and remaster it. And this brings me to Colin Davis' LSO cycle on RCA, it's a misfire. I love his Boston cycle, but I need revisit his LSO Live cycle to see how I feel about it. I'm afraid I just couldn't muster much enthusiasm for the cycle on RCA.

Hey John. Thanks for the feedback, and I know I'm in the minority with preferring both Davis' LSO accounts to his earlier BSO. Also this seems to be the only easily accessible version of the Piano Quintet which is a shame, it's a lovely work.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 29, 2022, 05:18:27 AM
Hey John. Thanks for the feedback, and I know I'm in the minority with preferring both Davis' LSO accounts to his earlier BSO. Also this seems to be the only easily accessible version of the Piano Quintet which is a shame, it's a lovely work.

Well, there's this other recording of the Piano Quintet in G minor on BIS, but I'm not sure if it's OOP:

I don't own this particular issue on BIS, but I own the performance when I bought all of the Sibelius Edition box sets (13 volumes in all).

Que

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 29, 2022, 04:09:49 AM

Those are prime picks!  :)

Que

Used items purchased the day before yesterday during a day in Strasbourg, en route to our 1st holiday destination in Switzerland  (Wallis/Valais). In the charming old town of Strasbourg I stumbled upon a shop with an amazing 2nd hand colection: all items in new cases and sealed. Very reasonable prices: €7 for a single, €9 for a double. Amongst the many options, I had to make some tough choices. These I picked:

vers la flamme

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 29, 2022, 04:09:49 AM

That Harnoncourt SMP is stellar. My favorite of the few that I've heard. (Though I can't say I always have much patience for the work.)

MusicTurner

Quote from: Que on May 29, 2022, 09:03:47 AM
Used items purchased the day before yesterday during a day in Strasbourg, en route to our 1st holiday destination in Switzerland  (Wallis/Valais). In the charming old town of Strasbourg I stumbled upon a shop with an amazing 2nd hand collection: all items in new cases and sealed. Very reasonable prices: €7 for a single, €9 for a double. Amongst the many options, I had to make some though choices. These I picked:

Congrats - and happy holidays!

Que

Quote from: MusicTurner on May 29, 2022, 09:08:38 AM
Congrats - and happy holidays!

Thnx!  :) 

And thanks to my wife, who patiently waited while I was going through the stock - all excited.   :D

André

Love those Niquet recordings. I'm sure you'll like them !

André

Contents are not what you'd expect:

Includes 3 arrangements of the Chaconne for violin and piano by Mendelssohn, Schumann and one Friedrich Wilhelm Ressel. Played on PI from the arrangers' time (first half of 19th Century).

vandermolen

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 28, 2022, 06:54:59 PM
Sibeli-thon!

Those Alexander Gibson recordings are excellent and rather underrated.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

JBS

After discussion in the Reger thread made me realize I don't have the recordings in this set, I naturally ordered it

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on May 29, 2022, 06:28:25 PM
After discussion in the Reger thread made me realize I don't have the recordings in this set, I naturally ordered it

Nice! From what I've heard of this set so far has been quite good.