Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: Brian on September 22, 2022, 05:35:48 AMThis was an interesting Wikipedia diversion. Entremont was principal conductor for two years, and then promoted to music director for only a half season, before the orchestra went broke. His debut as music director was canceled for financial reasons.

I did not know the orchestra went bust.  Naturally, I had to mosey on over to the website for the successor Colorado Symphony, where I was greeted by an image of . . . Nathaniel Rateliff.  I dig Rateliff and the Night Sweats, it was just jarring.  Looks like Peter Oundjian is the leader now, and that auditorium looks snazzy.

Hopefully Entremont and the ghost of the Denver band entertains.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: classicalgeek on September 21, 2022, 09:11:06 PM
That's a wonderful set, Ilaria! Really amazing work by the Staatskapelle Dresden, Sinopoli, and the vocal soloists in particular. The Erwartung in this set just blew me away!

Thanks, James, it sounds amazing indeed so far, incredible performances! I've listened to most of the Schönberg included, but not Erwartung yet; I'm looking forward to listen to it anyway.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Todd on September 22, 2022, 05:23:41 AM

About 25 hours of music for two bucks.  I'm tapped.  Among other items, I get more Bingen, another Monteverdi Vespers, and I finally get to hear Philippe Entremont leading the Denver Symphony Orchestra.

Here's what's available on the website:

https://www.classicselectworld.com/collections/digital-downloads?sort_by=price-ascending

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Harry on September 20, 2022, 04:07:59 AM

The Ballet Russes must be a very interesting set!

Here's David Hurwitz's review of the box:

https://youtu.be/KExT3YX-66g

KevinP

Quote from: Madiel on August 27, 2022, 01:23:39 AM
Sorry, what's misleading about the title? I'm not getting it. Do you mean you expected a greater proportion of it to be Josquin?

'Purchases Today'...'I bought this yesterday'

Sorry not to have your question earlier.

The set has finally made its way intuition my hands.

Lisztianwagner

Just bought the MP3 version:

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

ritter

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on September 23, 2022, 02:47:22 AM
Just bought the MP3 version:

Ciao, Ilaria! Nice. I do not know those particular recordings, but the Viola Concerto is a wonderful piece (particularly the last movement IMHO). Then the Cello Concerto is also quite fantastic. I find the Violin Concerto the least interesting of the three (but that's just me).

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: ritter on September 23, 2022, 03:11:45 AM
Ciao, Ilaria! Nice. I do not know those particular recordings, but the Viola Concerto is a wonderful piece (particularly the last movement IMHO). Then the Cello Concerto is also quite fantastic. I find the Violin Concerto the least interesting of the three (but that's just me).

Buenos dias, Rafael! It seemed a very good compromise to start with Walton, since it includes the Symphonies and the Concertos. The Ashkenazy (for the Symphonies) and the Chung (for the VC) performances were praised on the Walton thread, and as a matter of fact, after listening on youtube, I agree they're wonderful.

Todd

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on September 22, 2022, 08:32:36 PM
Here's what's available on the website:

https://www.classicselectworld.com/collections/digital-downloads?sort_by=price-ascending

I have several other sets.  The KLR Trio set may be the greatest non-streaming bargain on the market.

Papy Oli

A few cheap used copies on the way:

Olivier

JBS

Herrrweghe's Bach is excellent (you probably already know that). Those Berlioz and Beethoven recordings are top tier too.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Madiel

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on September 19, 2022, 11:58:17 PM
What set off this cheapy-cheapy music spree was getting an email from ClassicSelect World offering this for $0.00:

Big Choral Music Box, Volume 5: Early Music

For the princely sum of zip/nada/zilch, I wasn't going to pass that up.

I went to the website to see what else they had going cheap (here), and found the Russian, American, English, and French boxes for AU$2 each. That's unbeatable (even if some of the performances may end up being not the best available).

I was a little sad to see the audio files are all VBR MP3s. I was hoping for lossless FLACs, but you can't have everything. (Especially for $2.)

So far, I've only listened to the first of the Russian works, namely the Rachmaninov 2nd Symphony. I'm not a fan of the work (apart from the glorious Big Tune in the Adagio), but the performance by the Royal Philharmonic and Vernon Handley was very good. No complaints there.

I had a quick look at the contents of the other boxes, and in the English set I was pleased to see Handley's version of The Planets. This is what I thought of it when I reviewed it for my Peter's Planets website.

As for the prospect of quite a few of the performances in the boxes originating from the Tring "The Royal Philharmonic Collection" series, I wholeheartedly welcome them. I have a few of those Tring CDs, and like them all. (The Wagner disc, with Vernon Handley, is excellent.)

Onward and upward!

mp3 files being priced appropriately...

Honestly, these days they just shouldn't be offered. It's a technology that was designed for when downloading large files was a challenge. I'm not one of these big audiophiles, but over a decade ago I could rip a CD myself and get a better sounding file than a commercial mp3 of the same music.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 23, 2022, 07:44:27 AM
A few cheap used copies on the way:

That is a very fine haul Olivier.  8)

Papy Oli

Quote from: JBS on September 23, 2022, 12:50:17 PM
Herrrweghe's Bach is excellent (you probably already know that). Those Berlioz and Beethoven recordings are top tier too.

Quote from: aligreto on September 24, 2022, 02:01:05 AM
That is a very fine haul Olivier.  8)

Hi both,
All listened to fully and approved before purchase. It is the first and only set of Planets I listened to in one sitting, having never been convinced by that work before.
Olivier

Todd

Pulled the trigger on Martin Roscoe's cycle.  (Showing just volume five.)

Wanderer

Quote from: ritter on September 20, 2022, 02:13:33 AM
Thanks for the interesting comments , Tassos. Much appreciated.

This was my reaction when I listened to the PC4 earlier this year:
I'm not sure I finally made it to listen to the VC-turned-into-a-PC. Should do so soon (sonce, like you, I really enjoy the work).

Regards,

Thank you for your thoughts on that recording, Rafael. The deviations from the published score are, as you said, interesting and I agree that they do not add to the intrinsic quality of the work - it really shows how distilled and marvelous and inevitable/definitive the published version really is. I hope that that second listen yielded more positive feelings overall regarding the interpretation; though not essential, I did find it a worthwhile reading. And we can never have too many recordings of Op. 61a! 😎

Wanderer

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 24, 2022, 03:00:43 AM
It is the first and only set of Planets I listened to in one sitting, having never been convinced by that work before.

Very glad you discovered this! It is my favourite version of The Planets. And Grainger's The Warriors is an inspired companion piece (in an equally superlative rendition). 

JBS

From Presto

Weinberg: Symphonies Nos. 3 & 7   
Kririll Gerstein (piano), Marie-Christine Zupancic (flute), City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen, ...
Format: CD
Label: DG
Quantity: 1
Catalogue Number: 4862402

Leipzig 1723 - Works By Bach, Graupner   
Stefan Temmingh, Capricornus Consort Basel
Format: CD
Label: Accent
Quantity: 1
Catalogue Number: ACC24375

Luigi Boccherini: 24 String Quartets   
Sonare Quartett, Nomos-Quartett, The Revolutionary Drawing Room