Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses

Quote from: MusicTurner on August 08, 2022, 10:11:23 PM
That sounds better - no doubt a great purchase.

I can't speak of anyone else, but for me, mandatory.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Maestro267

Nice haul of discs today from a market record shop, containing by far the biggest classical collection I've ever seen in such a store:

Holmboe: Symphonies Nos 4 & 5
Holmboe: Symphonies Nos. 8 & 9
Holmboe: Symphonies Nos. 11-13
Aarhus SO/O.A. Hughes

Medtner: Piano Concertos Nos. 1-3; Piano Sonata in G minor; Sonata reminiscenza; Sonata tragica
G.D. Madge (piano)/Artur Rubinstein PO/Stupel

Maxwell Davies: Symphony No. 6; An Orkney Wedding with Sunrise; Time and the Raven
Royal PO/Maxwell Davies

MusicTurner

Quote from: Maestro267 on August 09, 2022, 06:26:33 AM
Nice haul of discs today from a market record shop, containing by far the biggest classical collection I've ever seen in such a store:

Holmboe: Symphonies Nos 4 & 5
Holmboe: Symphonies Nos. 8 & 9
Holmboe: Symphonies Nos. 11-13
Aarhus SO/O.A. Hughes

Medtner: Piano Concertos Nos. 1-3; Piano Sonata in G minor; Sonata reminiscenza; Sonata tragica
G.D. Madge (piano)/Artur Rubinstein PO/Stupel

Maxwell Davies: Symphony No. 6; An Orkney Wedding with Sunrise; Time and the Raven
Royal PO/Maxwell Davies

Great stuff, all of it, including Madge/Stupel in Medtner ...

Papy Oli

Some more second-hand operas (older EMI versions than pictured)

Olivier

Iota

Quote from: Papy Oli on August 09, 2022, 07:27:25 AM

I imagine that's good. I only saw Bohm once, in the ROH, Covent Garden in 1979 conducting Cosi, and was really taken aback by how this frail, seated figure exerted such complete and mesmerising control over proceedings. And the sound he got from the orchestra was to my ears then unprecedented! So transparent and rhythmic. It's still vivid in my head. Different cast to yours (Brigitte Fassbaender, Hermann Prey et al).
Sorry to splurge my uninteresting memory on your post, but hope yours is a good one.

Papy Oli

Quote from: Iota on August 09, 2022, 10:39:29 AM
I imagine that's good. I only saw Bohm once, in the ROH, Covent Garden in 1979 conducting Cosi, and was really taken aback by how this frail, seated figure exerted such complete and mesmerising control over proceedings. And the sound he got from the orchestra was to my ears then unprecedented! So transparent and rhythmic. It's still vivid in my head. Different cast to yours (Brigitte Fassbaender, Hermann Prey et al).
Sorry to splurge my uninteresting memory on your post, but hope yours is a good one.

Nothing to be sorry for, Iota. Glad it triggered such a fond memory.

I just enjoyed the voices, immediacy and orchestral play of this version more than others I sampled (Gardiner, Jacobs, etc). This will do me nicely as my entry version to this work.
Olivier

Iota

Quote from: Papy Oli on August 09, 2022, 10:47:48 AM
I just enjoyed the voices, immediacy and orchestral play of this version more than others I sampled (Gardiner, Jacobs, etc). This will do me nicely as my entry version to this work.

Sounds good! Will try and track it down on streaming at some point, it's been too long since I last listened to Cosi.

ritter

Quote from: Iota on August 09, 2022, 10:39:29 AM
What a coincidence! My father too saw Böhm conduct Così at Covent Garden in 1979. He also reported how frail the conductor appeared, but was also fascinated by the performance.

Quote from: Papy Oli on August 09, 2022, 10:47:48 AM
Well, that Così is a classic by all accounts (even if I'm not really a fan of Mrs. Schwarzkopf). Böhm was the greatest champion of this work in the post-WW2 period (a time when it didn't enjoy that much circulation or appreciation). And those other two recordings you bought are also classics! Enjoy!

Good evening, Iota and Olivier!

Papy Oli

Quote from: ritter on August 09, 2022, 11:09:42 AM
Well, that Così is a classic by all accounts (even if I'm not really a fan of Mrs. Schwarzkopf). Böhm was the greatest champion of this work in the post-WW2 period (a time when it didn't enjoy that much circulation or appreciation). And those other two recordings you bought are also classics! Enjoy!

Good evening Rafael.
I am quite happy with that early build-up of my Opera collection so far . Those sound very promising too :)
Olivier

Iota

Quote from: ritter on August 09, 2022, 11:09:42 AM
What a coincidence! My father too saw Böhm conduct Così at Covent Garden in 1979. He also reported how frail the conductor appeared, but was also fascinated by the performance.

Good evening, ritter! And thanks for sharing, what a nice coincidence!  :) I was young and it was that night I fully fell in love with Cosi, and remained so ever since.
Thanks too for your, as usual, interesting background information. I hadn't realised the pioneering role Bohm played with Cosi.

JBS

I have nice memories of Plasson's Perichole, which I had on LP as a teenager, and of course I already have a recording of Hoffman,  but otherwise all these works will be new to me.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Todd

First purchase in a couple months.  Some dirt cheap Evidence downloads, and a nicely priced download of Fluffy's 52 Tristan. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

ritter

Quote from: Todd on August 10, 2022, 01:07:26 PM

...and a nicely priced download of Fluffy's 52 Tristan.
...which is a superb performance! The early days of "New Bayreuth" at its best. Hope you enjoy it.

Good evening to you, Todd.

Todd

Quote from: ritter on August 10, 2022, 01:12:00 PM
...which is a superb performance! The early days of "New Bayreuth" at its best. Hope you enjoy it.

This performance has received high praise as long as I've known about it, but I just have not bought it until now.  All of Karajan's Wagner that I've heard is excellent - or better.  I can think of no better Parsifal or Meistersinger, and his Ring is bested only by Krauss.  His studio Tristan is quite fine.  I do have high expectations for this.  (I should probably get the other operas pretty soon.)
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Karl Henning

Landed today (and markedly earlier than expected)
Oh, and it was priced at $27.79 when I ordered it. Now it's been hiked up to $65.64
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vers la flamme

Arrived today; unfortunately, the first disc seems to be defective (won't play at all).

Karl Henning

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 10, 2022, 04:26:34 PM

Arrived today; unfortunately, the first disc seems to be defective (won't play at all).

Ugh!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

In a recent audit of my collection I found that I owned six different recordings of Mahler's 10th, and only two of his 1st. Had to try and level the playing field a bit and expand my options so picked up what seems to be generally accepted as one of the best...

Brian

I like the way that Kubelik and his way with woodwinds helps to bring out the Bohemian/Czech origins of early Mahler. This is also true of his Fourth - you can hear Dvorak in the background.

classicalgeek

I've been watching the price for this box fluctuate on Amazon US: first it was out of print and could be had for a small fortune, then it was available for less than $140 US (I almost bought it then), then the price spiked at over $200, and up and down it went. Well, here it was for the lowest price I've seen yet, and I wasn't going to let it slip away this time:

Can't wait! ;D Especially eager to dig into her concerto recordings with Abbado!

So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan