Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j winter

$20.97 download, on sale from Qobuz...

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

classicalgeek

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 22, 2023, 10:05:52 AMLanded today:

This one is definitely on my radar! A while back I bought all nine volumes of Bax orchestral music on Chandos, but the symphonies weren't included.

TD:

Ordered from JPC. From what I've heard (lurking on other websites) that this was limited to 1000 copies - fingers crossed that they'll come through!

So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Spotted Horses

Quote from: classicalgeek on January 23, 2023, 08:49:53 AMThis one is definitely on my radar! A while back I bought all nine volumes of Bax orchestral music on Chandos, but the symphonies weren't included.

TD:

Ordered from JPC. From what I've heard (lurking on other websites) that this was limited to 1000 copies - fingers crossed that they'll come through!

From what I know of the industry, 1000 copies is a lot.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Que

Just arrived:

Slightly annoyed by the discovery that this is a huge "brick" with seven separate jewel cases, that will take up a lot of shelf space... :P  I guess this was their way of "recycling" the unsold stock of the individual issues.

But looking forward to giving these a spin!  :)

Florestan

Quote from: Que on January 26, 2023, 08:36:07 AMJust arrived:

You're in for a treat. That Troendlin fortepiano is something else. I enjoy this set a lot.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

With 7 discs, this is the most complete set of Mompou's "complete" piano music sets. I already had the composer's own recordings, split on 4 discs, and 4 discs of Jordi Maso's Naxos series, which has 5 or 6, if I''m not mistaken.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Que

Quote from: Florestan on January 26, 2023, 08:46:59 AMYou're in for a treat. That Troendlin fortepiano is something else. I enjoy this set a lot.

Looking forward it! I'm assuming it is the same wonderful Tröndlin Vermeulen used for his five earlier Schubert recordings on Vanguard.

I was kind of dissapointed that he didn't use it for his complete sonatas  cycle on EtCetera.  Especially because the Streicher sounded quite harsh on the individual double albums. But that sound issue was fortunately fixed for the reissue as a box set - love it now! But I'll be happy to hear the Tröndlin again. :)

Florestan

Quote from: Que on January 27, 2023, 04:06:40 AMLooking forward it! I'm assuming it is the same wonderful Tröndlin Vermeulen used for his five earlier Schubert recordings on Vanguard.

I was kind of dissapointed that he didn't use it for his complete sonatas  cycle on EtCetera.  Especially because the Streicher sounded quite harsh on the individual double albums. But that sound issue was fortunately fixed for the reissue as a box set - love it now! But I'll be happy to hear the Tröndlin again. :)

I have the Etcetera boxset of complete piano music (6 vols, 12 discs) and I didn't notice anything wrong with the Streicher fortepiano.  ???

ritter

From Ludwig Beck in Munich (heavily discounted):

This will be my first exposures to the music of the short-lived Gabriel Dupont (1878-1914).

Que

Quote from: Florestan on January 27, 2023, 04:26:18 AMI have the Etcetera boxset of complete piano music (6 vols, 12 discs) and I didn't notice anything wrong with the Streicher fortepiano.  ???

That's what I said:

Quote from: Que on January 27, 2023, 04:06:40 AMLooking forward it! I'm assuming it is the same wonderful Tröndlin Vermeulen used for his five earlier Schubert recordings on Vanguard.

8)

Florestan

Quote from: Que on January 27, 2023, 12:02:33 PMThat's what I said:

Ah, okay, I wasn't very attentive.

Go figure: I find both the Streicher and the Troendlin fortepiano eminently listenable, and I'm not exactly famous for being a HIPster. They must be something else indeed.  :D

Wanderer

Lisztianwagner

Bought as mp3 downloads:

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Que

Quote from: Florestan on January 27, 2023, 12:06:49 PMAh, okay, I wasn't very attentive.

Go figure: I find both the Streicher and the Troendlin fortepiano eminently listenable, and I'm not exactly famous for being a HIPster. They must be something else indeed.  :D

I have to admit that I was surprised that you ventured onto the dark side... ;D
But seriously: Vermeulen has a real knack for Schubert that stands comparison with the best. And the instruments fit the music well.

Papy Oli

Some used copies on the way:

Olivier

Papy Oli

And from Presto :

The Isoir is backordered, showing as non-available on La Dolce Volta - I'll be dead chuffed if Presto managed to actually deliver a copy.
Olivier

JBS

From Arkivmusic

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mookalafalas

Papy, that is a wonderfull selection. If we were naighbors, I'd show up with a bottle of wine and ask to listen with you 8)

TD:

It's all good...

Papy Oli

Quote from: Mookalafalas on January 28, 2023, 11:53:12 PMPapy, that is a wonderfull selection. If we were naighbors, I'd show up with a bottle of wine and ask to listen with you 8)

I'll raise a glass to that!  8)
Olivier

vandermolen

I caught the last movement (Bloch) on BBC Record Review yesterday and thought 'what's this great piece?' Turns out it's from this new release. The CD gets a rave review in the February Gramophone Magazine. Elgar's 'Viola Concerto' is his Cello Concerto adapted for the Viola:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).