Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

All of this landed today. Have to wonder what the mailman thought.

Quote from: JBS on June 26, 2022, 07:14:40 PM

Plus

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 05, 2022, 12:14:52 PM
Indeed. I listened to some of the audio samples via Presto and the music reminded me of a Brazilian Bernstein of sorts. 8)

Cool! Looking forward to listening to that CD!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Just bought this 14 CD set that I couldn't pass up via a seller on Discogs:

I'm usually not someone who buys these conductor-centric box sets, but this one is OOP and the repertoire is OUTSTANDING! Also, I got it for a good price ($100 incl. shipping --- brand new, sealed).

André

I already have the Rhapsodies by Roberto Szidon, but that recording is almost 50 years old.

Wanderer

Quote from: JBS on June 29, 2022, 11:57:31 AM
I ordered it off Amazon MP and while doing that, also ordered this...

Good call.

Quote from: JBS on July 05, 2022, 12:42:30 PM
All of this landed today. Have to wonder what the mailman thought.

Perhaps something in the lines of "I wonder whether he found a way to rip DSD audio out of those SACD's"? 😁

JBS

Quote from: Wanderer on July 06, 2022, 06:46:12 AM
Good call.

Perhaps something in the lines of "I wonder whether he found a way to rip DSD audio out of those SACD's"? 😁
[Re Accentus Beethoven CDs]
I have not yet listened to either of them, but the liner notes reveal a very odd approach to PI: Chamayou and Angelich use an 1892 Pleyel in the Fantasy and the solo concertos as a sort of compromise between modern grands and the fortepianos actually used in Beethoven's day.

Wanderer

JBS

Quote from: André on July 06, 2022, 06:08:21 AM

I already have the Rhapsodies by Roberto Szidon, but that recording is almost 50 years old.

Not criticizing Mr Ivanov since I've never heard him, but...
Jeno Jando
Jeno Jando
Jeno Jando
Jeno Jando
Jeno Jando
Jeno Jando
Jeno Jando
Jeno Jando
Jeno Jando
Jeno Jando
Jeno Jando
Jeno Jando
Jeno Jando
Jeno Jando
Jeno Jando
Jeno Jando
Jeno Jando
Jeno Jando
Jeno Jando

JBS

Quote from: Wanderer on July 06, 2022, 07:26:40 AM

The Tharaud and Quatour Ebene CDs are excellent. The Beethoven and Mendelssohn CDs I find to be decent but I'm not enthusiastic about them (in the case of the latter it's because the Mendelssohn PCs are not works I get enthusiastic about).

Wanderer

Quote from: absolutelybaching on July 06, 2022, 07:20:54 AM
If he'd asked, I'd have told him I had it covered: https://absolutelybaching.com/music-articles/how-to-rip-an-sacd/

Thank you for that. I was only jesting, but this is a thorough article I'm going to save for future reference. I'm aware of the method, having read about it in a similar article in the past (also, I remember reading about another method using first- to third-gen Sony Playstations). Now, all we need is an adventurous forum soul to test it and tell us (and JBS's mailman) whether it actually works.

Quote from: JBS on July 06, 2022, 07:25:55 AM
[Re Accentus Beethoven CDs]
I have not yet listened to either of them, but the liner notes reveal a very odd approach to PI: Chamayou and Angelich use an 1892 Pleyel in the Fantasy and the solo concertos as a sort of compromise between modern grands and the fortepianos actually used in Beethoven's day.

Yes, the rationale for that choice was also mentioned in reviews and it was one of the reasons I investigated further. Hope you enjoy!

Brian

Quote from: JBS on July 06, 2022, 07:31:23 AM
Not criticizing Mr Ivanov since I've never heard him, but...
Jeno Jando
I haven't heard Ivanov either, but I grew up with Szidon as a kid; my parents had the set. Jando is very different and my personal reference - mellow, evocative, very authentically Hungarian, and with more persuasive, colorful improvisations than Szidon has. It's the best thing Jando ever did.

Since both of those pianists are bigtime interventionists and improvisers, it is important to have a set that delivers what Liszt actually wrote. Misha Dichter follows him to the letter and shows just how much fun that can be (and how successful Liszt was at evoking that improvisatory mood, without the performer adding things on). There is a recent cycle on Piano Classics which follows a similar philosophy and was also very good, although I forget the pianist's name. Edit: It's Vincenzo Maltempo, and he allows himself a cadenza in No. 2 only.

I love these works so will stream Ivanov out of curiosity.

Wanderer

Wanderer

Quote from: Brian on July 06, 2022, 08:07:50 AM
There is a recent cycle on Piano Classics which follows a similar philosophy and was also very good, although I forget the pianist's name.

Vincenzo Maltempo. It's actually my current favourite among available versions.

JBS

Quote from: Wanderer on July 06, 2022, 08:08:23 AM

That's a very good performance, although Jacobs includes too much of the libretto that Weber cut out, and adds in some brief speeches for Samael,  to make it a standard.

Mirror Image

Que

Quote from: JBS on July 06, 2022, 06:49:21 PM
That's a very good performance,

Good new!  :)

Quotealthough Jacobs includes too much of the libretto that Weber cut out, and adds in some brief speeches for Samael,  to make it a standard.

The kind of fiddling that is a bit of a habit with Jacobs.

Mirror Image

Bought earlier this morning:

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 06, 2022, 07:31:56 PM
Just bought:

Well, this order ended up getting cancelled due to the seller's own incompetence. The seller stated the item is unavailable, but yet, it was available for purchase through them? These people need to learn how to update their databases.

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 08, 2022, 06:33:51 AM
Well, this order ended up getting cancelled due to the seller's own incompetence. The seller stated the item is unavailable, but yet, it was available for purchase through them? These people need to learn how to update their databases.

There was some idiotic store on Amazon MP that kept doing that to me several years ago.  They kept listing it when they didn't have it.  I was so mad I complained to Amazon about it!

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini