Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Power Pop

Prokofiev:
Romeo and Juliet highlights (The Philadelphia Orchestra / Riccardo Muti)
Lieutenant Kijé Symphonic Suite (Royal Philharmonic Orchestra / Vernon Handley)
Classical Symphony (London Symphony Orchestra / André Previn)

(Details at Discogs)

San Antone

From Hyperion:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strauss (R): Metamorphosen, Capriccio & Piano Quartet- The Nash Ensemble

Mozart: String Quintets- The Nash Ensemble

Schumann: Chamber Music - The Nash Ensemble

Dufay: Lament for Constantinople & other songs - The Orlando Consort

Duruflé: Complete Choral Works- Houston Chamber Choir, Robert Simpson (conductor)

Madiel

Quote from: JBS on March 16, 2023, 06:06:01 PM

Vine is a composer completely new to me;

Well the 1st piano sonata has essentially become his calling card, and it's a stunner. Though I don't know what that performance is like.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

DavidW

I used to own the Barshai, but don't remember selling it but haven't owned it in quite awhile... must have been lost in a move at one point?

Never got around to buying this for some reason, oops:

Re-purchase of my favorite Sibelius cycle, used to have it before I had culled my entire collection for streaming, I still have the rip but I like having a physical copy:

vers la flamme

That Brahms cycle is just phenomenal. In fact those are the recordings that got me into Brahms, and he's now possibly my favorite composer. Have heard great things about the Barshai Shostakovich and Vänskä/Lahti Sibelius too.

Brahmsian

+1 for the Barshai David.

Harry

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Special offer at Europadisc:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Florestan

A batch of vocal music.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

ritter

Something I didn't even know existed:

This CD, issued by the house label of the Orquesta Filarmónica de Málaga, has Cristóbal Halffter conducting in July 2002 Halfbéniz (composed in 2002),the Double Concerto for Violin and Viola (1984) and Réquiem para la libertad imaginada (1971).

The only work I already know is Halffbéniz, a divertimento based on the rhythmic cells of El Albaicín from Iberia.

And I'm really sorry, but there was only one copy for sale, so I cannot deliver on @Brian 's suggestion that I send a Cristóbal Halffter CD to every member on GMG.  ;D

Brian

;D  ;D

I found some YouTube performances of "Premier tono..." but Halfbéniz is not to be found on any free site or streaming service!

Madiel

I know this is my first purchase from Presto since I moved house because it still had my old address. And this is my first purchase of this kind from anyone since... well honestly, it might even be since before I was in the last house. Decades may be involved.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Todd

Took advantage of the Chandos site sale to complete a second Monteverdi Madrigals set and a second complete Soler sonata set, along with some other goodies.  At under $3/title, it's impossible to pass up.  (Qobuz is cheaper for multi-disc sets when they have a download sale, though.)

The Chandos download UX is the worst I have experienced. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

JBS

I was about to ask why you picked an apparently unheard of pianist, and why he needed two CDs to record the Waltzes...
But remembered just in time that you had recently mentioned you were interested in buying scores...

TD

As mentioned in WAYLT2

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Papy Oli

From Presto:

Olivier

Spotted Horses

I overindulged in the Chandos.net sale on Naxos (I forgot who first mentioned it here). In addition to the few items I reported previously, I ended up getting the complete sets of Maxwell Davies symphonies (he didn't record them all), Maxwell Davies String Quartets by the Maggini quartet, The complete Lajtha Symphonies.

I won't clutter your screen with all of them, here are representative covers.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington