Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Power Pop

Holst: The Planets (Chicago Symphony Orchestra / James Levine)

I bought this 2004 release so I can compare the sound of it to the original 1990 release.

vandermolen

I've become obsessed with this symphony - especially the ghostly night-ride of the finale and the beautiful hymn-like passage which ends the work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Quote from: vandermolen on September 29, 2022, 04:40:04 AM

I've become obsessed with this symphony [Raff's Lenore] - especially the ghostly night-ride of the finale and the beautiful hymn-like passage which ends the work.

His finest essay in the genre, no doubt.

You might want to try his take on Die Schoene Muellerin, it's in the form of a six movement string quartet (a chamber tone poem so to speak) and much more optimistic than Schubert's.  :)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on September 29, 2022, 07:32:57 AM
His finest essay in the genre, no doubt.

You might want to try his take on Die Schoene Muellerin, it's in the form of a six movement string quartet (a chamber tone poem so to speak) and much more optimistic than Schubert's.  :)
Thanks Andrei!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

DavidW

Not a purchase, but I received the Dresden Jochum Bruckner set as a birthday gift.  I used to own and treasure it on cd before it was all streaming.

vandermolen

Quote from: DavidW on September 29, 2022, 03:49:52 PM
Not a purchase, but I received the Dresden Jochum Bruckner set as a birthday gift.  I used to own and treasure it on cd before it was all streaming.
What a nice Birthday present! Happy Birthday!

DavidW

Que

New arrivals:

Wanderer

Having all previous discs of this excellent series, completing Le Sage's traversal of Schumann's piano and chamber music.

Quote from: Que on September 30, 2022, 10:10:27 PM
New arrivals:

Those Koch Schumann issues look very interesting! 😎
I'll investigate.

Que

Quote from: Wanderer on October 02, 2022, 10:34:37 PM

Those Koch Schumann issues look very interesting! 😎
I'll investigate.

They are, and all on period instruments.  :)

I'm kind of picky in  Schumann - sofar my Golden Standard in Schuman is Sviatoslav Richter.

Tobias Koch's approach is different, but I quite like it.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Peter Power Pop

JBS

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on October 03, 2022, 07:18:46 PM
Yep. 2 bucks:

More expensive and much less music.
I call that price gouging.
>:D

Peter Power Pop

Wanderer

Harry

Ordered today, Free postage week
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

JBS

Just now from Presto

All new releases, more or less, and all except the Schubert and one work on the Coleridge-Taylor (the Nonet), music I've not heard before.

Brian

Quote from: JBS on October 05, 2022, 05:46:08 PM
Just now from Presto
All new releases, more or less, and all except the Schubert and one work on the Coleridge-Taylor (the Nonet), music I've not heard before.
Good haul; I've got to order that Kabelac album myself. The slow movement of the Coleridge-Taylor violin concerto has an unforgettable tune.

Peter Power Pop

Prokofiev: Romeo and Juliet (Sydney Symphony / Vladimir Ashkenazy)

My quest to buy all the complete Prokofiev Romeo and Juliets continues.

I think all I have to go is the LSO Gergiev.