Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Just bought the Warner/Tower Records hybrid SACD set of Klemperer's Mahler:

I have an older French issued EMI set of this partial cycle and adore it, but figured this would be a nice upgrade.

Traverso

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 22, 2022, 08:36:40 AM
Just bought the Warner/Tower Records hybrid SACD set of Klemperer's Mahler:

I have an older French issued EMI set of this partial cycle and adore it, but figured this would be a nice upgrade.

They look very nice but I stick with my old EMI CD's.  :)

DavidW

I recently listened to Klemperer's M2 and the sound quality was out of this world!  I thought it must have been a fresh remaster, and this seems to confirm it.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Traverso on June 22, 2022, 08:45:46 AM
They look very nice but I stick with my old EMI CD's.  :)

Quote from: DavidW on June 22, 2022, 09:42:15 AM
I recently listened to Klemperer's M2 and the sound quality was out of this world!  I thought it must have been a fresh remaster, and this seems to confirm it.

Definitely looking forward to it, guys. I have a new remaster of Klemperer's Das Lied von der Erde and I'm quite happy with it, so I'll be interested to hear how it compares with this Warner/Tower Records remaster.

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 21, 2022, 12:50:45 PM
Pounds the table! This has become two of my favorite performances of both concerti. Enjoy!
Great to know John! I'm looking forward to playing it. I like both concertos (concerti).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 24, 2022, 05:36:00 AM

Boy, CDCDCD must've kicked in pretty hard for this purchase, Jeffrey. ;) Not that I'm not guilty of this myself. :) I just bought the last installment of the this Elder series yesterday (Sinfonia Antarctica, Symphony No. 9).

Wanderer

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: JBS on June 26, 2022, 07:14:40 PM

Pounds the table! Great recordings --- the performances are superb.

ritter

From Foyles in London (where I'm on a short business trip):

This will be my first serious exposure to Elisabeth Lutyens music.

For the Malipiero and the Ghedini concerti, but also for the orchestral version (I know the version with piano accompaniment) of Casella's Notturno e tarantella, which is not even mentioned on the front cover.

And used (Foyles has a small section of secondhand CDs):

There's some superb recordings of Ravel's "second" (in terms of popularity, that is) opera, with Maderna (on Testament) and Rosenthal (on INA Mémoire Vive) standing out IMHO, but Cluytens is a favourite conductor of mine, and somehow I expect Denise Duval to excel as Concepción (plus the presence of that great tenor is Jean Giraudeau is an additional bonus).

And ordered from Amazon Spain yesterday:

The correspondence between Argentine aristocrat, publisher and patron of the arts Victoria Ocampo and Ernest Ansermet. The conductor was Ocampo's protégé in Argentina, she performed Honegger's Le Roi David under his baton in Buenos Aires, and they remained lifelong friends.

JBS

Landed today

My inventory of Takemitsu probably doubled with this, and a heavy dose of Messiaen,  but there's also 3 CDs of Chopin and Beethoven's Opus 61a, several Mozart PCs, two recordings of BWV 988, and what seems to be a Buddhist oratorio by Peter Lieberson (King Gesar).

Mirror Image

Just bought for $3 thanks to an Amazon gift card:

Spotted Horses

This, alluded to by Brian, seems like pure gold.

Actually, I recall that I have one volume from this set, containing the arrangement of A German Requiem.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

aligreto

Barbara Strozzi Arias & Cantatas

Wanderer

JBS

Quote from: Wanderer on June 29, 2022, 11:25:58 AM

I have and like those last four. But the Triple Concerto/Choral Fantasy caught me. My two favorite Ludwigian guilty pleasures. I ordered it off Amazon MP and while doing that, also ordered this